What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

He's literally been asking the whole time where the "extra" energy comes from.

Personally I think he's had too much chemical energy...
There is no extra energy.

There is only extra conversion of energy.

No different from having two water falls and two paddle wheels.

Anyways it's all actually solar powered because water won't go uphill by it's self.
But one waterfall is producing twice as much electrical energy, yet the water in both waterfalls has the same energy after it has exited the bottom wheel. No?

And I've only had a couple of codral and a few beers.

Bazal

Post Whore
But one waterfall is producing twice as much electrical energy, yet the water in both waterfalls has the same energy after it has exited the bottom wheel. No?

It's only producing more because you have added an extra way of converting the energy.

If you have one fishing rod in a river on one side of an island, and two on the other, does catching more on the side with two mean you are creating extra fish?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
there will be environmental damage as a by product of their mining, there will be pollution of the water supply as they need lots of water for coal mining and it finds its way via the river systems to the reef, not to mention the increased shipping required to transport the coal

there is already damage to the reef from past mining, as much as the EPA monitor it, it still gets polluted
I get some of what you are saying but the reef linkage is really tenuous. In fact a lot of what you are suggesting re: the GBR is horribly misguided.

Read about Reef VTS. It's a world leading shipping system that is streets ahead of what happens in other parts of the world. It is incredibly well managed and the risk associated with ships is very low.

Read the Independent Science Panel's recommendations on the GBR. While you are at it, read the GBR outlook report. These reports will highlight the key threats to the GBR. You won't find the ones that you are listing anywhere in those reports.

Don't believe everything you get told by greenies with an agenda. Yes, mining undoubtedly has environmental impacts but some of the absolute horseshit that I have seen being asserted about mining and the GBR is unbelievable.

I understand why people put that shit out there. What I don't understand is why others don't even bother to check it.

It's only producing more because you have added an extra way of converting the energy.

If you have one fishing rod in a river on one side of an island, and two on the other, does catching more on the side with two mean you are creating extra fish?
No because there are less fish on the side with two rods after you've caught them. But the water after the paddle wheels is identical.

Bazal

Post Whore
No because there are less fish on the side with two rods after you've caught them. But the water after the paddle wheels is identical.

Well if you want to get really technical there's less water after the paddles too, given that the force of hitting the paddles ejects water from the main flow.

The principle is the same. You catch more fish (in the hypothetical world) because you have two hooks. You only have twice as much energy because you have twice as many ways of converting it.

Well if you want to get really technical there's less water after the paddles too, given that the force of hitting the paddles ejects water from the main flow.

The principle is the same. You catch more fish (in the hypothetical world) because you have two hooks. You only have twice as much energy because you have twice as many ways of converting it.
But let's assume no water is lost and it could all be redirected as it was before the wheel. What energy has the water lost? It would have the same effect on the bottom wheel as the second waterfall.

Bazal

Post Whore
But let's assume no water is lost and it could all be redirected as it was before the wheel. What energy has the water lost? It would have the same effect on the bottom wheel as the second waterfall.

It's lost no energy, that's the point. It's just been converted more times.

Bazal

Post Whore
How do you convert the energy in the water to electrical energy and yet the water continues to have the same energy?

I'm actually serious.

Well because the electrical energy comes from the turbine not the water. The turbine converts the kinetic energy into electricity, all the water does is turn the turbine.

If you haven't got a turbine, all you have is water turning a paddle. Maybe a sweet ride.

Bandwagon

Staff member

The water will accelerate with gravity until such time as it reaches terminal velocity, terminal velocity is reached when the energy imparted by gravity is offset by the conversion of kinetic energy to heat energy via friction, and the transference of kinetic energy to the air

So, by having two wheels, you simply convert more energy into electricity than is converted to heat and or or transferred into kinetic energy in other matter.

Or there is this...........

321.gif

Well because the electrical energy comes from the turbine not the water. The turbine converts the kinetic energy into electricity, all the water does is turn the turbine.

If you haven't got a turbine, all you have is water turning a paddle. Maybe a sweet ride.
The water will accelerate with gravity until such time as it reaches terminal velocity, terminal velocity is reached when the energy imparted by gravity is offset by the conversion of kinetic energy to heat energy via friction, and the transference of kinetic energy to the air

So, by having two wheels, you simply convert more energy into electricity than is converted to heat and or or transferred into kinetic energy in other matter.

Or there is this...........

321.gif
Yes so what is actually happening is that gravity is providing the energy? So ultimately the water's energy is not being converted, gravity's is. And this doesn't affect gravity?