What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-eels footy stuff

Noise

Coach
You know what I would like to see, if a player goes onto the open market, they have to sign with the club that is offering them the most money. Most cases it will be the same but at least the shit clubs that throw money at players will get their man.
So your contract ends, you go on the open market, Warriors offer 5k more than your current club and you have to move to New Zealand? Sounds fair.

JokerEel

Coach
So your contract ends, you go on the open market, Warriors offer 5k more than your current club and you have to move to New Zealand? Sounds fair.

Well if you want to test the open market that's what you get.

It might stop players using the "Open Market" to leech their current club out of more money.

Noise

Coach
Well if you want to test the open market that's what you get.

It might stop players using the "Open Market" to leech their current club out of more money.
It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and will never happen in a million years.

JokerEel

Coach
It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and will never happen in a million years.

No one is stopping a player resigning before their contract ends.

I am fairly sure having the ability to sign a contract for another club before you even play 1 game for your new Club is the most ridiculous thing that actually exists.

No one is stopping a player resigning before their contract ends.

I am fairly sure having the ability to sign a contract for another club before you even play 1 game for your new Club is the most ridiculous thing that actually exists.
So a player has to accept whatever their current club offers or they go to the highest bidder?

hybrideel

Bench
So a player has to accept whatever their current club offers or they go to the highest bidder?
"Yeah sorry Player X, we know Parra lowballed you(it's what they do) and you got a good offer from Penrith/Souths/Roosters/any other Sydney team, and your family is set here, kids in school etc, but the Warriors offered $1,000 more than the Sydney team so off you go for 3 years"

Gronk

Staff member
"Yeah sorry Player X, we know Parra lowballed you(it's what they do) and you got a good offer from Penrith/Souths/Roosters/any other Sydney team, and your family is set here, kids in school etc, but the Warriors offered $1,000 more than the Sydney team so off you go for 3 years"
I reckon that this scenario where player managers push naive kids in their 20s to clubs is more common than we would think. Sometimes a player can end up in NZ or Tigers because it suits the managers player roster, not because it's the best fit or deal. Imagine having to go to Tigers and find out that you were a pawn in the process of a marquee player being re-signed or shifted.