What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No place for this in our game

BranVan3000

Coach
Firstly, I'm anti religious so gobble the knob of your favourite fictitious idol such as Jesus, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

Seriously, being 14 years old and a very real potential victim of sexual assault, don't you think the perpetrator had paedophilic intentions?

What would be your take on things if I was a 14 year old female at the time?

Ohhhh....shock.....horror.....and so on.

You appear to condone homosexuality but shun paedophilia. In my experience, they have a very definite correlation.

Homosexuality is consensual between two willing adults, paedophilia is not. If you can't see the difference then you need help.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Firstly, I'm anti religious so gobble the knob of your favourite fictitious idol such as Jesus, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

Seriously, being 14 years old and a very real potential victim of sexual assault, don't you think the perpetrator had paedophilic intentions?

What would be your take on things if I was a 14 year old female at the time?

Ohhhh....shock.....horror.....and so on.

You appear to condone homosexuality but shun paedophilia. In my experience, they have a very definite correlation

I hope youre trolling, no one is this dumb...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Agree harden up you girls, i call my mates gay c___ts all the time......i do not however call gay people gay c__ts..

Yes, but you're not doing this on a national stage while trying to sell a product and promote a brand...

The ARLC need to come across as buttoned down corporates, because anything else will damage the games reputation.

Either they can be overly PC, take shit for it know and keep the brand in a good light in the long term,

OR they can be cool about it know, say its a completely normal and acceptable thing to call someone a "gay merkin" and lose all credibility as a social leader...

El Diablo

Post Whore
I hope youre trolling, no one is this dumb...

don't be so sure http://www.news.com.au/national/jeff-kennett-in-gay-football-storm/story-e6frfkx0-1111117026698

Jeff Kennett in gay football storm

6 years ago July 27, 2008 12:00AM

FORMER state premier Jeff Kennett has provoked a gay rights storm by backing a football club that sacked a trainer for being gay.

The Hawthorn president and potential Melbourne lord mayor sparked calls for his sacking after saying Bonnie Doon Football Club was within its rights to sack veteran trainer Ken Campagnolo after it found out he was gay.

"The club felt that once this had been pointed out and you had this gentleman there who was obviously close to young men - massaging young men - it ran an unnecessary risk and that's why it decided it was best that he not perform those duties again. So the club was trying to do the right thing," Mr Kennett said.

"When you are in charge of a group of young boys, as this club was as I understand it, it's got to make sure."

Mr Kennett said it was as if the club had a pedophile trainer.

"It's the same if you have a pedophile there as a masseur, right?"

"And you might say the pedophile would do no damage, but once it was pointed out to you, you have a duty of care to those underage children not to put them in a situation of risk."

He could not guarantee a gay trainer would be welcome at Hawthorn, adding: "I don't know if we've got any.

"I'm just saying at the moment we have a duty of care to our players and staff and you have to make judgments on that. If you don't do it you end up with potential legal liability."

Mr Campagnolo is fighting the Bonnie Doon Football Club, the AFL and Benalla and District Football League in the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal over his 2007 sacking.

On Friday, the AFL failed in a bid to have his complaint against it struck out, with the tribunal ruling the matter must go to mediation.

Mr Campagnolo said he was appalled by Mr Kennett's remarks.

"I am not a pedophile. Does that mean every straight male doctor cannot treat any female patient?" he said.

Rodney Croome, of the Australian Coalition for Equality, said: "Jeff Kennett should immediately step aside from his role in Beyond Blue."

"Let’s get one thing straight. “Gay” no longer just means “homosexual”. The word has changed meaning over the last decade. Young people use “gay” to mean lame, or dumb or stupid, as in: “That’s so gay.”"

So its ok because what was formerly a derogatory put down aimed at homosexuals is now in the general vernacular? That is outrageous. If young people stop saying "that's so gay" or "that's so gay" and replace it with, for example only, "you're so a.bo" or "that's so a.bo", in the same context to mean lame, or dumb, or stupid do you think the media would be so happy to pass it off as "the vernacular of youth"? Both have negative connotations and the NRL as a responsible national organisation should be doing everything to ensure that such comments are punished accordingly.

And as for "When the NRL interviewed Bateman after the match he said he didn’t care what Mitchell had said and didn’t want to take the issue further.". What if a player goes up to another player and says "I hate n****rs"? and the guy isn't black and doesn't take offence? Sounds like that would be ok in Mirandas world.

As for Jeff Kennett and his comments in the old article above, the best thing that ever happened to the Mighty Fighting Hawks was to get rid of this clown as Club President.

Last edited:

oikee

Juniors
Agree with that. This guy missing two games for what amounts to an off-the-cuff statement is silliness. Would he banned for saying 'you f**king merkin'? Nope. So it's basically the gay thing that costs him two weeks.

We're so quick in this day and age to be wowzers about anything that 'could' cause offence. Or I should qualify that, the media are. Hardly anything they write nowadays is reflective of the public view - which they mistakenly believe it to be.

Bullshite, it has a lot more to do with just saying your a gay f**king so and so.
It comes back to mums seeing examples set by these f**kwits, and sponsors taking their hard earned elsewhere.
Why do you think the ratio of f**king memberships is similar or below ground attendence ya f**kin merkin. "dont take offence, thats ok according to you, ya f**kin merkin).

You guys are f**kin braindead and have no idea what damage this is doing to the code in a market where our code is being hammered every time one of these f**kwits like Hurrell do something stupid.
Women in league round and every other idea or support for some welfare group always gets sabotaged by the numbnuts we have playing this game. They get paid huge f**king dollars and carry on like primadonna's.
No, screw that. Time for the code to tell em to f**k off they cant behave.

I never did it as a kid, or teenager, why should i except it now.

Last edited:

oikee

Juniors
Someone said it will be interesting where the line is set.
It gets set at zero tolerance. Yes every now and then we see players yell out f**k when they do something dumb. But their really is no need to say anything disgusting to any player.

You set the line at zero tolerance and go from there, like New York set the city at zero tolerance for scumbags in the city. And it worked.
Why lower the bar, we should be raising the sucker, keep up or get out.

As for afl, mate have you seen there game. I cant even watch two minutes of that game before you see someone punch the air with their little fists after they kick the ball between those sticks.
It really is cringeworthy along with their ferry type highfives.

boonboon

Juniors
Someone said it will be interesting where the line is set.
It gets set at zero tolerance. Yes every now and then we see players yell out f**k when they do something dumb. But their really is no need to say anything disgusting to any player.

You set the line at zero tolerance and go from there, like New York set the city at zero tolerance for scumbags in the city. And it worked.
Why lower the bar, we should be raising the sucker, keep up or get out.

10000%

Yelling in frustration at no one something like f**k is poor but we will let it go

Abusing someone especially around certain areas with a history of discrimination means you should be punished. I'm a Tigers supporter and I hope Mitch goes on to be a star for our team, but first he needs to learn from this as it hurts the image of our club , our game and our country

Shorty

Staff member
Wow.
What an embarrassment of a journalist, studied at uni for a number of years to have a title like that:lol::lol:

I expected the same usual response from predomiantly male and hetero LU.
Look I've used 'that's gay' being gay myself, but people 20 years older in my community absolutely despise it.
It isn't a good look, the same action would have been taken for any other derogatory term.
It's a gen y term that while isn't intended to be homophobic, originated on homophobic grounds.
Gay = Bad, stupid, dumb, idiot, moron, tryhard the list goes on.
It was heard on national tv, had to be done, move on.

ek999

First Grade
AS A person who was born in rural Queensland, and who has lived in Queensland her whole life, I am a fan of NRL. It is in my blood. It is who I am.
Another aspect of who I am is that I am a lesbian. These two sections of me have gone together as nicely as New South Wales and Queensland at State of Origin time (that’s not very nicely at all, for you AFL supporters).
I love going to games, I love supporting my team, but what I don’t love is listening to homophobic slur after homophobic slur being thrown around casually by players and supporters.
Halfway into the game, the tense feeling throughout your body becomes too much. The brick in your stomach that appears in anticipation of overhearing the next homophobic insult weighs you down, and you stop being able to enjoy the game.
So I was very pleased when the NRL recently committed itself to eliminating homophobia, and homophobic language from the game.
I was even more pleased when the NRL swiftly turned their words into action when young Wests Tigers player Mitchell Moses was caught calling an opposition player a “F***ing gay c***” during a game.
The NRL swiftly suspended Moses for two games and ordered him to undergo an anti-vilification and education program.
This was a very positive step. Homophobia in sport is an incredibly widespread issue that is only beginning to be addressed, and this was a sign that the NRL was taking it seriously.
Language is power.
Whe I was 17, I was on the cusp of coming out to someone I was close to and cared about when I heard that person use the word ‘androtrop’.
It would be another three years before I worked up the courage to come out to anyone. Language is power.
Young queer people already have much higher risks of suicide than their heterosexual counterparts.
Language is power.
Homophobia is rampant in sport, especially in hyper-masculine sports like NRL.
How are young gay people, those who play the game, support the game, and love the game, ever meant to feel like they belong in the sporting community, and how will they ever feel safe and comfortable unless the NRL takes these kind of steps to make it so?
It is astonishing to me that anyone could take issue with an organisation trying to stop homophobia, and I hope the NRL ignores those people and continues to do the right thing.
All that the players have to do is change their behaviour slightly to become more decent human beings, and not use homophobic language (just as they have done with racist language). Simple, right?
It has been suggested that Moses was hard-done-by, that because young people today use ‘gay’ to mean lame, dumb or stupid, he should not be punished under the NRL’s anti-homophobia guidelines

873014-464c6874-d585-11e3-b5be-ec06717bccf7.jpg

Mitchell Moses during the U20's State of Origin match. (Photo by Brendon Thorne/Getty Images) Source: Getty Images

There are a lot of problems with this idea, but let me just narrow it down to a couple. First of all, even if this is true, how do we know that Moses wasn’t using it in the homophobic way? It’s been suggested that because Bateman isn’t gay, it is proof that Moses didn’t mean it in a homophobic way.
This is disingenuous, at best. Surely everyone knows that this is not how language works, or how language is used. Calling another person ‘gay’ as an insult, no matter the sexuality of its target, is homophobic.
Besides, is it more likely that in the heat of a macho, testosterone-filled football game that Moses was calling Bateman a ‘F***king lame/dumb c***’? Or is it more likely that he was using it in a way to insult Bateman’s masculinity- to imply that Bateman is homosexual, feminine, weak, or the other (all incorrect) stereotypes homophobes have in their (tiny) minds?
I am no Sherlock Holmes, but I think I know the answer.
In any case, what Moses meant exactly by using that term is actually irrelevant.
The idea that because some people use ‘gay’ as a synonym for ‘lame’ or ‘stupid’ or various other negative attributes is not okay, and it is certainly still homophobic.
It makes it clear to everyone who hears it that being gay is an insult. That being gay is bad in some way, and you should avoid it.
That argument doesn’t help to still my heart when I am sitting in the stands and hear someone behind me shout it out in anger. And it certainly doesn’t help the 17-year-old closeted rugby league player somewhere in Australia who is too terrified to come out.
Just because some young people now use ‘gay’ to mean something different, for as long as some same-sex attracted people still identify with the word gay (and most do), and use that word to describe themselves (and they do), it should be a completely unacceptable way to insult someone.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/la...to-suspend-moses/story-fndujljl-1226908872607

ACTPanthers

Bench
Young queer people already have much higher risks of suicide than their heterosexual counterparts.

Kind of hypocritical to use the word queer in that story - It's similar to "gay" being that it's original meaning is now lost

Queer

adjective strange; odd.
"she had a queer feeling that they were being watched"

verb
spoil or ruin (an agreement, event, or situation). "Reg didn't want someone meddling and queering the deal at the last minute"

FTR I use the word queer a lot - But not in relation to being homosexual - But in it's REAL meaning, i.e. strange

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Agree with that. This guy missing two games for what amounts to an off-the-cuff statement is silliness. Would he banned for saying 'you f**king merkin'? Nope. So it's basically the gay thing that costs him two weeks.

We're so quick in this day and age to be wowzers about anything that 'could' cause offence. Or I should qualify that, the media are. Hardly anything they write nowadays is reflective of the public view - which they mistakenly believe it to be.

Yeah, and they were right to do so, at least from a PR point of view...

If they didnt suspend him then they would have been seen as condoning it. Its not about pleasing the media, its about staying ahead of public criticism; we will eventually get to the point where calling someone "gay" will be as bad as calling someone a "n**ger".

When that happens, do you think it will be better to be the sport that needs to be dragged along with the times??? Or will it be better to be the sport that was ahead of its time??

The kid wasnt being a bigot, he was just being incentive and dumb; which is why, after this 2 week suspension itll be forgotten about. But the ARLC needs to be seen as culturally sensitive and progressive.

The ARLC cannot let the NRLs image be associated to intolerance ...

Shorty

Staff member
Kind of hypocritical to use the word queer in that story - It's similar to "gay" being that it's original meaning is now lost

Queer

adjective strange; odd.
"she had a queer feeling that they were being watched"

verb
spoil or ruin (an agreement, event, or situation). "Reg didn't want someone meddling and queering the deal at the last minute"

FTR I use the word queer a lot - But not in relation to being homosexual - But in it's REAL meaning, i.e. strange
Yeah, only other gay people really use the word queer...that's quite odd.
However she did shoot herself in the foot with the article as it'd be quite contradictory to turn around as use the word 'gay'.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Its not so much the use of the word queer or gay they are both perfectly adequate descriptors for a homosexual. Queer is a bit more derogative but it has been "taken back" by the gay community. Gay is just an informal way of describing a homosexual really. The Gay and Lesbian mardi gras for example. It was more the fact Moses was insulting Bateman with the word gay that is apparently the problem. Personally boys will be boys and there is lots of bad language chucked about on the field but otoh young players need to understand if they toss out words that might be seen as derogative they will possibly get in trouble for it. Its a lesson learnt but an over the top reaction.