What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No rush for Webster to extend contract.

Rich102

Staff member
The Warriors are in no hurry to start talks about Andrew Webster’s long-term future at the club, despite his seismic impact so far.

The rookie coach has been a revelation, guiding the Auckland team to a promising 9-6 record, with a series of eye catching performances.

But it’s not just the results; it’s the overall upward spiral across the club and the improvement shown by almost every player.

Webster understands the landscape here – from his time as an assistant coach in 2015 and 2016 – and seems to have the common touch, especially with young Māori and Polynesian players.

Being Warriors coach has often felt like the hardest job in New Zealand sport and the club have burned through so many, since the end of Ivan Cleary’s reign in 2011.

But it feels different with Webster, who appeals as a once in a generation figurehead at the Warriors, like Cleary and Daniel Anderson before him.

But Warriors chief executive Cameron George hasn’t began discussions about an extension to Webster’s current contract, which runs until the end of the 2025 season.

“I understand why you are asking the question but we are taking each week as it comes at the moment,” George told the Herald. “We have a lot to focus on and he just needs to keep his focus on that and whether that happens down the track, that’s for the future. No need to ask those questions right now ... it needs to be at the right time and place.”

The Warriors have done early extensions before. Kearney’s contract was upgraded twice during his stay while Eliesa Katoa is a recent example, as the former second rower was handed a revised four year deal just a few games into the 2020 season.​

George implies that Webster could be open to a long tenure, like Cleary, who was head coach from 2006 to 2011.

“I share the same ambition as Webby and that is why he is here,” said George. “We love New Zealand, he loves it, I love it. We share that same vision of taking the Warriors to where we have never been before. I have no doubt that he is the man to lead us there but there is no need for him and I to be sitting down right now. He knows and I know, what his long term plan is.”

Webster has often spoken of his love for this country, which began during his previous Warriors stint. He is relaxed and comfortable living here, while his wife recently gave birth to their first child Max. In a short time he has already witnessed significant growth, with Friday’s sold out match against the Rabbitohs an obvious barometer.

“The support has been crazy and the people in the streets just want to talk about rugby league,” said Webster. “I didn’t see any of that in the pre-season. I didn’t see anyone talking about it. I didn’t see anyone as proud of the team as they are at the moment. I said to the boys ‘that’s a good thing that live up to’.”

George has been delighted with Webster’s impact.

“He, along with all of the staff, in conjunction with his playing group, have done amazing things,” said George. “That has been led by Webby – he is the one that has to drive the staff and the players to achieve – and we are really pleased with the way he is going. He’ll be the first to admit he has a long way to go and we all do as a footy club but he’s doing an outstanding job.”

The announcement of the relatively unknown Webster last September didn’t spark cartwheels among the fan base but George was always confident he would step up.

“I’ve known him for a long time. He has always had something, with the way he connects with people, it is a special talent he has. He has got a way about him that people connect with and respond to. [But] he is going to continue to work hard on his personal development and continue to work hard as a head coach because nothing is ever a given.”

JJ

Immortal
journalism sucks lol...

but weird from the Warriors, usually they're frothing at the mouth to extend the contract of coaches - just not one that has actually improved the joint...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
journalism sucks lol...

but weird from the Warriors, usually they're frothing at the mouth to extend the contract of coaches - just not one that has actually improved the joint...
I’m not upset about it. We might be finally learning our lesson about going off half-cocked chucking long contracts at players and coaches. He’s got two more years under contract - no need to talk about extending him until late next year at the least. This article is really making a story out of nothing.

JJ

Immortal
I’m not upset about it. We might be finally learning our lesson about going off half-cocked chucking long contracts at players and coaches. He’s got two more years under contract - no need to talk about extending him until late next year at the least. This article is really making a story out of nothing.
Not upset either, just noting the irony. Hopefully they’ve learned…. But this guy might now actually be in demand

sup42

Juniors
The common touch with Maori and Poly players made me laugh, borderline racist old colonial language probably unintended, more to the point way off the mark. Not interested in sparking a racial discussion here, just entertaining myself, intended with a healthy dose of tongue in cheek too.

Adapting to other cultures in a meaningful way is actually quite complicated. You can think you are down with the locals, but you will in some ways always be an outsider and that applies to all cultures in NZ, especially the predominant Euro culture.

The Warriors have had plenty of local coaches who understand the Maori and Poly way, last year they had a Maori coach, one of four Polynesian coaches in the clubs history.

I think what the Author was getting at is that Webster understands people, he reads people, he knows the ones who need support rather than criticism. Simple ideas, but the keys to unlocking people first, which in turn inherently connects and although I said it is complicated, if you leave your value judgements and beliefs at the door, the transition to connecting with Polynesia is made easy and rapid..

The complicated bit for most people is being flexible and adaptive in their world view. Webster clearly did more than dip his toe in when he stayed with us the first time, which is why he came back.

Agree the article says nothing.

We all know the Warriors will be extending Andrew Webster come the time if he can even do as little as maintain this years output. Others we pinned our hopes on prematurely we wanted more from at the time of signing the extension.

Webster has fixed so many problems at the Warriors that most reasonable fans would not want more from the guy than what we are already seeing. That is the difference between him and say Ivan who they wanted to see get us into top four range on a short extension....

nswarrior

Juniors
The 1st season isn’t over yet, we have played exceptionally well but we are not in the finals yet. There are 2 more years to go in the contract when extension can be negotiated.
The old Warriors would have offered him a 5 year contract after 3 games

JJ

Immortal
The common touch with Maori and Poly players made me laugh, borderline racist old colonial language probably unintended, more to the point way off the mark. Not interested in sparking a racial discussion here, just entertaining myself, intended with a healthy dose of tongue in cheek too.

Adapting to other cultures in a meaningful way is actually quite complicated. You can think you are down with the locals, but you will in some ways always be an outsider and that applies to all cultures in NZ, especially the predominant Euro culture.

The Warriors have had plenty of local coaches who understand the Maori and Poly way, last year they had a Maori coach, one of four Polynesian coaches in the clubs history.

I think what the Author was getting at is that Webster understands people, he reads people, he knows the ones who need support rather than criticism. Simple ideas, but the keys to unlocking people first, which in turn inherently connects and although I said it is complicated, if you leave your value judgements and beliefs at the door, the transition to connecting with Polynesia is made easy and rapid..

The complicated bit for most people is being flexible and adaptive in their world view. Webster clearly did more than dip his toe in when he stayed with us the first time, which is why he came back.

Agree the article says nothing.

We all know the Warriors will be extending Andrew Webster come the time if he can even do as little as maintain this years output. Others we pinned our hopes on prematurely we wanted more from at the time of signing the extension.

Webster has fixed so many problems at the Warriors that most reasonable fans would not want more from the guy than what we are already seeing. That is the difference between him and say Ivan who they wanted to see get us into top four range on a short extension....
Minefield, but my experience is that there are more similarities than differences, and Maori and Pasifika people respond well to the same fundamental qualities as most of us do, things like honesty, genuineness, authenticity, warmth, and clarity…. It’s always relational…

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The Maori and PI thing is horse shit. I'm a teacher, and I have a lot of really strong relationships with Maori, European, any kids. No two Maori kids are the same, no two kids fullstop are the same. You create good relationships because you get to know them as individuals, you treat them firm but fair, you help bring out the best in them and make them excited to come into your environment every day.

Webster is that guy at the moment. The guy he's done it the most for and turned around is a part-European, part Laos(ian?) player. Our captain is Maori and would go well for the worst team in the comp or the best. Lazy rubbish, really. And casually racist, perpetuates the myth that Maori and PI players need to be treated significantly differently, and are a one-size-fits-all model as people.

Blair

Coach
On a more sinister note, how long before the Storm start sniffing around? Bellamy is off the year after next.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Minefield, but my experience is that there are more similarities than differences, and Maori and Pasifika people respond well to the same fundamental qualities as most of us do, things like honesty, genuineness, authenticity, warmth, and clarity…. It’s always relational…
Thats it. Humans are Humans

TheDMC

Bench
The Maori and PI thing is horse shit. I'm a teacher, and I have a lot of really strong relationships with Maori, European, any kids. No two Maori kids are the same, no two kids fullstop are the same. You create good relationships because you get to know them as individuals, you treat them firm but fair, you help bring out the best in them and make them excited to come into your environment every day.

Webster is that guy at the moment. The guy he's done it the most for and turned around is a part-European, part Laos(ian?) player. Our captain is Maori and would go well for the worst team in the comp or the best. Lazy rubbish, really. And casually racist, perpetuates the myth that Maori and PI players need to be treated significantly differently, and are a one-size-fits-all model as people.

I think if the coach is a rough angry loud impatient kind of a douche bag, he won't connect well with most players/people from most cultures around the world. Might get away with it in a team of hard nosed Aussies though. End of the day its not about the culture or personality of the players as much as it is about the culture or personality of the coach...

nswarrior

Juniors
After tonight let's just hold off from rushing in to re-sign Webster.
Exactly - it’s just 1 game so let’s see how it goes

The torrential rain also made things hard and Souths hardly made any errors which is amazing

I didn’t understand the lack of size on the bench and how we used the bench. Our bench had no impact

Fufu Andronez

First Grade

Re-Signed until end of 2028.

“Another important element of extending his contract is that the stars of the future can see stability in long-term planning in the head coaching role and they see a coach who is driven to develop players of all age groups to become NRL players of the future for the Warriors.”