What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gronk

Staff member
So apparently Foxtel are slowly changing all cable user to satellite as their HFC cable network is being handed over to the NBN ?

I am with telstra (no contract) and am in an area which had NBN but have been rolled back due to something something NBN upgrades. So currently I have HFC cable broadband and get 30mb/s.

Anyway I was ISP shopping for deals and went to the Foxtel Broadband / NBN website and popped in my address. The result was that Foxtel can provide me with internet but only ADSL2. WTF I am connected to Telstra HFC cable, why would I go back to ADSL and wait for the NBN to be ready in 6 months ?

https://community.foxtel.com.au/t5/...pgrade-HFC-customers-to-Satellite/td-p/226509

Seems that Foxtel's plan is that all their users will be fed NBN and Foxtel bandwidth via satellite.

The lass from Foxtel said ^^^^

We are really just laying the groundwork for an easy six-year transition. 75% of our customer base is already on satellite so it’s not such a big deal. Not unlike our migration from analogue to digital, it may not suit you in the immediate future, but it is an eventuality.

Suitman

Post Whore
So apparently Foxtel are slowly changing all cable user to satellite as their HFC cable network is being handed over to the NBN ?

I am with telstra (no contract) and am in an area which had NBN but have been rolled back due to something something NBN upgrades. So currently I have HFC cable broadband and get 30mb/s.

Anyway I was ISP shopping for deals and went to the Foxtel Broadband / NBN website and popped in my address. The result was that Foxtel can provide me with internet but only ADSL2. WTF I am connected to Telstra HFC cable, why would I go back to ADSL and wait for the NBN to be ready in 6 months ?

https://community.foxtel.com.au/t5/...pgrade-HFC-customers-to-Satellite/td-p/226509

Seems that Foxtel's plan is that all their users will be fed NBN and Foxtel bandwidth via satellite.

I already have satellite. My area does not have NBN yet so I am still on ADSL2.
How would this affect me, either now or in the future?
Just asking for a dummy friend. :)

strider

Post Whore

Why wouldnt they switch it all to streaming?

Gronk

Staff member
I already have satellite. My area does not have NBN yet so I am still on ADSL2.
How would this affect me, either now or in the future?
Just asking for a dummy friend. :)

Well my post was more aimed at merkins who have foxtel via cable, bc they will lose connection and be forced to take satellite. NBN will use the cable. Reading between the lines maybe the NBN decided that Foxtel was using up valuable bandwidth on the HFC network so they pushed them towards satellite.

For you, no change. Is your area getting NBN via cable or satellite in the future ?

Suitman

Post Whore
Well my post was more aimed at merkins who have foxtel via cable, bc they will lose connection and be forced to take satellite. NBN will use the cable. Reading between the lines maybe the NBN decided that Foxtel was using up valuable bandwidth on the HFC network so they pushed them towards satellite.

For you, no change. Is your area getting NBN via cable or satellite in the future ?

I believe via cable.
Local streets are already being done, (a km or so away) but there is no time frame for mine yet, and I'm on a main street into the local estate.

emjaycee

Coach

I have Foxtel via cable and Internet via Optus cable. Do I get to keep my Foxtel cable when the NBN eventually rolls out? We are earmarked for hybrid services according to the NBN website.

Gronk

Staff member
I have Foxtel via cable and Internet via Optus cable. Do I get to keep my Foxtel cable when the NBN eventually rolls out? We are earmarked for hybrid services according to the NBN website.

You will have HFC nbn like me. Moving forward however Foxtel will only be available via dish if you want your IQ3 box or via Foxtel Now streaming.

My Dad had a foxtel dish and could not get the FTA channels and had to toggle between digital and dish, which shitted him.

I looked into Foxtel Now. My Sony Android TV has a Foxtel Play app, but it is not HD. Foxtel Now is HD and accessible via Telstra TV Box. Also Foxtel have their own streaming box below. Not sure if it provides the same programs as cable Foxtel. Obviously you can only stream and have no ability to record or rewind live TV like you can on IQ3.

Some people have Foxtel Now on Ipad and Chromecast it. They use the ipad as a fancy remote and it works well apparently.

images

Telstra TV is below and gives you access to Netflix etc if you dont have a smart TV

images

Last edited: