What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Buying the ticket gives people hope. That can be enough to keep some going. It also is a bit of fun. Is that worth something even if it costs you money? Ultimately your life experiences are more important then what you've collected. Avenger enjoys himself and can afford too. Good for him.

People like me and you are not in as good a position finacialy I assume so we focus on other areas and are more carefull but why should he? He is in a position to take larger risks.
Your constant attacks on his financial success makes little sense to me. He has earned the right to do it. He is higher up the food chain. That's just reality. We feed off each other. He is a bigger fish.
It's the bragging I take issue with. Some people get good advice from a young age, others never get good advice from people they trust for their entire lives. I was lucky enough to get good advice from a trusted source in my thirties, when I was already in big debt. Then I had some more luck to get some big overseas jobs to clear that debt and start investing. Without that I could still be wondering how to afford to buy a house. I certainly don't brag about it, especially to the less fortunate.

Moral of the story, a big fish that big notes is a big shitbag.

hindy111

Post Whore
It's the bragging I take issue with. Some people get good advice from a young age, others never get good advice from people they trust for their entire lives. I was lucky enough to get good advice from a trusted source in my thirties, when I was already in big debt. Then I had some more luck to get some big overseas jobs to clear that debt and start investing. Without that I could still be wondering how to afford to buy a house. I certainly don't brag about it, especially to the less fortunate.

Yeah life isn't fair amd everyone gets different opportunities so staying humble is important. We all find our own little joys. Some get more luck then others in some shape or form.

Gronk

Staff member
Not only that, But Kurtley Beale received a yellow card and 10 in the bin in the first half for knocking the ball down exactly like that
WTF?
Yes because in RU, slapping the ball down (even going for an intercept) is negative play and as you said, you get binned.

Suitman

Post Whore
Yes because in RU, slapping the ball down (even going for an intercept) is negative play and as you said, you get binned.

I'm aware of that rule in rugby. It's f**king stupid.
And that is what my "WTF" was directed at.
The Welsh player did exactly the same thing yet it was play on and a 7 point turnaround. It cost us the game.
It's no wonder David Rennie was blowing up.

Suitman

Post Whore
Yeah life isn't fair amd everyone gets different opportunities so staying humble is important. We all find our own little joys. Some get more luck then others in some shape or form.

I worked my arse off when I was 20 - 50 years old and was set up for life owning 3 properties until a divorce killed it and screwed me.
I now rent and am still working my arse off just to pay for my rent amongst a heap of other expenses like life and health insurance.
Life went from being extremely comfortable with two decent wages and a good portfolio of property to currently struggling.
Like you said, some get more luck than others.

hindy111

Post Whore
I worked my arse off when I was 20 - 50 years old and was set up for life owning 3 properties until a divorce killed it and screwed me.
I now rent and am still working my arse off just to pay for my rent amongst a heap of other expenses like life and health insurance.
Life went from being extremely comfortable with two decent wages and a good portfolio of property to currently struggling.

Sorry to hear. I've seen a few men finacialy ruined from divorce

Incorrect

Coach
That sucks mate. Hate hearing stuff like that. Hope your fair share of good luck is not far away....

Gronk

Staff member
Bugger mate. I hope things are now on the up for you. 🙏

You can stick your arm out to go for an intercept without a problem. But if you are close to the passer and try to block the pass you'll get binned. I actually got binned for calling for an intercept in one of my 3 games of union. Probably fair enough I guess.

Bandwagon

Staff member

Separation is f**king tough to negotiate. Mine went ok, she got money, I got debt. But I was, and am happy enough with that 'cause I managed to hold onto my business, and that gives me more than enough income to service my debt, and rebuild some kind of wealth.

What helped me was watching my sister get screwed over her separation a year or so before, and seeing first hand how easily shit could become escalated to the point where only the Lawyers are happy in the end. But f**k it took some focus, determination and patience to manage, and I can see how easy it would be to make a complete mess of it.

We still are on reasonable terms, though it could so easily have gone to shit at any time. Anyways, I hope you're ok with where you are mate. Cause in the end, despite the money, that's what really matters.

Bandwagon

Staff member

Why would you really care?

There's literally nothing to be gained in that space.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why would you really care?

There's literally nothing to be gained in that space.
Do we choose what we care about? Why do you care about any of the shit that you care about? Do you even need to answer that question? It's your business.

Personally I don't like seeing people brag about good luck, or the reverse, blaming people for bad luck. Sure we can make decisions to increase or decrease our exposure to good and bad luck but even the decisions we make are subject to the limited information and other resources we have. It all boils down to luck, including the circumstances of our birth.

Why do I care? That's obviously a question you care about. I certainly don't care about why I care about things. It's very meta. If I had to guess I would say caring about whether people assign praise or blame for luck benefits me in some way.

Bandwagon

Staff member
You've always struck me as very relaxed and non-plussed.
I just don't see benefit in dwelling on insignificant negatives. People are what they are, they will do shit. Let it go, move on.

Do we choose what we care about?

I guess it depends on how able you are at rationalising that which you care about, and quantifying the amount of f**ks that really deserves.

Why do I care? That's obviously a question you care about. I certainly don't care about why I care about things. It's very meta. If I had to guess I would say caring about whether people assign praise or blame for luck benefits me in some way.

If you don't understand why you care about any particular thing, I would suggest you don't understand that thing enough to give it the care you're giving it.