What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No team has ever won the premiership after conceding 50pts in a regular season match

Pretty sure the salary cap wasnt invented back then. Also the game was pretty much unrecognisable to what we have now. But yes, the Dragons back then were stacked.

There wasn’t a salary cap. But there was residential qualification.

And John Raper was a good Newtown junior.

Regardless, Cooper played in stacked sides. So did most of the greats.

IN THE NRL ERA.

Kevin win most of his before the NRL, when the broncos could monopolise an entire state. Coops won his premierships in an era of equality due to the salary cap which is a truly unprecedented achievement
Melbourne had a lot of help to ensure they were successful. It's no accident the best juniors from Queensland from the late 90s until the 10s ended up at the Storm instead of the Donkeys, Cowboys or Titans. News Ltd and the NRL propped the Drizzle up for years to give them a competitive advantage over every other club.

AwFuL did the same with Swans in Sydney, giving them a higher salary cap so they could sign the best players. The Lions were given a higher salary cap during the years they won 3 in a row. When AwFuL stopped giving legups to the Lions they dropped down the ladder and community support fell off a cliff.

Mark my words, if Melbourne are no longer given preferential treatment to stay successful, they will end up somewhere between the Western Reds and Brisbane Lions.

It doesn't surprise me that Bellamy knocked the Donkeys back to stay at the Drizzle. The NRL would never allow him to take his dirty tactics to any other club. Any other club that did the crap Melbourne do would be penalised to buggery on and off the field.

Last edited:

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Melbourne had a lot of help to ensure they were successful. It's no accident the best juniors from Queensland from the late 90s until the 10s ended up at the Storm instead of the Donkeys, Cowboys or Titans. News Ltd and the NRL propped the Drizzle up for years to give them a competitive advantage over every other club.

AwFuL did the same with Swans in Sydney, giving them a higher salary cap so they could sign the best players. The Lions were given a higher salary cap during the years they won 3 in a row. When AwFuL stopped giving legups to the Lions they dropped down the ladder and community support fell off a cliff.

Mark my words, if Melbourne are no longer given preferential treatment to stay successful, they will end up somewhere between the Western Reds and Brisbane Lions.

It doesn't surprise me that Bellamy knocked the Donkeys back to stay at the Drizzle. The NRL would never allow him to take his dirty tactics to any other club. Any other club that did the crap Melbourne do would be penalised to buggery on and off the field.

Great post, but I am not sure on your last paragraph. Bellamy would get away with even more if he coached the Broncos.

Perth Red

Post Whore

How did News ltd putting money into the Storm help them more than say the tens of millions the Eels LC has put into the NRL club or the millions Crowe and mates have put into South Sydney? Main difference is Storm have used the money well to better themselves on and off the field.
Pretty sure no one held a gun to the head of the Qland kids and made them move to Melbourne lol.
The only leg up Storm have had was in the $4mill the NRL invested in them annually for a few years post News Ltd as the comps only expansion side. Then again they've done the same with a number of clubs to keep their doors open so its not unique to the Storm.

How did News ltd putting money into the Storm help them more than say the tens of millions the Eels LC has put into the NRL club or the millions Crowe and mates have put into South Sydney? Main difference is Storm have used the money well to better themselves on and off the field.
Pretty sure no one held a gun to the head of the Qland kids and made them move to Melbourne lol.
The only leg up Storm have had was in the $4mill the NRL invested in them annually for a few years post News Ltd as the comps only expansion side. Then again they've done the same with a number of clubs to keep their doors open so its not unique to the Storm.
Sydney Souths are 33% owned by fans, so it's not just Crowe's money keeping them afloat. If he wishes to spend his money on a team from a rugby league heartland area that he is passionate about then good on him. It's proof that Sydney is right to have so many teams and why the NRL needs to elevate some BRL clubs. History and tradition matters to people who matter the most. Titans are a nothing club in the eyes of most Queenslanders as they have no history.

Bringing back Souffs brought a high profile millionaire into the fold. St George are a major brand and were able to lure in the Gordons to buy 50% of the club. Getting fans to buy into the Titans or a Perth club will be tough because they don't have the runs on the board.

Eels Leagues Club is made up of passionate members who put their money where it counts. A Perth team, the Storm or the Titans couldn't draw on this sort of support as they don't have it.

News Ltd and the NRL are no longer in a position to bail out expansion clubs.

You cannot deny that Melbourne's onfield success is largely based around refs turning a blind eye to their forwards illegally gaining an advantage in the ruck that isn't afforded to any other team. When they were held to the same rules as everyone else in the game against Canberra they were toothless, despite having most of the ball.

Take away the salary cap rorting which allowed Melbourne to illegally assemble a superior squad, possibly with the extra funds given to them by News Ltd and NRL, and their onfield success may never have happened.

TheDalek079

Bench
The storm are a well run club. If it weren't for the Roosters I think it would be fair to say that the Storm are the best run club in the NRL. Every other club (except for the Roosters) should use the Storm as an example as what they should be striving to be

pantherz9103

First Grade
You cannot deny that Melbourne's onfield success is largely based around refs turning a blind eye to their forwards illegally gaining an advantage in the ruck that isn't afforded to any other team. When they were held to the same rules as everyone else in the game against Canberra they were toothless, despite having most of the ball.

Take away the salary cap rorting which allowed Melbourne to illegally assemble a superior squad, possibly with the extra funds given to them by News Ltd and NRL, and their onfield success may never have happened.

People forget that the Storm were successful from the outset though. Finishing semi finalists in their debut year of 1998 and winning the comp under Chris Anderson in only their second season in 1999. They had a good team even before Bellamy was coach and Smith, Slater, Cronk & Inglis came along. Their late 90's team wasn't successful based off of Queenslanders but because of Hunter Mariners and Perth Reds rejects like Scott Hill, Brett Kimmorley, Rodney Howe, Robbie Kearns etc and also Glenn Lazarus of course.

Their initial success under Anderson wasn't illegal, even if it may have been because News Ltd helped them and they benefited from a host of talented players who needed a club. Keep in mind though when the Storm first started off in 1998 nobody tipped them to do well that year and they surprised everyone. I also remember that in 2006, which was the first year that they rorted the Salary Cap, the pre season expectations for the Storm were very modest as Matt Orford had left for Manly and Cooper Cronk was a utility converting to halfback. Yet they were beaten Grand Finalists.

The point is the likes of Smith, Slater, Cronk and Inglis weren't established stars when they started with Melbourne, they became that under the coaching of Bellamy. The shame for Melbourne was that they cheated to keep those stars they had made at the club. The CEO Brian Waldron had no integrity unfortunately. They proved after 2010 that they could still be successful without cheating, that's why I shake my head and asked why they felt they needed to do it in the first place.

I'm not anti Storm though because I'm grateful that their existence has helped to limit the Ponies success over the years and they've denied the Ponies access to Queensland superstars that normally would have been theirs... HAHA!

People forget that the Storm were successful from the outset though. Finishing semi finalists in their debut year of 1998 and winning the comp under Chris Anderson in only their second season in 1999. They had a good team even before Bellamy was coach and Smith, Slater, Cronk & Inglis came along. Their late 90's team wasn't successful based off of Queenslanders but because of Hunter Mariners and Perth Reds rejects like Scott Hill, Brett Kimmorley, Rodney Howe, Robbie Kearns etc and also Glenn Lazarus of course.

Their initial success under Anderson wasn't illegal, even if it may have been because News Ltd helped them and they benefited from a host of talented players who needed a club. Keep in mind though when the Storm first started off in 1998 nobody tipped them to do well that year and they surprised everyone. I also remember that in 2006, which was the first year that they rorted the Salary Cap, the pre season expectations for the Storm were very modest as Matt Orford had left for Manly and Cooper Cronk was a utility converting to halfback. Yet they were beaten Grand Finalists.

The point is the likes of Smith, Slater, Cronk and Inglis weren't established stars when they started with Melbourne, they became that under the coaching of Bellamy. The shame for Melbourne was that they cheated to keep those stars they had made at the club. The CEO Brian Waldron had no integrity unfortunately. They proved after 2010 that they could still be successful without cheating, that's why I shake my head and asked why they felt they needed to do it in the first place.

I'm not anti Storm though because I'm grateful that their existence has helped to limit the Ponies success over the years and they've denied the Ponies access to Queensland superstars that normally would have been theirs... HAHA!
Storm were created from the ashes of 3 clubs. The NRL and News Ltd may or may not have done that by design, but the cynical side of me will always believe it was done on purpose to be successful in such a harsh environment after thr failure of Perth. Poor old Perth were guinea pigs and built up to fail. The Storm were created with the benefit of knowing what not to do and what had to be done to succeed.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
The storm are a well run club. If it weren't for the Roosters I think it would be fair to say that the Storm are the best run club in the NRL. Every other club (except for the Roosters) should use the Storm as an example as what they should be striving to be

How did the Storm hold onto the Big 3 after being caught cheating? Let me guess, they all took unders for the better part of the next decade.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Brisbane do get away with a lot, especially when they play the Cowboys. Melbourne seem to get all the 50/50 calls go their way when they play the Broncos.

The Broncos have more advantages than any team in the NRL. It is so ironic that their fans whinge so regularly about a NSW conspiracy, or a North Queensland conspiracy or a Storm conspiracy against them.

Now listen to the latest conspiracy... conspiracy from the NRL to penalise them out of every game this year and beyond so that another Brisbane team enters the competition, and steals their fans.

Come to think of it, I feel like the Broncos are so hard done by having read that.........

The Broncos have more advantages than any team in the NRL. It is so ironic that their fans whinge so regularly about a NSW conspiracy, or a North Queensland conspiracy or a Storm conspiracy against them.

Now listen to the latest conspiracy... conspiracy from the NRL to penalise them out of every game this year and beyond so that another Brisbane team enters the competition, and steals their fans.

Come to think of it, I feel like the Broncos are so hard done by having read that.........
I'd love it if another 2 teams were added to the Brisbane metro area over the next 20 years. It would make the Donkeys realise just how lucky they were to have 2.5 million people all to themselves. In the long run it will be good foe everyone, even the Cowboys, as it will create more derbies and games for fans to attend.

TheDalek079

Bench
How did the Storm hold onto the Big 3 after being caught cheating? Let me guess, they all took unders for the better part of the next decade.

Are you a troll? At the time Melbourne had the Big Four. They could not hang onto all four, with GI (who is generally ranked in the top 5 players if the last decade) being forced to leave. They also lost Tolman, Finchy, Lima and White. But despite all that, the excellently run super club was able to maintain their standard of dominance for the next decade. Really inspirational

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Are you a troll? At the time Melbourne had the Big Four. They could not hang onto all four, with GI (who is generally ranked in the top 5 players if the last decade) being forced to leave. They also lost Tolman, Finchy, Lima and White. But despite all that, the excellently run super club was able to maintain their standard of dominance for the next decade. Really inspirational

Billy Slater: arguably the greatest ever fullback
Cooper Cronk: possibly the best half of the modern era not named Thurston or Johns (and even considered better by some fans)
Cameron Smith: the best hooker of all time, and possibly the GOAT.

Yet apparently losing a centre, some props and a journeyman half meant they were definitely under the cap.

Name any other nrl team that could afford three quarters of the Australian spine long-term?

TheDalek079

Bench
Billy Slater: arguably the greatest ever fullback
Cooper Cronk: possibly the best half of the modern era not named Thurston or Johns (and even considered better by some fans)
Cameron Smith: the best hooker of all time, and possibly the GOAT.

Yet apparently losing a centre, some props and a journeyman half meant they were definitely under the cap.

Name any other nrl team that could afford three quarters of the Australian spine long-term?

Ok, so you're either a troll or too young to remember 2010. Sure Cronk was important to the storm, but because in 2010 he was the weakest of the big four. when the salary cap scandal broke he hadn't even played state of origin, and even then it would take him a few more years before he got into the starting team. In contrast, GI was one of the first picked for Queensland and Australia. He had even won the Clive Churchill medal! He was definitely a big loss. And then the storm lost Tolman and Lima who would walk into the starting line up of any other nrl side. They more than paid the price for the cheating. But because they are so well run they came back and dominated the decade. Legends!

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Ok, so you're either a troll or too young to remember 2010. Sure Cronk was important to the storm, but because in 2010 he was the weakest of the big four. when the salary cap scandal broke he hadn't even played state of origin, and even then it would take him a few more years before he got into the starting team. In contrast, GI was one of the first picked for Queensland and Australia. He had even won the Clive Churchill medal! He was definitely a big loss. And then the storm lost Tolman and Lima who would walk into the starting line up of any other nrl side. They more than paid the price for the cheating. But because they are so well run they came back and dominated the decade. Legends!

Cronk's inexperience in representative football was more about the Maroon's (and Kangaroos) loyalty to Thurston and Lockyer than Cronk not being up to it. The Cowboys had a few forgettable club seasons between 2008 to 2010, and there were many people calling for Cronk to replace JT (only for QLD to pick JT, and then win the series).

Likewise, there was no dropping Lockyer as he had a huge CV, extremely popular with the Broncos fan base, and was the QLD and Australian captain. But even Blind Freddy could see that Lockyer's best footy was behind him, and that Cronk was coming, if not already the better player by that point. Cronk had already been in the last 4 grand finals (you don't lead your team to four grand finals if you're a neville nobody halfback).

As for Greg Inglis, he was no doubt a fantastic player, but spine players win premierships and not centres. Or are you telling me the Roosters should have kept Latrell Mitchell and parted with Keary or Tedesco or Friend?

Last edited:

Latest posts