What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noddy on the Eels

spiderdan

Bench
Kimmorley basically said what I've been thinking about us this year: Kearney is turning us into a machine, ike the Dragons and like the Storm. It's a funny thing to think about considering our recent run of losing games in the last 5 minutes but Kearney is looking to turn us into a team that just rolls on for 80 minutes.

No matter who they're playing, what the score is, what the time is or where they sit on the ladder, St. George and Melbourne can run through the same motions that allow them to be consistent and thus effective throughout both a game and a season.

We're this close to being in the same group as the two Premiership favourites. That's why we played boring football for the first half of the year, because we were just learning about the grind, the consistency of football. You don't try to teach both substance and style at the same time, so the substance came first and we played boring.

Now we're just starting to open up a bit. HaHa has gone to five-eighth where he belongs. Burt is at fullback where he belongs. We've got a few more options in attack but not so many that we're confusing ourselves and slipping away from the substance.

We're still learning, though. To make this transformation it was always going to take at least a season. Come next year we'll have forwards who know how it works, a five-eighth that has a little bit of experience under his belt, a running and supporting fullback, and we'll get an established halfback and a livewire #14. Possibly an international centre as well.

Personally, I'm very, very happy with where we are. I can absolutely see a fundmanetal change in our team that is geared towards us taking the structure of teams that have been successful over the last 5 years. I'm very excited about 2012 but I'm also very much enjoying watching the Eels in 2011.
you make some good points when you aren't being an obnoxious prick (i kid). good post i think.

the bit i bolded i think you are spot on and i think is very smart coaching if this is what kearney was trying to do. i also think it's the same thing that anderson was trying to do when he started at the club. unfortunately the size of his face may have let him down, as poupou i thnk mentioned elsewhere.

Not that I disagree because you know I don't but I am curious as to what changed your mind from how you felt earlier in the year?

I was wondering one day why we were playing like shit. Doing nothing. Then it dawned on me that maybe that's how we were meant to be playing.

Then everything fell into place and watching Parramatta made sense.

I've been telling everyone around me that Parra was going to be a second half of the year team. I'm copping crap for it now but that's because people can't see the forest for the trees. We're definitely a second half of the year team, we've come along beautifully. All indications point towards a plan of long term competitiveness, as opposed to periods of freakishness and/or luck.

The additions next year will plug the few missing gaps and help us overcome our greatest deficiency - scoring points, or moreso converting pressure and position into points. Sandow, HaHa, Burt, Maitua, Roberts and Tonga will take us that next step.

CrazyEel

Bench
I was wondering one day why we were playing like shit. Doing nothing. Then it dawned on me that maybe that's how we were meant to be playing.

Then everything fell into place and watching Parramatta made sense.

I've been telling everyone around me that Parra was going to be a second half of the year team. I'm copping crap for it now but that's because people can't see the forest for the trees. We're definitely a second half of the year team, we've come along beautifully. All indications point towards a plan of long term competitiveness, as opposed to periods of freakishness and/or luck.

The additions next year will plug the few missing gaps and help us overcome our greatest deficiency - scoring points, or moreso converting pressure and position into points. Sandow, HaHa, Burt, Maitua, Roberts and Tonga will take us that next step.
Cheers HJ, was really interested to know how you arrived at your conclusion. Was kinda similar for me I suppose and it is now so obvious once you grasp all the little bits that make up the whole structure and figure out where the pieces fit.

I agree with you in every way apart from Hayne at 5/8, IMO he doesn't have the natural vision and that is not something you can learn, he has great physical attributes but not the brain, all his biggest plays have come on the back of explosive physical ability in the heat and emotion of the moment and not from careful thought or forward vision. That's why his support play is a little lacking. Best explosive line breaking runner in the game but not a thoughtfull visionary playmaker for mine.

Anyway that's just the way I see it and cheers HJ

spiderdan

Bench
Nostradamus Kimmorley.
i am sure you have a 100% tipping record.

was a somewhat pathetic performance by us against souths though. it seemd to undo everything the players had worked toward the last couple of months. i hope it's a rareity (like in 05 when souths humiliated us).

i still agree with kimorley's summary of where the eels are heading. i just hope next year we can score points.

Utey

Coach
Kimmorley basically said what I've been thinking about us this year: Kearney is turning us into a machine, ike the Dragons and like the Storm. It's a funny thing to think about considering our recent run of losing games in the last 5 minutes but Kearney is looking to turn us into a team that just rolls on for 80 minutes.

No matter who they're playing, what the score is, what the time is or where they sit on the ladder, St. George and Melbourne can run through the same motions that allow them to be consistent and thus effective throughout both a game and a season.

We're this close to being in the same group as the two Premiership favourites. That's why we played boring football for the first half of the year, because we were just learning about the grind, the consistency of football. You don't try to teach both substance and style at the same time, so the substance came first and we played boring.

Now we're just starting to open up a bit. HaHa has gone to five-eighth where he belongs. Burt is at fullback where he belongs. We've got a few more options in attack but not so many that we're confusing ourselves and slipping away from the substance.

We're still learning, though. To make this transformation it was always going to take at least a season. Come next year we'll have forwards who know how it works, a five-eighth that has a little bit of experience under his belt, a running and supporting fullback, and we'll get an established halfback and a livewire #14. Possibly an international centre as well.

Personally, I'm very, very happy with where we are. I can absolutely see a fundmanetal change in our team that is geared towards us taking the structure of teams that have been successful over the last 5 years. I'm very excited about 2012 but I'm also very much enjoying watching the Eels in 2011.

Unfortunately I skip through half the garbage posted in this forum, but I'm glad I didn't miss this. Wow. Great post.

Latest posts