What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gronk

Staff member
Hang on. Why is Gary's colleague doing approvals for a mine? :thinking:

Are you sure he said mine ?

giphy.gif

84 Baby

Referee
Outside of a new crypto becoming the one widely used (and desired) coin, it’s unlikely that there’ll be anymore Bitcoin billionaires, other than those who are actively (and I mean almost full time job actively) in the market.

Gronk

Staff member
Merkins are saying that it's still FOMO, @Avenger

Bitcoin is back in a big way

Bitcoin has nearly tripled over the past three months as 'fear of missing out' once again grips retail investors.

Patrick Commins Columnist
Jun 26, 2019 — 11.46am
What's a bitcoin worth?

Right now, according to Bloomberg, a single unit of the cryptocurrency is valued at $US11,741 ($16,860). If you'd asked the same question three months ago, the answer would have been: a little above $US4000.

That's right, bitcoin is back in a big way. The virtual currency has jumped by 50 per cent over the past three weeks. As for what's next, the boom and bust of 2017-18 is both a warning of what can go wrong and a promise of what might come.

upload_2019-6-26_15-38-2.png

Bitcoin's price peaked above $US19,500 in intraday trading on December 18, 2017, after turning parabolic in the preceding weeks. At one stage it doubled in price in a mere 18 days.

There's a touch of the exponential, too, in the recent price action.

planning its own virtual currency, Libra, for its billions of active users should lift the profile of bitcoin, as well as its peers, such as ethereum or litecoin. At least that's the hope.

Investors are also drawing parallels between gold and bitcoin – the precious metal and "ultimate store of value" has also jumped and now trades at six-year highs.

Indeed, bitcoin enthusiasts refer to it as "digital gold".

Golden age
To some degree this is fair: both are alternative currencies and sit outside the reach of central bank manipulation, at a time when the guardians of fiat currencies are flagging a renewed round of extreme monetary policies.

Of course, it doesn’t help when the US President says the Federal Reserve “doesn’t know what it is doing”, as he recently opined on Twitter.

Honestly, though, this link between bitcoin and gold feels more emotional than anything else. In fact, you probably can't think of two more unlike assets – one a new and flighty virtual currency which is digitally "mined" at a rate determined by a computer algorithm, and the other a millennia-old embodiment of tangible value.

Indeed, if bitcoin represents anything, it is as the purest expression of FOMO – or "fear of missing out". There are few things more excruciating than watching your neighbour get rich. This is a market clearly driven by massive speculation. The lack of institutional involvement means retail investors and momentum-chasing rules the day.

Which begs the question: what is bitcoin really worth? Are there reliable ways to value it?

Analysts at JP Morgan reckon the best way to determine bitcoin's intrinsic value is to treat is as a commodity – it is "mined", after all. And that uses electricity. Electricity costs money, so it makes sense that people will be incentivised to mine more bitcoins for as long as the price is above the marginal cost of producing those coins.

The problem with this: it's probably bunkum. Bitcoin is designed to be used as a medium of exchange: for easy and cheap transacting across borders, remitting money back home, buying coffees, that kind of thing.

Its true value
Which means beyond the hype and the hope, the greed and the fear, the true value of bitcoin and its fellows will ultimately be driven by the degree to which people use them, Pepperstone's resident Millennial bitcoin expert Sam Holman reckons.

Daily transaction volumes in bitcoin have reached annualised levels of about $US1 trillion, near all-time highs, Holman says. Compare that to the big payment systems like Mastercard and Visa, which have annual volumes of $US4 trillion and $US8 trillion, respectively.

But how do you actually buy bitcoin? This journalist wanted to find out. No surprise it is very easy.

First you download an app such as Coinbase, which is the largest of its type in the US and apparently 100 per cent legit. Then you verify your identity by using the app to take pictures of the front and back of your license. Add your credit card details and you are ready to go.

So it was that in, probably, about 10 minutes I had spent $50 buying 0.00282615 of a bitcoin, worth $47.76. That included a $1.99 transaction fee.

A hour later it was worth $48.43.

"It's difficult to pinpoint where [bitcoin's price] will stop or where it will go," Holman says. "It's hard to gauge how far this rocket will go."

Whatever: I'm riding this thing all the way to the moon.

https://www.afr.com/markets/currencies/bitcoin-is-back-in-a-big-way-20190626-p521by

Avenger

Immortal

Bitcoin has nearly tripled over the past three months as 'fear of missing out' once again grips retail investors.

Jun 26, 2019 — 11.46am
What's a bitcoin worth?

Right now, according to Bloomberg, a single unit of the cryptocurrency is valued at $US11,741 ($16,860). If you'd asked the same question three months ago, the answer would have been: a little above $US4000.

That's right, bitcoin is back in a big way. The virtual currency has jumped by 50 per cent over the past three weeks. As for what's next, the boom and bust of 2017-18 is both a warning of what can go wrong and a promise of what might come.

View attachment 30878

Bitcoin's price peaked above $US19,500 in intraday trading on December 18, 2017, after turning parabolic in the preceding weeks. At one stage it doubled in price in a mere 18 days.

planning its own virtual currency, Libra, for its billions of active users should lift the profile of bitcoin, as well as its peers, such as ethereum or litecoin. At least that's the hope.

Investors are also drawing parallels between gold and bitcoin – the precious metal and "ultimate store of value" has also jumped and now trades at six-year highs.

Golden age
To some degree this is fair: both are alternative currencies and sit outside the reach of central bank manipulation, at a time when the guardians of fiat currencies are flagging a renewed round of extreme monetary policies.

Of course, it doesn’t help when the US President says the Federal Reserve “doesn’t know what it is doing”, as he recently opined on Twitter.

Honestly, though, this link between bitcoin and gold feels more emotional than anything else. In fact, you probably can't think of two more unlike assets – one a new and flighty virtual currency which is digitally "mined" at a rate determined by a computer algorithm, and the other a millennia-old embodiment of tangible value.

Indeed, if bitcoin represents anything, it is as the purest expression of FOMO – or "fear of missing out". There are few things more excruciating than watching your neighbour get rich. This is a market clearly driven by massive speculation. The lack of institutional involvement means retail investors and momentum-chasing rules the day.

Which begs the question: what is bitcoin really worth? Are there reliable ways to value it?

Analysts at JP Morgan reckon the best way to determine bitcoin's intrinsic value is to treat is as a commodity – it is "mined", after all. And that uses electricity. Electricity costs money, so it makes sense that people will be incentivised to mine more bitcoins for as long as the price is above the marginal cost of producing those coins.

The problem with this: it's probably bunkum. Bitcoin is designed to be used as a medium of exchange: for easy and cheap transacting across borders, remitting money back home, buying coffees, that kind of thing.

Its true value
Which means beyond the hype and the hope, the greed and the fear, the true value of bitcoin and its fellows will ultimately be driven by the degree to which people use them, Pepperstone's resident Millennial bitcoin expert Sam Holman reckons.

Daily transaction volumes in bitcoin have reached annualised levels of about $US1 trillion, near all-time highs, Holman says. Compare that to the big payment systems like Mastercard and Visa, which have annual volumes of $US4 trillion and $US8 trillion, respectively.

But how do you actually buy bitcoin? This journalist wanted to find out. No surprise it is very easy.

First you download an app such as Coinbase, which is the largest of its type in the US and apparently 100 per cent legit. Then you verify your identity by using the app to take pictures of the front and back of your license. Add your credit card details and you are ready to go.

So it was that in, probably, about 10 minutes I had spent $50 buying 0.00282615 of a bitcoin, worth $47.76. That included a $1.99 transaction fee.

"It's difficult to pinpoint where [bitcoin's price] will stop or where it will go," Holman says. "It's hard to gauge how far this rocket will go."

https://www.afr.com/markets/currencies/bitcoin-is-back-in-a-big-way-20190626-p521by
You’re f**king worse than Tony Abbott dismissing climate change.

Avenger

Immortal
I got the first part right and have another 18 months. Still has to nearly double from what I predicted which is a big ask.

If it gets there do I officially rule? seeing I bought mine at $2500 Aussie?

hindy111

Post Whore

Jun 26, 2019 — 11.46am
What's a bitcoin worth?

View attachment 30878

Golden age

Its true value

Bitcoins a good investment if you have money. For your average person who can't afford to lose 10-20k it isn't worth talking about.
Unsure why all are debating it. Of course its a good risk worth taking if can afford to lose the money and not hurt you. But for people like myself I work to hard for my money and if lost 10k id feel sick.

Gronk

Staff member
Bitcoins a good investment if you have money. For your average person who can't afford to lose 10-20k it isn't worth talking about.
Unsure why all are debating it. Of course its a good risk worth taking if can afford to lose the money and not hurt you. But for people like myself I work to hard for my money and if lost 10k id feel sick.
Yeah I don't think you established why it's a good investment.

hindy111

Post Whore
"I'm worse than Tony Abbott" is a very low blow indeed.

#boo

My issue with bitcoin or any of these cryto things is who started them?
The far wealthier people and businesses if gets to a point where they feel its a hinderance or a way to make a lot of money will start their own and make it the premium crypto currency and crush all others.
It just isn't big enough yet for them to give that much of a shit. But these rich merkins who own banks arent going to let these guys take away to much from their profits. At same time theyd be thinking this is a good idea. Let them do all the hard work and promote it. Let people feel comfortable with the whole crypto shit. Then we will come in and crush them like a pissant. And start our own. Think of it like drug dealing. If anything they are just collecting new customers before they are crushed for stepping on other people turf.