What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Gravity is a constant result of mass. You and I have gravity, it's just miniscule compared to the moon, or a planet, or the last manatee Gary had relations with.

So no, it's not lowering gravity. Gravity is acting on the potential energy in the water and converting it to kinetic energy
I always thought 'potential energy' sounded like a cop out. Like just a thing to maintain the whole energy-isn't-created-or-destroyed. Oh no it wasn't created! It was already there as potential energy!

Bandwagon

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes so what is actually happening is that gravity is providing the energy? So ultimately the water's energy is not being converted, gravity's is. And this doesn't affect gravity?
320.gif

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
OK, so you have two identical waterfalls. One has a wheel halfway up and a wheel at the bottom. The other one just has a wheel at the bottom. After exiting the wheel halfway up, the water continues to fall in exactly the same direction as previously and again reaches terminal velocity. Don't the two wheels at the bottom still produce the same power? So where did the extra energy come from?
It's not that there is extra energy, but that the second waterfall with only one wheel wastes a lot more kinetic energy than the first one with two wheels. But both waterfalls waste some kinetic energy. Or it's converted at the bottom into noise energy or wet splashy energy or fun energy or something. Anything to maintain the idea that energy is transferred rather than destroyed.

Bazal

Post Whore
It's not that there is extra energy, but that the second waterfall with only one wheel wastes a lot more kinetic energy than the first one with two wheels. But both waterfalls waste some kinetic energy. Or it's converted at the bottom into noise energy or wet splashy energy or fun energy or something. Anything to maintain the idea that energy is transferred rather than destroyed.

It's only fun energy if you've got an inner tube.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I get some of what you are saying but the reef linkage is really tenuous. In fact a lot of what you are suggesting re: the GBR is horribly misguided.

Read about Reef VTS. It's a world leading shipping system that is streets ahead of what happens in other parts of the world. It is incredibly well managed and the risk associated with ships is very low.

Read the Independent Science Panel's recommendations on the GBR. While you are at it, read the GBR outlook report. These reports will highlight the key threats to the GBR. You won't find the ones that you are listing anywhere in those reports.

Don't believe everything you get told by greenies with an agenda. Yes, mining undoubtedly has environmental impacts but some of the absolute horseshit that I have seen being asserted about mining and the GBR is unbelievable.

I understand why people put that shit out there. What I don't understand is why others don't even bother to check it.
Great BRitain?

It would make sense if they said that it was gravity being converted. Gravity working less hard on the water that is already falling fast (hey, inertia) than on the water that has been slowed. And that's where the "extra" energy comes from.

Bazal

Post Whore
It would make sense if they said that it was gravity being converted. Gravity working less hard on the water that is already falling fast (hey, inertia) than on the water that has been slowed.

Gravity isn't energy you fake-dumb dumbo!

It's a force! Also a popular Superjesus song

Gravity isn't energy you fake-dumb dumbo!

It's a force! Also a popular Superjesus song
Isn't gravity energy? Or rather, doesn't it take energy to power it? How does any force exist without energy?

And it's a good song, although I'd probably rewrite the 'never thought of killing someone' line.

Bazal

Post Whore
Isn't gravity energy? Or rather, doesn't it take energy to power it? How does any force exist without energy?

And it's a good song, although I'd probably rewrite the 'never thought of killing someone' line.

I'm beginning to think that you aren't taking this seriously...

And I always thought it was 'never thought I'm killing someone'

I'm beginning to think that you aren't taking this seriously...

And I always thought it was 'never thought I'm killing someone'
I'm serious. To apply force don't you need energy?

And you might be right about the lyrics, I hope so. It's the one line that seems incongruous.

Latest posts