What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Merritt Awards for City Selectors

Raider_69

Post Whore
i totally agree with the decrimination idea
i mean, clearly they didnt select alan tongue because he is a ginger ninja just like they didnt select merritt cause he is aboriginal... whats that you say? Lance Thompson and Hazem El Marzi made the teams? Never mind

Nook

Bench
My main problem was that you called him a nuffie. You seem to have completely changed your tune since then. Who do you rate as the best winger in the competition (just out of curiosity)?

Nah, he's still a nuffie compared to the top wingers in the competition. And he's an even bigger nuffie for coming out and whinging about not being selected.

My point with the Galea thing, is that there are far superior players than Galea, even those in his "genre" (the example of Alan Tongue). But these guys will never get a look in because they are echelons behind players with the ability of Hindmarsh, Ryan, O'Donnell and players of that elk.

a) I'd have Benny Galea over Alan Tongue any day, both good players though.

and

b) that's my point.

I think the best wingers in the comp are King and Tate when they are playing there, followed by Daniel Fitzhenry, then a bunch of good wingers like Merritt, El Masri, and the rest, then a tackling bag, then Jason Moodie.

Wilco

Juniors
Nook said:
Nah, he's still a nuffie compared to the top wingers in the competition. And he's an even bigger nuffie for coming out and whinging about not being selected.

and

b) that's my point.

I think the best wingers in the comp are King and Tate when they are playing there, followed by Daniel Fitzhenry, then a bunch of good wingers like Merritt, El Masri, and the rest, then a tackling bag, then Jason Moodie.

Ok, you have lost me. I would take Alan Tongue over Sonny Bill Williams on current form (not a swipe at SBW for the Doggies fans on here).

And yes, your point is very relevant when comparing backrowers where the talent is much more conspicuous. King and Tate were selected as the wingers for AUS. We are talking City- I can understand the selection of Hayne. Looking towards the future. El Masri is a good goal kicker, he is a more than capable winger, but he is 32 and not getting any younger. It's not a well known fact, but Merritt is actually a very good goal kicker. He was the top point scorer for Newtown in 2005, so his form has continued since well before his time back at Souths.

I can not even comprehend how you can rate Daniel Fitzhenry. So I have chosen to all but ignore that statement.

NGR

Juniors
Nook said:

and

b) that's my point.

you are a muppet of the highest oreder!:lol::lol:

if you rate fitzhenry above merrit you should go back to following afl...

galea over tongue, if you are serious i think its time you take your medicine... :crazy::crazy::crazy:

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Alex28 said:
For those who were into me for bringing up the race thing...or who didn't think Merritt would say it...here is the quote straight from Channel Nine (and also seen just then on Sports Tonight):

"I don't know what it is....maybe it is a Souths thing or maybe it is a racial thing. They don't like indigenous players coming through the representative ranks" - Nathan Merritt

So...

NGR - You are a drop kick :)
S.S.T.I.D - f*** off idiot...oh...and pull your head in :)

I was commenting on the channel ten story. I didn't see the nine interview. In the channel ten interview he didn't mention race, ten did.

I still haven't heard him make those comments, but if he did I am very disappointed. I thought he would cop it on the chin. I'd say Choc has been the one stoking the fire.

Nook

Bench
Dkos,

You agree with the selection of Hayne but not El Masri? It's clearly arguable that Merritt should be there ahead of Hayne but the El Masri call is completely fair enough, he's playing well, he has the runs on the board, he deserves to be in these kind of games. If Merritt puts his head down instead of acting like whinging, spoilt prick he might earn the same sort of right.

Fitzhenry is a much better player. Evidence: while Merritt was topscoring for Newtown in PL in 2005, Fitzhenry was scoring the decisive try in the NRL grand final. Oh yeah.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Nook said:
Fitzhenry is a much better player. Evidence: while Merritt was topscoring for Newtown in PL in 2005, Fitzhenry was scoring the decisive try in the NRL grand final. Oh yeah.

Impenetrable logic.

Wilco

Juniors
Nook said:
Dkos,

You agree with the selection of Hayne but not El Masri? It's clearly arguable that Merritt should be there ahead of Hayne but the El Masri call is completely fair enough, he's playing well, he has the runs on the board, he deserves to be in these kind of games. If Merritt puts his head down instead of acting like whinging, spoilt prick he might earn the same sort of right.

I never said that I agreed with it, I said that I can at least see where they are going with it. Rookie of the year from 2006, these games should be looking towards the future. Which for the most part they have done in the past. Merritt is a future rep winger.

I think you might be just about the only person in the world who thinks that Fitzhenry is a great winger and better than El Masri and Merritt. Nook=Daniel Fitzhenry??? :D

Nook

Bench
Merritt is a future rep winger

No he isn't. Haven't you heard? They prefer to keep indigenous types out of rep teams.

Come on, you gotta love Fitzy. The double handgun screaming celebration he did after that grand final try is something I'm going to do when I'm pissed and something good happens until the day I die.

Wilco

Juniors
Nook said:
No he isn't. Haven't you heard? They prefer to keep indigenous types out of rep teams.

Come on, you gotta love Fitzy. The double handgun screaming celebration he did after that grand final try is something I'm going to do when I'm pissed and something good happens until the day I die.

By the time CvC comes around next year Merritt will have scored 70 odd trys in 50 games, and if the selectors don't see the talent and ability of him by then I will accept that he will never play rep footy.

As for Fitzhenry, I have never seen him create his own try like Merritt can do. Until you can show me footage of that, then I will have to say that Merritt's trys especially against Parra in Rd2 and Bulldogs in Rd4 take the cake and eat it all too.

Mr Saab

Referee
I guess the selectors dont put much merit into tries scored. Sure, they are important, but there are alot of little things in the game which they think he doesnt do as well as those chosen

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
Nook said:

and

b) that's my point.

Man, you're being a bit tough on the tackling bag there :sarcasm:

Garts

Bench
Newcastlerabbit said:
Showed more than Merritt.You have to be joking.Merritt was in a team that came last and still posted the most tries,and Hayne was in a semi final team with a decent halfback.

Like I said Scott Donald scored a pile of tries for Manly a few years ago but still was crap.

I think he is a decent player but definately not a NSW rep player, City yes he is good enough but I have no problem with Hayne being picked over him.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
What non-Souths fans and those that don't watch the whole round aren't appreciating is the huge improvement he has made to his game defensively. He is one of our, if not our most reliable defender in the backline. He makes one on one tackles and wraps up the ball, not a lot of wingers can do that. He is picking his time to come in and shut the play down very well.

Honestly, he has done all he can short of save a woman from a burning house and rescue a cat from a tree. Obviously he needs to prove himself over a longer period than 12 months, which is a joke in my opinion because Nev's like Jarryd Hayne, Josh Morris, Luke Douglas and Ben Cross are being selected.

Quite frankly the selections for this match are an insult to all knowledgable rugby league fans.

The Centre

Juniors
I can understand the selectors picking El Masri,but putting Hayne in front of Merritt and Grothe :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: