What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Polygamists have the right to get married. Only once, but there is nothing saying they can't marry at all like same sex couples. They just can't marry five people. Which I also disagree with btw. Of someone wants five wives or five husbands and everyone involved is happy, who am I to say they shouldn't?
I believe the thinking behind it is that anybody who would choose to share a spouse isn't capable of making a rational decision. So the restriction is to protect messed up people from themselves.

This same paternalism is at work in euthanasia laws, and was behind 'bedroom laws' when they were a thing, such as when homosexual acts were illegal.

Gronk

Staff member
Talking about polygamy is a diversion and only gives traction to the pandora's box slippery slope argument.

Gronk

Staff member
How is it not relevant? Polygamy has a lot more historical traction than SSM.

It's not relevant to the plebiscite. The proposed amendment to the Marriage Act (which is actually just a reversal of what Howard changed) is a change of the words "man and woman" back to "two people".

It's not relevant to the plebiscite. The proposed amendment to the Marriage Act (which is actually just a reversal of what Howard changed) is a change of the words "man and woman" back to "two people".
So presumably we've had same sex couples get married before? Or did no one think to try?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well discussing polygamy is more interesting than legalese.

Gronk

Staff member
So presumably we've had same sex couples get married before? Or did no one think to try?

I think the answer to that involves community acceptance of homosexuality. It was difficult to come out in the 80's 90's without backlash.

After all it took the AMA to 1984 to remove homosexuality from its list of illnesses and disorders.

I think the answer to that involves community acceptance of homosexuality. It was difficult to come out in the 80's 90's without backlash.

After all it took the AMA to 1984 to remove homosexuality from its list of illnesses and disorders.
It's still surprising if not even one couple attempted it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

So was it listed as a mental illness for political reasons or was it removed from the list for political reasons? Did the AMA suddenly become trustworthy in 1984?

Gronk

Staff member
It's still surprising if not even one couple attempted it.

SSM was legalised in Netherlands in 2001 and Howards 2004 amendment also made it impossible to accept an OS marriage as legitimate.

As to an attempt have a SSM I'm not sure. There have been plenty on our soil however bc if one is a British citizen you can marry at the consulate. Of course not recognised here.

Gronk

Staff member
So was it listed as a mental illness for political reasons or was it removed from the list for political reasons? Did the AMA suddenly become trustworthy in 1984?

Apparantly the first vibrator was invented to treat women for hysteria.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep. The idea that our own religious beliefs should be forced on the rest of society is very Old Testament. It's a political position for followers of Orthodox Judaism.