What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gronk

Staff member
Oh I thought you were making an analogy. You know, climate change = terminal illness.

World Energy Council Secretary General recently predicted that there would be (grid) parity in production costs (renewable /non-renewable energy production) in 2030-5. So no merkin is going bankrupt.

In spite of falling renewable costs, fossil fuel generation is still cheaper in most regards, except for one – the price of operation. The WEC notes that once renewables are built and online, their costs are mainly marginal operational and maintenance expenses. Compare that to fossil fuels, whose costs are volatile and subject to change from factors like commodity price swings and external costs like carbon pricing and pollution.

We have an ageing fleet of coal power stations and the cost of maintenance is cost prohibitive. Hence why AGL are closing Liddell. The merkin from AGL recently said

“You’ll hear people say, ‘no, coal can compete’,” Andy Vesey, the chief executive of AGL Energy told a forum in Melbourne yesterday.

“But I’ve looked at the numbers and come to decisions (that) are going to direct billions of dollars of investment.

“The new base load for us is going to be large-scale renewables, firmed up by open-cycle gas and, eventually, when storage comes down, that’s what it will be.’’

AGL is the country’s biggest owner of coal-fired power and has committed to shut all coal stations by 2048.

Bazal

Post Whore
umm............no

where did I say we should trash our economy ?

there is plenty of middle ground

So you do believe we should supply other countries? Because that kinda goes against what you said when you said "why should we supply other countries?"

Ultimately fossil fuels will run out regardless and we need to be moving away from them anyway because of their environmental impact. Our total coal exports generate somewhere around 40-50 billion dollars alone...you can't just take that out of the economy and expect it to take it all in stride, and that money helps with the development of renewables as well. Mining companies and Petrochemical companies and so forth know their resources are finite and they need to adapt or die out. A surprising amount of renewable research is done by "big oil" as the Greenies like to call them and a lot of that money comes from exports.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
As I explained, the power doesn't need to come from coal. I acknowledge we need coal to make steel, I went to high school too.

And why do we need to supply the world ?
You haven't answered my question! You've just said it could be done. I'm wanting you to explain how! If you do some research you might find that it is a stretch to make such a suggestion. But tell me, how do you think it could work?

As for 'why Australia' there are obvious economic benefits but the truthful answer is that the Bowen Basin is the cleanest source of met coal in the world. They actually rate all met coal against the coal from one of the mines in the Bowen Basin. If there is worldwide demand (which there will continue to be because there are no large scale viable alternatives) then going elsewhere will result in more carbon emissions and therefore a greater contribution to global climate change.

Gronk

Staff member
You haven't answered my question! You've just said it could be done. I'm wanting you to explain how! If you do some research you might find that it is a stretch to make such a suggestion. But tell me, how do you think it could work?

As for 'why Australia' there are obvious economic benefits but the truthful answer is that the Bowen Basin is the cleanest source of met coal in the world. They actually rate all met coal against the coal from one of the mines in the Bowen Basin. If there is worldwide demand (which there will continue to be because there are no large scale viable alternatives) then going elsewhere will result in more carbon emissions and therefore a greater contribution to global climate change.

Is it true that the Adani coal (Galilee Basin) is low joule low grade (high ash) coal only slightly better than the crap that Indonesia are peddling ?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Is it true that the Adani coal (Galilee Basin) is low joule low grade (high ash) coal only slightly better than the crap that Indonesia are peddling ?
Yep. It's thermal coal from the yet to be opened Galiliee Basin. Adani want to use it in Power Stations in India.

I, like a lot of other people struggle to see the business case but, having said that Gautam Adani is a lot richer than me and if he reckons he can do it then I wouldn't back against him. The fact that they are still here given all of the opposition they have faced is testament to their dogged determination.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Is it just me or did @Twizzle very clearly suggest that there were alternatives to using coal for steel production and then later distance himself from such claims?

Show of hands please.

strider

Post Whore
I wanna know how a marine biologist knows so much about coal? :thinking:

FFS i think someone is monnlighting a second job!

what have you got to say for yourself mr @Gary Gutful ?

Bazal

Post Whore
I wanna know how a marine biologist knows so much about coal? :thinking:

FFS i think someone is monnlighting a second job!

what have you got to say for yourself mr @Gary Gutful ?

It's actually quite a funny story. See, Gary was such a miserable bastard that he only ever got coal for Christmas, which lead to a a very boring hobby and a lifelong obsession with the stuff