What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No rush for Webster to extend contract.

Blair

Coach
2028, love it. Love the Webster
Let's place this as a virtual time capsule. At the end of the 2028 season, if we're all still here, I'll come back to it.

Did we win our maiden premiership? Did we win two, three? Maybe not the 'two or three'! For now let's get back to the past.

yakstorm

First Grade
Let's hope there is no second year syndrome and he can learn from Cowboys mistakes this year.
One mistake the Cowboys made between seasons, which the Warriors thankfully aren't repeating, is around squad depth & quality.

Cowboys let go 8 players between 22/23, including the likes of Gilbert & Hammer, whilst their only signings were an aging Tamou & Gosiewski.

Warriors are bringing in some quality in the form of RTS & CHT, whilst have kept losses to a minimum (especially around quality players).

Doesn't guarantee that the Warriors will perform next year, but at least it feels like the squad is improving YoY.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Let's place this as a virtual time capsule. At the end of the 2028 season, if we're all still here, I'll come back to it.

Did we win our maiden premiership? Did we win two, three? Maybe not the 'two or three'! For now let's get back to the past.
There is more than one consideration...the key one, clearly, is can we win a premiership with us? But also, it's do we have any better who is prepared to come here? We didn't know the answer to a) when we let go to Cleary in 2011, but we damn sure knew the answer to b) was no. Actually, given the rumour that Bellamy was going to come but Scurrah refused to wait a year for his contract to end, maybe that's not right. So yeah, if we haven't won anything in 2028....that doesn't mean it was a failure.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
At the end of 2028 I think it’ll be illustrative to look at where we’re at and how that compares to 2001-04 and 2006-11. If we’ve consistently made the finals and been an actual threat, and the wheels haven’t fallen off at some point, then this was a good move, and presumably we’ll persevere with Webby. And roster management will come into it as well. How do we transition from SJ/Harris in 2025 or thereabouts?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
At the end of 2028 I think it’ll be illustrative to look at where we’re at and how that compares to 2001-04 and 2006-11. If we’ve consistently made the finals and been an actual threat, and the wheels haven’t fallen off at some point, then this was a good move, and presumably we’ll persevere with Webby. And roster management will come into it as well. How do we transition from SJ/Harris in 2025 or thereabouts?
Yep, absolutely. From what I hear the management said they didn't see Ivan as a premiership-winning coach when they chose not to renew his contract (or at least stalled in doing it) in 2011...which you could argue wasn't completely off base. The major issue I always had was that they then pinned their hopes on a guy who'd never been in the NRL system, let alone head coached or had any success at premiership level. Yes Super League, but we binned a guy with 3 finals appearances in five years and unprecedented levels of consistency for someone completely unproven in that environment.

So over the next 5-6 years obviously the main goal is a premiership, but if that wasn't to happen, it doesn't mean that we toss him out. I think I saw a graphic a few years ago that showed that the Bennetts, Gibsons, Bellamy (genuine ones) took a long time to win their first. Ivan took what I count to be 15 seasons or there abouts?

sup42

Juniors
No brainer eh.

On the face of it Webster is one of the most effective instructors of players that the Warriors have ever seen, probably only rivaled by Daniel Anderson for visible Coach foot prints on the teams playing style.

Pretty tough getting a coach that can teach the Warriors how to improve their weak playing areas.

Now we have one, you really shouldn't be looking for anyone else and you should be doing your best to retain the Coach for as long as you can convince them to stick around.

Websters job is not to win us our maiden premiership, winning the comp is a goal but not a measure in of itself of success of the head coach, there are too many moving parts to that equation and it is a losing mindset to put it above all the other things a coach brings to a club.

We may not have the players to ever win during Websters tenure, that is largely outside of his control, but he sure as heck can get a club like ours to be competitive every season, that is the realistic goal and why the Warriors needed to wrap him up.

TheDMC

Bench

What are the chances the wheels full off for one reason or another before 2028? Based on past history, probably 80% or thereabouts.