What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Just bought a new DAC. Topping D30. Have gone back to Apple Music as well given that they stream in lossless compared to Spotify with their compressed bullshit.

Unboxed it and set it up tonight. Sounds amazing.

To anyone who listens to music through streaming apps I urge you to consider a DAC if you don't have one already.

hindy111

Post Whore
Just bought a new DAC. Topping D30. Have gone back to Apple Music as well given that they stream in lossless compared to Spotify with their compressed bullshit.

To anyone who listens to music through streaming apps I urge you to consider a DAC if you don't have one already.

What's s DAC

Happy MEel

First Grade

Nice. I was about to get an E30 a while ago but went another direction. It’s a slippery slope the DAC journey and you could well find yourself down a rabbit hole and thousands out of pocket. I agree though, a quality DAC makes a massive difference. What is it running into?

Also consider Tidal or Qobuz as streaming services. Quality high res.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
A Marantz amp from 7-8 years ago. Not sure which one but it cost a fair bit at the time. Wharfedale Diamond speakers. Also pretty old. 9.1 I think.

Used to have an Arcam DrDock back in the day, but no-one uses ipods these days.

Also bought a Dragonfly Cobalt headphone DAC which is at the post office as we speak. Have Sennheiser Momentum headphones.

Happy MEel

First Grade
A Marantz amp from 7-8 years ago. Not sure which one but it cost a fair bit at the time. Wharfedale Diamond speakers. Also pretty old. 9.1 I think.

Also bought a Dragonfly Cobalt headphone DAC which is at the post office as we speak. Have Sennheiser Momentum headphones.
Nice. The dragonfly should make a massive difference as well to your headphone setup. How are you streaming to your amp? Airplay?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Nice. The dragonfly should make a massive difference as well to your headphone setup. How are you streaming to your amp? Airplay?
Apple phone plugged into the dac which is connected to the amp.

Is that what you are asking?

I'm not particularly techy. It took us 20 min to sort it out this evening. Couldn't work out why it wasn't working until I realised that my phone was on silent.

#Muppets

Happy MEel

First Grade
Apple phone plugged into the dac which is connected to the amp.

Is that what you are asking?

I'm not particularly techy. It took us 20 min to sort it out this evening. Couldn't work out why it wasn't working until I realised that my phone was on silent.

#Muppets
Yep, that’s what I was asking. The number of times I’ve added or changed something in my system only to find it not working is ridiculous. Frustrating as hell but have worked it out every time so far.

Direct connection like you’re doing is definitely the way to go over Airplay. You could look at a streamer next if you want so you can control your music using your phone from your listening position. Also can reduce noise that USB connections can add. Let me know what you think of the dragonfly once it arrives.

Gronk

Staff member

Agree. I stream via Tidal on a Yamaha streamer and my DAC is Musical Fidelity. Spotify is dull and lifeless compared to FLAC. I mean why would you settle for a bit rate that is less than CD ?

hindy111

Post Whore
Agree. I stream via Tidal on a Yamaha streamer and my DAC is Musical Fidelity. Spotify is dull and lifeless compared to FLAC. I mean why would you settle for a bit rate that is less than CD ?

I listen to AM RADIO so you can imagine the quality. Maybe I can build you an audio valve amp? I've only done guitar ones but I should be able to source parts. Your ears could very enhanced to heightened pleasures. Eurotic perhaps

You have a very similar set up to me (Marantz SR-5013, Diamond 9.1 9.3 etc, REL subwoofer set up largely for home theatre). I've hesitated on bothering with a DAC thus far, as I play music from either my PS3 or Nvidia Shield Pro (I recently switched to Amazon Music Unlimited which offers most tracks in HD / Ultra HD, and re-ripped my favourite CDs in FLAC format).

How are you connecting the music source, DAC, and amplifier?

I've been thinking of wasting a large amount of money on a dedicated music streamer, amp and speakers, but will probably get too lazy.

Gronk

Staff member
You have a very similar set up to me (Marantz SR-5013, Diamond 9.1 9.3 etc, REL subwoofer set up largely for home theatre). I've hesitated on bothering with a DAC thus far, as I play music from either my PS3 or Nvidia Shield Pro (I recently switched to Amazon Music Unlimited which offers most tracks in HD / Ultra HD, and re-ripped my favourite CDs in FLAC format).

How are you connecting the music source, DAC, and amplifier?

I've been thinking of wasting a large amount of money on a dedicated music streamer, amp and speakers, but will probably get too lazy.
My AMP etc is circa 2000 and will stand up to anything made today. I see no reason to upgrade ever frankly.

A good DAC however, will make a huge difference from using the home theatre receiver or a PC to decode. There is plenty of HIFI snake oil for sale out there but not when it comes to decent DAC.

The Topping that @Gary Gutful has or a brand called SMSL are both highly rated and offer big bang for your bucks.

I have a little Chord Mojo DAC that I use to listen on my Master & Dynamic headphones. The DragonFly USB dacs get huge respect too, especially for those who stream ripped flac from their PC or a NAS.

1652917240176.png

Gronk

Staff member
I listen to AM RADIO so you can imagine the quality. Maybe I can build you an audio valve amp? I've only done guitar ones but I should be able to source parts. Your ears could very enhanced to heightened pleasures. Eurotic perhaps
There is an Aussie guy that does tube amps. He is actually building a bit of a reputation. At his price point, your choice is limited to chinese imports.