What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Bazal

Post Whore
The look on your face when i waffle stomped it into your front seat will br something i take to my grave.

tenor.gif

Gronk

Staff member
You think a second wave of COVID-19 is impossible?

Not all. If you actually read my posts you will see that I was trying to drill down on what sort of a second wave would need to hit to cause a 30-40% drop on property values. It would need to be a catastrophic death toll. In the GFC prices dropped in Melbourne 30%, but the market felt that there was a correction needed in that city anyway.

upload_2020-6-5_18-39-1.png

Incorrect

Coach
Not all. If you actually read my posts you will see that I was trying to drill down on what sort of a second wave would need to hit to cause a 30-40% drop on property values. It would need to be a catastrophic death toll. In the GFC prices dropped in Melbourne 30%, but the market felt that there was a correction needed in that city anyway.

View attachment 38808
Nup, lost me right there...

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
You and your mate can f**k right off if you come anywhere near Woody Pt.
You dickhead.

Why would either of us go to that shithole?

If you want anything, use the river and save anyone the displeasure of travelling anywhere near that rat infested, imbred, shittown that you've sadly decided to retire in you syphilitic, geriatric, shitbag, merkin-fingered silly old cum stain!

View attachment 38808

The GFC wasn't accompanied by a major shock to employment in Australia. The big issue here is how many defaults eventually occur, and then how many people can actually afford a mortgage worth 80% of today's value of the property offered. I suspect that prices will fall by a reasonable margin, but on very low volumes of trade .Wouldn't take a lot for that to become more severe though, given the reduction in overseas demand accompanying the fall in temporary migration of overseas students....and the cash that comes from their parents buying property here.

The GFC wasn't accompanied by a major shock to employment in Australia. The big issue here is how many defaults eventually occur, and then how many people can actually afford a mortgage worth 80% of today's value of the property offered. I suspect that prices will fall by a reasonable margin, but on very low volumes of trade .Wouldn't take a lot for that to become more severe though, given the reduction in overseas demand accompanying the fall in temporary migration of overseas students....and the cash that comes from their parents buying property here.
What are your thoughts on our handling of this? Is the cure worse than the disease?

What are your thoughts on our handling of this? Is the cure worse than the disease?

I don't think anybody has enough information to make a definitive statement on that question. So I'm not going to make one up. My take on the situation is that we really had to buy breathing space to allow us to expand capacity in intensive care wards etc, and that we took a pragmatic approach to achieving it. We will never know whether that was necessary or not. You can't rewind reality and watch it again after changing one variable. There are reasonable arguments regarding how we trade-off lives now v future prosperity (and lives), but they're also hard to assess. We make these trade-offs in normal circumstances too (e.g. we could save lives by reducing speed limits to 40km/h and locking up anyone who speeds....but we don't). I'm not a fan of ScoMo at all, but I think we've done ok thus far....not a fan of the latest renovation stimulus.

I don't think anybody has enough information to make a definitive statement on that question. So I'm not going to make one up. My take on the situation is that we really had to buy breathing space to allow us to expand capacity in intensive care wards etc, and that we took a pragmatic approach to achieving it. We will never know whether that was necessary or not. You can't rewind reality and watch it again after changing one variable. There are reasonable arguments regarding how we trade-off lives now v future prosperity (and lives), but they're also hard to assess. We make these trade-offs in normal circumstances too (e.g. we could save lives by reducing speed limits to 40km/h and locking up anyone who speeds....but we don't). I'm not a fan of ScoMo at all, but I think we've done ok thus far....not a fan of the latest renovation stimulus.
I agree with most of that. Although I think we've gone beyond buying breathing space and shifted to almost eradication. And we were only doing this to flatten the curve. But we seem to have forgotten that.

I agree with most of that. Although I think we've gone beyond buying breathing space and shifted to almost eradication. And we were only doing this to flatten the curve. But we seem to have forgotten that.

You gotta remember that there is a considerable lag in the data required to work out whether you have, actually, flattened the curve. The situation was complicated by the cluster f**k arising from the 'let everybody off the Ruby Princess' farce. If we were trying to eradicate the virus we would not be relaxing shit now. We will inevitably have a significant number of cases over the next 6 months. It's not as if other countries' approaches have left their economy in a better state. Part of the pain we are going to feel is not directly caused by our shutdown.....it will result from the economic contraction of our trading partners...and that has bugger all to do with our policies.

You gotta remember that there is a considerable lag in the data required to work out whether you have, actually, flattened the curve. The situation was complicated by the cluster f**k arising from the 'let everybody off the Ruby Princess' farce. If we were trying to eradicate the virus we would not be relaxing shit now. We will inevitably have a significant number of cases over the next 6 months. It's not as if other countries' approaches have left their economy in a better state. Part of the pain we are going to feel is not directly caused by our shutdown.....it will result from the economic contraction of our trading partners...and that has bugger all to do with our policies.
I think we're in a quandary. We got lucky and now our measures are too effective. Not enough of us have been exposed and now we don't really know where to go from here..

hindy111

Post Whore

Agree.
If someone can afford a 150k reno they do not need 25k boost