What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-eels footy stuff

Noise

Coach
So I got sent a roosters membership pack by mistake. It’s meant to go to someone else in my suburb. Good old Australia post f**ked up. There is a picture of Boyd cordner on it. Thoughts on drawing a dick in his mouth and go parra on it before delivering it to the correct address? It’s only 1 min up the road....

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
So I got sent a roosters membership pack by mistake. It’s meant to go to someone else in my suburb. Good old Australia post f**ked up. There is a picture of Boyd cordner on it. Thoughts on drawing a dick in his mouth and go parra on it before delivering it to the correct address? It’s only 1 min up the road....
Lay a cable in it and title it the ‘Nate Myles commemorative pack’

Gronk

Staff member
Adam Reynolds is clubless for 2022 and the Bunnies have offered him a 1 year deal.

I assume they have a gun kid coming through ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Interesting comments by notorious groomer/poacher O'Sullivan:
"The best way to win NRL competitions, in my opinion, is to win SG Ball competitions or the equivalent in Queensland and have those successful teams coming through together.

"There's more than enough proof around the game that it works."
Interesting that he doesn't mention winning Harold Matts, which is where rich clubs poach many of their SG Ball players from. Also interesting that winning SG Ball certainly seems to work for some clubs as a precursor to NRL success. Here's the list of SG Ball premiers, runners up and minor premiers of the past 15 years:

upload_2021-3-6_13-15-36.png

It's fair to say that having strong SG Ball teams has been very beneficial for the Roosters (O'Sullivan's old club) and Bulldogs (who were strong between 2012 and 2014) and maybe Souths and Cronulla, but less so for everyone else. It's probably worth noting though that the 2016-17 teams would only just be starting to reap the benefits, while the players from the 2018 SG Ball season would be no older than 21 this year.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The players from the 2017 SG Ball grand final who are now in NRL (full time) programs are:

Bulldogs
Matt Doorey
James Roumanos

Eels
Dylan Brown
Haze Dunster

Panthers
Jaeman Salmon

Sharks
Ronaldo Mulitalo
Franklin Pele
Jensen Taumoepeau
Teig Wilton
Bronson Xerri
Jonaiah Lualua (development)
Luke Metcalf (development)

Tigers
William Kei (development)

Recently released
Dylan Smith (Wests)

As I said, the oldest of these guys are 22 this year, and too old for Flegg. But some of the younguns from 2017 SG Ball (and we had plenty in our team) are in Jersey Flegg squads this year, including the front row Valance Harris, Kyle Schneider and Mark Tepu-Smith. Aukafolau and Tasipale are still around the club too, featuring in the recent trials. I assume they are on NSW Cup contracts.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
By comparison the 2014 SG Ball grand finalists (Roosters vs Panthers, teams taken from this video) are mostly 24 this year, approaching their prime, so you'd expect more of them. The most amazing thing is that the Roosters won that match, and while six of that team are now NRL contracted players, none of them are with the Chooks:

Dragons
Kaide Ellis
Poasa Faamausili

Knights
Connor Watson

Panthers
Nathan Cleary
Christian Crichton
James Fisher-Harris
Tyrone May
Paul Momirovski

Rabbitohs
Latrell Mitchell

Storm
Darryn Schonig

Warriors
Jack Murchie

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Also interesting is to look at the SG Ball grand final teams from 2007. The oldest players were born in 1989, meaning they could've played entire careers and retired by now. There are no reliable records for how many of them spent time in NRL systems, but we at least know which ones made it onto the field in the NRL:

Eels SG Ball 2007
Jason Baitieri (1 game for Roosters)
Jamie Buhrer (173 games for Sea Eagles and Knights)
Nathan Gardner (43 games for Sharks)
Taniela Lasalo (40 games for Eels)
Jon Mannah (24 games for Sharks)
Anthony Mitchell (38 games for Eels, Roosters and Cowboys)
Daniel Mortimer (128 games for Eels, Roosters, Titans and Sharks)

Panthers SG Ball 2007
Mitch Allgood (71 games for Eels and Dragons)
Tinirau Arona (69 games for Roosters and Sharks)
Lachlan Coote (166 games for Panthers and Cowboys)
Tim Glasby (138 games for Storm and Knights)
Wade Graham (248 games for Panthers and Sharks)
Wilie Isa (6 games for Panthers and Storm)
Lancen Joudo (3 games for Sharks)
Sam McKendry (147 games for Panthers)
Daniel Penese (2 games for Panthers)
Jesse Sene-Lefao (44 games for Sea Eagles and Sharks)

Two things stand out; that the Eels won despite having significantly less future NRL talent, and that a disturbingly high proportion of these guys (7 of 17) played for Cronulla. Five of them won NRL premierships.

84 Baby

Referee
Interesting comments by notorious groomer/poacher O'Sullivan:

Interesting that he doesn't mention winning Harold Matts, which is where rich clubs poach many of their SG Ball players from. Also interesting that winning SG Ball certainly seems to work for some clubs as a precursor to NRL success. Here's the list of SG Ball premiers, runners up and minor premiers of the past 15 years:

View attachment 46366

It's fair to say that having strong SG Ball teams has been very beneficial for the Roosters (O'Sullivan's old club) and Bulldogs (who were strong between 2012 and 2014) and maybe Souths and Cronulla, but less so for everyone else. It's probably worth noting though that the 2016-17 teams would only just be starting to reap the benefits, while the players from the 2018 SG Ball season would be no older than 21 this year.
Looking forward to the Steelers breaking their 1st grade drought in the next couple of seasons

Latest posts