What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No top up from ARU for Choc

aussies1st

Staff member
QUEENSLAND Reds coach Eddie Jones has accused the Australian Rugby Union of failing in its "responsibility" to help his side after snubbing potential league recruit Clinton Schifcofske.

Jones's surprise plan to sign the 30-year-old Canberra fullback as a goalkicking wing hit a roadblock today when the ARU refused to offer him a top-up deal.

With Schifcofske on a $340,000-a-year contract with the Raiders, Queensland will struggle to offer close to the same money without financial assistance from the ARU.

Reds general manager Alex Pope admitted they would "find it extremely difficult to find the necessary resources".

An infuriated Jones took issue with the ARU's decision, hinting it showed favouritism to fellow Super 14 battler Western Force, which last week signed Sydney Roosters league centre Ryan Cross to a contract topped up by the ARU.

"When the Force signed Ryan Cross that was a decided step from the ARU to help the Force get stronger," he said.

"I think it's the ARU's responsibility to help the provinces to field strong sides.

"The stronger we are the better it is for Australian rugby."

Unlike Cross, 26, who overlooked similar offers from New South Wales Waratahs and the Brumbies to link with Force, Schifcofske wasn't viewed as a potential Wallabies player by the ARU because of his age and lack of experience in the code.

Raiders chief executive Simon Hawkins said he was stunned to learn the Reds were keen on luring the veteran skipper, who has a get-out clause in his contract after coach Matt Elliott's decision to move to Penrith next season.

"Clinton is 32 next year and to switch codes for what I'm presuming is a three-year deal, I couldn't believe it to be honest," Hawkins said.

"Stranger things have happened but I still find it amazing."

Schifcofske, used to being snubbed after being overlooked by Queensland league selectors several times since making his only State of Origin appearance in 2002, is rated highly by Jones because of his experience and 86 per cent goalkicking strike rate.

The ARU decision compounds some frustrating times at the contracting table for Jones since taking over from Jeff Miller.

Initial league target Willie Tonga today re-signed for two years with the Bulldogs, forward priority Stephen Hoiles has linked with the Brumbies and the Reds have lost winger Drew Mitchell to Force.

Jones has had success in re-signing young guns Berrick Barnes, Rodney Blake and Lloyd Johansson.

The Reds, who have put an offer to teenage winger Caleb Brown, haven't given up on Schifcofske and hope the ARU will reconsider.

"We need another good experienced player around to support Ben Tune and Chris Latham in the back four there," Jones said.

Jones has reportedly been shortlisted by England's Rugby Football Union to become its director of coaching which comes in the face of his three-year tenure at Ballymore.

Asked if he was entertaining thoughts of taking the job if offered, Jones said: "Not at this stage.

"You never say anything 100 per cent. You don't say no, you don't say yes to anything. Life's a moveable feast but I'm committed to the Reds."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19542257-23210,00.html

Looks like the Reds won't have enough money to offer Schifcofske. Max they could offer is 100k without the top ups which I can't see happening from 3rd parties or the ARU.
Schif either stays here or goes to England.

dubby

Bench
*breathes easier*

WM, give the guy a break; his manager is the one getting all these proposals together.

This may work out for Shif, he may get that QLD #1 afterall, now he's been recognised by the Rah Rah's. QLD would look silly knockin him back...

Paullyboy

Coach
I dont think its a moving back to QLD thing, Id say it was a money thing - and I find it very hard to believe the Titans have much cash left over at all now.

I sort of agree with Waltzing though. I always thought of Schif as bleeding green and the sort of person who would laugh off poachers, but it would appear his loyalty isnt as strong as Id once believed. He's still a legend, but somethings definately different.

Boing Boing

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
Bad luck choc. Ive still lost a fair bit of respect for you after this though.

Oh Jesus mate, why? The bloke is looking at all his options. He isn't the one who has dragged it out in the media, in fact he has had nothing but praise for Canberra.

Boing Boing said:
Oh Jesus mate, why? The bloke is looking at all his options. He isn't the one who has dragged it out in the media, in fact he has had nothing but praise for Canberra.

As Paully said, I thought the guy blead green, and wouldn'e even consider leaving the club. My perspective of him has changed. He had the option to refute the claims in the media and didn't.

I just don't think anyone with a large passion for the raiders would use some dodgy get out clause in his contract and desert his so called 'beloved' club. I know managers blow up the situation, but at the end of the day, Shif had the opportunity to deny the claims.

les amber

Juniors
$ 340,000 WTF !!

i laugh at how guys can be superstars in bad teams, and make more than Great players in good teams !!

People should really think of footy as a job, more than fun, when contract time comes around...

Sign at Canberra for $ 340,000

or

Schif at say Newcastle ( who haev no recognised gun f/back )$ 130,000 MAX....

Iafeta

Referee
waltzing Meninga said:
As Paully said, I thought the guy blead green, and wouldn'e even consider leaving the club. My perspective of him has changed. He had the option to refute the claims in the media and didn't.

I just don't think anyone with a large passion for the raiders would use some dodgy get out clause in his contract and desert his so called 'beloved' club. I know managers blow up the situation, but at the end of the day, Shif had the opportunity to deny the claims.

Schifcofske it should be remembered spent time at South Queensland and Parramatta before going to Canberra and it should also be remembered that a so called perennial one club player in Steve Price made use of a get clause to join the Warriors.

Player's look after their careers, Schifcofkse at the time probably had passion in both the Crushers and Eels jumpers and would have given the best he could while he was at either club. Same as he has at Canberra. Of that there is no doubt.

aussies1st

Staff member
We always pay our stars more than they should be offered. Hence Lyon should come down to Canberra :)

Stuzmeister

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
I've still got respect for the guy, it's his manager getting together opportunites for Clinton to consider. He hasn't, as far as I know, come out and said that he's seriously considering moving codes.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:

Yeah, because if someone offered you another $200k you'd stay with your employer, too.

Fair go, guys. Rugby League is a job for these guys. I left a job I had real passion for once for a $50k increase in my salary. Who the hell am I to criticise someone making the same decision?

If you like your players with passion, go watch park rugby on weekends. If you want to watch full time professional go around, get used to the idea that it's a business.

Thomas

First Grade
...and he hasn't dragged it out for weeks like Gasnier who succeeded in sucking every last drop out of his club.

yeah, thats loyalty.

edabomb

First Grade
Personally I'm not that happy that our captain was willing to jump ship one season into the job, untill the extra money was taken out of the equation by the ARU.

Not really captain material IMO.

Boing Boing

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:

Well he said he would never play for another NRL club. That's good enough for me. As HE said, he would be stupid not to look at the offer. He said it would have to be huge for him to consider leaving.

Tokyo_Raider said:
Yeah, because if someone offered you another $200k you'd stay with your employer, too.

Fair go, guys. Rugby League is a job for these guys. I left a job I had real passion for once for a $50k increase in my salary. Who the hell am I to criticise someone making the same decision?

If you like your players with passion, go watch park rugby on weekends. If you want to watch full time professional go around, get used to the idea that it's a business.

Rugby League is different to a full time job. If i was given the captaincy of the Raiders, I would never ever under any circumstances even consider pulling a move like the shif has done, and if my manager came out with this sh*t in the media, he would be sacked and I would be making a statement to the media advising them of my intentions.

I don't dislike the guy for doing this, or think he hasn't given his best on the feild - clearly he has, I just don't think he has the passion for the club that we need to be leading our side into the future.

Boing Boing

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
Rugby League is different to a full time job. If i was given the captaincy of the Raiders, I would never ever under any circumstances even consider pulling a move like the shif has done, and if my manager came out with this sh*t in the media, he would be sacked and I would be making a statement to the media advising them of my intentions.

I don't dislike the guy for doing this, or think he hasn't given his best on the feild - clearly he has, I just don't think he has the passion for the club that we need to be leading our side into the future.

Well I think your view is a little mislead, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion mate.

Mainstream

Juniors
Boing Boing said:
Well he said he would never play for another NRL club. That's good enough for me. As HE said, he would be stupid not to look at the offer. He said it would have to be huge for him to consider leaving.

He only said he'd not play for another NRL club because he knows he won't get any better $$$ than he is getting from the Raiders from one of them.

I have no problem with him looking after his future and family. But I question whether someone without tenacious loyalty to the Raiders should be our captain.

I'm disappointed with him, because if this falls through, what will the fans and his teammates think of him?

Sure he has every right to explore his options, and I would've been OK had he gone, but he basically admitted he wanted to go to the Reds... but NOW it looks like that has fallen through, and so if he stays, the Raiders will look like nothing more than a fallback option.

Do you want to see your captain only staying because plan A fell through??

I respect Schif for what he's done on the field, but I almost hope he goes now, as otherwise we'll look like a joke.

Just my honest opinion.

Latest posts