What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No NRL Overseas in 2011

Titanic

First Grade
I'm sad to report that Australia Network (the ABC's international presence) has canned the NRL for 2011 completely.

Once the face of international rugby league and even last year 4 games a weekend were broadcast plus finals and Origin. Now 5 games of Union + 6 games of AFL and 0 that's right nada/nix/nil of NRL.

I emailed them to ask why the All Stars game was being ignored and was shocked to receive a reply from their Programs Manager that the NRL had given the rights to Setanta (a private provider).

This means that Australia's one and only government free to air international channel will promote everything except rugby league ... bloody disgraceful ... why pay taxes?

Highway1

Juniors
Well, I'm sad to report that "international" part of the NRL is completely off base. Australia Network (the ABC's international presence) has canned the NRL for 2011 completely.

Once the face of international rugby league and even last year 4 games a weekend were broadcast plus finals and Origin. Now 5 games of Union + 6 games of AFL and 0 that's right nada/nix/nil of NRL.

I emailed them and received a reply that the NRL had given the rights to Setanta. This means that Australia's one and only government free to air international channel will promote everything except rugby league ... bloody disgraceful ... why pay taxes?

Given? I hope sentanta paid for it.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Well, I'm sad to report that "international" part of the NRL is completely off base. Australia Network (the ABC's international presence) has canned the NRL for 2011 completely.

I emailed them and received a reply that the NRL had given the rights to Setanta. This means that Australia's one and only government free to air international channel will promote everything except rugby league ... bloody disgraceful ... why pay taxes?

You are right, that is a joke.

Let me guess, Gallop sold it for a hot dog.

http://www.setanta.com/hongkong/Our-Sports/NRL/

El Diablo

Post Whore
i'd say the ABC are full of sh*t when they claim the rights were given away

the ABC rarely tell the truth when it comes to RL

Nugby

Juniors
*** Disclaimer - Titanic's right and you will no longer be able to view Rugby League in China without High-speed Broadband. Understand NRL's profiteering but it does screw Titanic over. ***

Wait, the NRL has sold the International rights to Setanta and you're criticising a Government-subsided company from getting into an all-out bidding war with them (whereas they'd have gotten the AFL and Union for free - hell AFL probably gave them money)? Pull your head in or just pay for the extra channel, Titanic.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
wonder what $ value it is? Would a wider international audience be worth more than whatever $ difference there was in the two bids?

Titanic

First Grade
Wait, the NRL has sold the International rights to Setanta and you're criticising a Government-subsided company from getting into an all-out bidding war with them (whereas they'd have gotten the AFL and Union for free - hell AFL probably gave them money)? Pull your head in or just pay for the extra channel, Titanic.

You numbnuts - it's not an issue of me paying for a station - it's an issue of having access to rugby league. The Australia Network is the ONLY Australian broadcaster internationally and their footprint is offered as a free service across much of the world but access is often through satellite providers ... in China we get it second hand as user-paying customers through satellite providers which I happily pay for but now NO rugby league. Setanta doesn't compete in China as they aren't even here. They are a small time provider in Asia with a footprint only in Hong Kong and Malaysia.

There are knots of expatriates all over Asia and minority regions that rely on Australia Network for the only access we have to rugby league.

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
That's my point - in another thread I was accused of not wanting to pay to watch but I can assure you all I do pay a satellite provider to watch Australia's ONLY international television broadcaster but I cannot watch rugby league on it any more ... I can watch the Stawell Gift, the Melbourne Cup, the Margaret River Surfing, V8's, Super Rugby (an oxymoron) and AFL.

applesauce

Bench
When I was in Thailand the SOO was great on the Aus Network. Sad to see the Aussie bar and a variety of other bars will not be filled with Aussies watching the pinnacle of the game.

Big Sam

First Grade
Does anyone know anything about what deals, if any, the NRL has with European broadcasters?

WaznTheGreat

Referee
There is a potential NFL lock out next season,they need to try and get NRL on American TV some how if that happens.

rooster25

Juniors
Titanic I completely agree with you on this terrible news. The Aussie channel was a great way of showing Nrl across the world. I spend alot of time in Bali and Nrl and afl were shown every weekend. I fear now it will just be afl and this will be a huge blow as everyone on bars watch whatever game is on.

If they have gone with setana that is a huge mistake as it's barely anywhere on the world. I travelled to Europe last year and every country had afl but no Nrl and everytime I asked an Aussie or Irish pub why no Nrl they said because the Nrl switched from sky to sentana and no one has sentana service, it's nearly non existent.

Why would the Nrl be so stupid and go for small amounts of money for no exposure?? While afl and rugby are on everywhere? Idiots

BuffaloRules

Coach
This is terrible news.

I lived in Asia for 3 years, and being able to see a couple of games of NRL each week plus live finals & SOO was fantastic....

A very short sighted decision by the NRL for I assume not much money....

Brutus

Referee
Sounds like the NRL are still going for the insignificant short-term money grab instead of taking note of the bigger picture.

Radio rights revisited indeed EA.