What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So you do believe we should supply other countries? Because that kinda goes against what you said when you said "why should we supply other countries?"

no, I said why should we supply the world, as you asserted we should so we dont trash the economy

look at the problems we are experiencing with LPG, we are supplying the world and we got f**k all for our own people and the price we pay for what is mined here is ridiculous

every one is fighting over what little is left for our own market and if we supply the world with our coal we will no doubt go the same way

that said I agree with the rest of your post

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Is it just me or did @Twizzle very clearly suggest that there were alternatives to using coal for steel production and then later distance himself from such claims?

Show of hands please.

I think you are mistaking where the power comes from, which was my point or it was supposed to be, rather then the use of raw materials (coal) for the making of steel. You cant make steel without coal, as I said we all went to high school,

there is no reason why renewables cant be used to power steel manufacturing, I'm not really sure why that is so difficult to get your head around

I am not in favour of people like Adani raping our country for tax payer dollars so they can pollute the GBR,and central Qld. Coal is a very inefficient way of producing power, its a 5 step process and the second stage, burning of the coal to make steam is very inefficient as we see a lot of energy wasted and is discharged out those huge stacks and pollute the environment

if we are going to pout money into upgrading infrastructure we should invest in hydro and renewables as hydro is dispatchable power and doesn't pollute

Bazal

Post Whore
Hydro totally wrecks ecosystems though. Even renewables can have huge environmental impacts, which is something a lot of the kind of people I was talking about before seem to miss.

Hydro totally wrecks ecosystems though. Even renewables can have huge environmental impacts, which is something a lot of the kind of people I was talking about before seem to miss.
But theoretically, a paddle wheel stuck halfway up a waterfall, where the water has far enough to fall after it leaves the wheel to again reach terminal velocity.... isn't that basically creating energy? Or at least creating more than you are expending?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

wind has some acoutic issues in harmonics but generally they are located from occupied areas, but yeh, even a nice cab sav has its drawbacks, normally he next day

we dont live in a perfect world, if we did we would have beaten the Storm and wouldn't have had to play the cowpats

Bazal

Post Whore
But theoretically, a paddle wheel stuck halfway up a waterfall, where the water has far enough to fall after it leaves the wheel to again reach terminal velocity.... isn't that basically creating energy? Or at least creating more than you are expending?

The wheel takes the energy from the water, then the water is still subject to gravity. It still has mass, so gravity can act on it.

Actually given gravity can act on light it theoretically doesn't even need mass. But that's more physics than I'm qualified to bullshit about

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

impossible to create energy, it can only be transferred from one form to another, or one form to others

the trick is to transfer it efficiently which probabaly only happens with wind and hydro

solar and coal fired suck balls as far as efficiency goes

Bazal

Post Whore
wind has some acoutic issues in harmonics but generally they are located from occupied areas, but yeh, even a nice cab sav has its drawbacks, normally he next day

we dont live in a perfect world, if we did we would have beaten the Storm and wouldn't have had to play the cowpats

No we don't and that's my point. Everything we do impacts the environment, so it becomes about trade offs. Hydro probably is too destructive, on a large scale anyway, to be a worthwhile solution.

Realistically for Australia, solar and wind are probably the best options. Which is why there's now a billion solar panels up the road from my place. But even they have downsides. Especially if you're a bird.

EDIT I say wind and solar because unfortunately the Greens have put paid to nuclear power, which is easily the best option

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Right, but if the water continues to fall doesn't it have the same potential energy? So is gravity taking the hit?

gravity is what causes it to fall and is fixed, its is responsible for the water having potential

the water has x amount of potential based on its height, so generally the hydro plants are closer to the bottom, as it leaves the plant it may still have some potential but not much as its nearer its terminal velocity

there are other issues which determine it viability like economics of building the merkin in a dangerous environment like a waterfall, hence its all done in a sealed pipe systems behind a huge wall

The wheel takes the energy from the water, then the water is still subject to gravity. It still has mass, so gravity can act on it.

Actually given gravity can act on light it theoretically doesn't even need mass. But that's more physics than I'm qualified to bullshit about
So hydro is lowering the earth's gravity? Now that I think about it, that's probably why they call it 'getting high'.

Bazal

Post Whore
So hydro is lowering the earth's gravity? Now that I think about it, that's probably why they call it 'getting high'.

Gravity is a constant result of mass. You and I have gravity, it's just miniscule compared to the moon, or a planet, or the last manatee Gary had relations with.

So no, it's not lowering gravity. Gravity is acting on the potential energy in the water and converting it to kinetic energy

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No we don't and that's my point. Everything we do impacts the environment, so it becomes about trade offs. Hydro probably is too destructive, on a large scale anyway, to be a worthwhile solution.

Realistically for Australia, solar and wind are probably the best options. Which is why there's now a billion solar panels up the road from my place. But even they have downsides. Especially if you're a bird.

EDIT I say wind and solar because unfortunately the Greens have put paid to nuclear power, which is easily the best option

solar is only about 30% efficient but it has no moving parts and cant break down and its reasonably cheap

, wind will work of a night and solar wont, they all have different aspects

problem with renewables is they are not dispatchable, they need to have their change stored, we used to have the best storage system in the world (Vernadium Radox) developed in Melbourne, sold the patent to the Japs and they have done f**k all with it, so all we can do now is pump it into the grid

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Gravity is the moons pull on the earth. Its only relevant when discussing how potential energy works. No gravity, no potential energy.

Bazal

Post Whore
solar is only about 30% efficient but it has no moving parts and cant break down and its reasonably cheap

, wind will work of a night and solar wont, they all have different aspects

problem with renewables is they are not dispatchable, they need to have their change stored, we used to have the best storage system in the world (Vernadium Radox) developed in Melbourne, sold the patent to the Japs and they have done f**k all with it, so all we can do now is pump it into the grid

Enter Elon Musk!

Eventually we're going to need storage of some kind anyway. Or we could shoot all the Greenies and build a couple of nuclear plants...