What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No NRL Overseas in 2011

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I live in Canada so need to rely off Setanta who broadcast a whopping 3 games a week. The NRL sure don't make it easy for us expats to get our fix. I get to pay $10/month for bigponds streams that rarely work and only show replays 2 days later, or omnisport.tv who charge $6 per game to watch at a low bitrate and not in widescreen (even cropped to the point that in some games you can't even see the score in the corner of the screen), and they don't even show every game

Or I can use illegal webstreams that are often in HD, and every game is available for free. It's a pretty tough decision.

If the NRL had a reliable streaming service that was good quality, I would happily pay $40/month for the privilege, but it's amateur hour when it comes to their online service.

Last edited:

Adsu

Juniors
I'm a newbie to this forum as I only found it by googling today trying to find out why the NRL will be unavailable through Australia Network (was planning my weekend when I got this news).

May I suggest someone of more influence start a Facebook page dedicated to this cause? I'm am sure (particularly as more and more people are discovering this problem leading up to week 1 of the NRL season) that such a page could gain tens of thousands of supporters in a very quick time, forcing all the agencies involved (NRL, Australia Network, DFAT), etc to re-asses this issue.

Adsu

Juniors
search for a page on Facebook called "Bring back NRL to Australia Network 2011"

I cant post a link as I have not made 20 posts yet.

I just set this up, so tell all your friends to join, try and get 1000's of fans and comments on this travesty and hopefully by using sheer wait of numbers we can try and have some common sense prevail !!

yakstorm

First Grade
There are a lot of people making a lot of accusations on here without knowing all the facts.

Fact of the matter is, the Australian Network only televised 2 NRL games a week, both delayed, verses the up to 5 it did of the AFL (Live and Delayed). It also only showed Origin and GF live, with the Australian Network not even showing all the NRL Finals.

The NRL has now sold it's Pacific rights to the Fiji Network which have subsidiaries in throughout most of the Pacific and will televise 2 live matches per week plus 1 delayed.

All 8 Telstra Premiership matches in the Pacific will also be available through PayTV service Sky Pacific.

In regards to Setanta Asia, this is a new service in the Asian region, currently available to Hong Kong, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Brunei. These are just the launch nations, just like Setanta Africa which pretty much covers the entire country now, Setanta Asia will be looking to get into as many countries as possible and likely to be available in Indonesia, Macau, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam in the next month or so.

Whilst yes it is some short term pain, but the fact that Setanta Asia is a 'Rugby' channel means at least NRL will be given a lot better treatment. Already Setanta Asia has guaranteed to televise 5 NRL games per week.

As for the rest of the globe, you can see who is showing the NRL on the NRL.com website:
http://www.nrl.com/NRLHQ/ReferenceCentre/InternationalBroadcastInformation/tabid/10443/Default.aspx

applesauce

Bench
I suggest people who are firing up read the post someone here made earlier in regards to the emailed reply from the head of the Australia Network.

It went something alone the lines of "The Australia Network will not be renewing the AFL or RU contracts when they are negotiated later in the year..."

Sentanta currently don't have the reach but are already showing more games than AN. Once they are established there should be very little difference and Setanta might not show the AFL the same kind of treatment as the AN do currently.

Last edited:

STG-MACCA

Bench
Didn't read the entire thread but this weekend both Friday night games are on premier sports in the UK, so it looks promising. Just hope it rates alright and they may pick up more matches

Adsu

Juniors
In regards to Setanta Asia, this is a new service in the Asian region, currently available to Hong Kong, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Brunei. These are just the launch nations, just like Setanta Africa which pretty much covers the entire country now, Setanta Asia will be looking to get into as many countries as possible and likely to be available in Indonesia, Macau, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam in the next month or so.

If this information is correct, that is great news. I am an Aussie expat living in Vietnam, getting pumped up for the NRL season to start, only to be devastated by seeing Australia Networks weekly sport newsletter have no mention of the NRL. I guess I can wait for 1 month so.

Quidgybo

Bench
The www.livenrl.tv service this weekend was fantastic. I've been able to watch all eight games in the USA with a choice of watching live or delayed for the same monthly cost. Replays became available for most games within 12 hours of being played (eg. the Warriors vs Eels match was available live at 12.30am Saturday morning Dallas time and I watched it delayed at 10.30am). Video quality was good, not HD or even quiet SD but certainly watchable and much improved on last year. My only gripe is it wasn't widescreen.

Leigh.

lolly12

Juniors
Thanks to all those people who have deluged the NRL.

Anyway, I asked Annesley if he would give permission for me to distribute his comments and he did and here they are:

First of all I wrote:

Dear Mr Annesley,

I am emailing to register my disappointment at the complete lack of understanding that the NRL seems to have for the many thousands of viewers in the Asian region. The news that Australia Network will not be broadcasting games from Australia this year is horribly frustrating.

The NRL's choice of selling the rights to Setanta who only have a footprint in Malaysia and Hong Kong, and a very limited up-take at that, is very short sighted. What about China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and so on? Any idea how many hundreds of thousands of expatriates (and millions of potential rugby league supporters) you've cut out? Obviously not, but the AFL and Union realise it.

Australia Network is the most watched English-speaking news channel in Asia after CNN and the BBC but in 2011 the AFL and Union will have a shared monopoly. For rugby league fans who have promoted the sport in Asia, this is a huge slap in the face.

All the league communities that have grown around the Australia Network broadcasts will now disappear purely because we are too far away to get to games and the competition from more accessible sports is too great. If I can't watch the Titans (my wife, my son and I are paid-up members), I will have to watch the Suns - a poor choice I know but I enjoy my contact with home and be buggered if I'm going to take up knitting at this time in my life.

C'mon mate, please get on the phone and sort it out - Rod Webb from Australia Network says the door is still open.

regards

Then he replied

The following is a summary of the facts surrounding the outcome of negotiations in the Asia/Pacific region:

NRL 2011 INTERNATIONAL TELEVISION RIGHTS – ASIA/PACIFIC REGION

The NRL has reached agreement with Setanta Sports and Fiji TV to broadcast the 2011 NRL season in the Asia/Pacific region. These new partners replace the Australian Network arrangement in place over recent years.

The following background information is provided for the information of NRL fans throughout the region :

- The Australia Network agreement expired at the end of the 2010 season. Australia Network then had an exclusive negotiation period to renew these rights, however no offer was received during the exclusive negotiation period.

- An offer was eventually received from Australian Network on the 20th January for only two delayed games per week, plus live State of Origin and Grand Final. In addition to this significantly decreased coverage they offered just 25% of the 2010 rights fee. Regardless of the rights fee the decreased coverage in itself made it a very unattractive offer for fans.

- In the meantime NRL received offers from other interested broadcasters in the region to increase the amount of content for fans.

- The offer received from Setanta provided the NRL with an opportunity to get much more coverage of the NRL available into Asia. Whilst it’s true Setanta currently does not have the same reach as Australian Network throughout Asia they will be broadcasting a minimum of 5 live games per week, which is more than Australian Network aired in 2010.

- For the start of the NRL season Setanta will be available in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Brunei – whilst discussion continue with Thailand, Indonesia and others.

- For territories where Setanta is not currently broadcasting every NRL match will be available live via Telstra’s broadband service.

- The NRL is still hopeful of concluding a deal with Australia Network for our weekly highlights show.

- Pacific countries will get more exposure than ever before with a 3 games per round broadcast free-to-air into Fiji , Tonga, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, America Samoa, Cook Islands, Kiribati, Nauru, Niue and Tuvalu.

- In addition to the free-to-air coverage, Fiji TV will also broadcast all 8 matches live (where no games clashes) on their Pay TV service SKY Pacific.

The NRL has always endeavoured to make as much live content as possible available to fans around the world. These new arrangements enhance that objective. The Australia Network offer would have delivered a far inferior outcome for the majority of fans in the region.

Regards,

Then I wrote again

Thank you for your prompt and frank reply. I do raise the following issues.

1. Setanta, as you rightly point out, does not currently address the major Asian viewing audiences and my sources tell me that they are unlikely to in the foreseeable future.

2. Australia Network, irrespective of their managements openly AFL-esque policy are what they are ... the most popular, most attractive, most influential bridge between the rest of Asia and Australia. To ignore their drawing power and the resultant goodwill that they have developed can only be an error.

3. The Pacific nations as a revenue generating solution are small bickies, mind you, I am totally in accord with the need to service them if not in the least because of their connection to the roots of so many NRL players. But the Islands are not the focus of my complaint - good luck to them.

4. The sporting markets of China, South Korea and Japan (I disregard the Philippines and others on economic grounds) are saturated with US sport but are so immense that even a small gain would be significant for the NRL. Mainland China especially as the Chinese generally prefer league to AFL but have little in frames of reference. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that they will be broadcasting AFL on their own CCTV. Those inroads have been levered off expatriate support so for the NRL to ignore that support can only be a backward step.

5. I for one, as a Chinese government employee and the senior expat in this, the most affluent of all Chinese provinces was invited to and attended the farce that was the AFL in Shanghai match. How the NRL cannot find the energy to approach this market is in itself amazing but to ignore it is a travesty.

Mr. Annesley, I would hope that Telstra will "unlock" access to the other territories as you have stated because at this time they cannot be accessed from here and judging from the flood of emails I have received from Japan not there either.

Furthermore, I pose the question, will Telstra provide the same promotional vehicle for the NRL in Asia that Australia Network has developed over many years?

Finally, thank you again for your response - with your permission, and not before, I will broadcast it amongst the expatriate community throughout Asia.

Then he replied again

Thanks for your response to my earlier email explanation. I do understand your frustration but as I pointed out the Australia Network offer, when it was finally received, of just 2 delayed games per week was the sort of offer you make when you don’t really expect it to be accepted. For some reason best known to themselves they did next to nothing to attempt to renew the agreement. I assure you we are not trying to make life difficult for fans living overseas.

I am unaware of the Telstra issue in relation to China and Japan but I will investigate that matter further. I will leave it to you to decide who you share this information with.

And here is Australia networks cop-out (I do not have much faith in these guys at all)

I wrote (not realising what had happened)

As much as I am grateful for the improved NRL coverage over recent years, the absence of the Indigenous/All Stars game is mystifying. This promotion of Australian sport AND culture would seem to be clearly in line with Australia Network's mission. And while having a whinge, why not Monday night NRL in Hong Kong? Thank you for your consideration.

And got this shock (arseholes)

I'm afraid we'll be showing no NRL on Australia Network this year.

I understand that the entire package has been licensed to Setanta.

Sincerely,

Rod Webb
Head of programming.

lolly12

Juniors
I just arrived back to Malaysia from Sydney last week and was devistated to find out we have no NRL coverage so I contacted Australian network and this is their response below.

what happened to the NRL coverage this year I do not see anything scheduled in your programming. I very much hope it will be included in the coming weeks especially for the Aussie expats up in this region of Johor-Malaysia /Singapore?

Good afternoon Mr Lollback and thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, Australia Network no longer holds the rights to broadcast the Super 15 or NRL competitions. Our respective contracts ended last year and SANZAR and the NRL have granted the rights to a new broadcaster - Setanta.

Singapore viewers are able to see NRL via StarHub channel 202.

Thank you again for your enquiry.

Kind regards

Nigel Cummings
Australia Network