What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

hindy111

Post Whore
I think its 110? .... dunno ... i mostly only watch sport and maybe the funny channel and the odd movie. Bit of a waste of money

Kayo is $25 for two people so $12.50 if can find someone to share with.
Netflix I thinks about $15. You could also add a Stan perhaps for another $15.

Gronk

Staff member
Budget is pretty much what I can convince myself it is. The Cambridge EVOs are networks streamers integrated with a pretty decent 2.1 stereo amp (either 75watts per channel or 150w per channel). So just add speakers. But you are always paying a bit for their marketing budget.

what I think i might do is f**k around with a cheap (highish spec / low features) DAC such as the Topping D10s and see if I can place it somewhere between my streamer and the AVR that will allow me use the audio from the DAC and the video output from HDMI. I figure that I can send both signals via HDMI to my TV, then connect the video via HDMI to the AVR, and run the audio via optical to the DAC, and then to the AVR via analogue RCA. The D10s can be had for $160. If that doesn't suit me I can always use it to hook up my desktop PC (Alienware R11) to the amp.

Or maybe I could just start listening to music through headphones again (in which case I'd definitely be in for the Dragonfly stuff)....but I tend to listen to audiobooks rather than music when walking. And when at home I sit in the lounge room and play music from the TV room (using it as an additional amplifier). The neighbours love it. Particularly the sub.
From left field are the KEF LS50 active wireless speakers.

So they need a power source, have built in amplifier and are compatible with apple airplay, spotify or tidal connect.

So you dont need a dac or a amp or a streamer.

They are very punchy and are highly respected.

1652962399254.jpeg

Happy MEel

First Grade
From left field are the KEF LS50 active wireless speakers.

So they need a power source, have built in amplifier and are compatible with apple airplay, spotify or tidal connect.

So you dont need a dac or a amp or a streamer.

They are very punchy and are highly respected.

View attachment 61782

Yep. Great little speakers. They’re releasing a floorstander version as well.

Kayo going to $27.50. I'm going with one of these. It's all of Kayo plus a bunch of other stuff for $1.50.

strider

Post Whore
I have Stan - got a freebie, tho runs out soon .... netflix i use bro inlaws occationally - but never particularly liked the finding of something to watch

hindy111

Post Whore
I have Stan - got a freebie, tho runs out soon .... netflix i use bro inlaws occationally - but never particularly liked the finding of something to watch

Yeah I only have netflix so parents can use it. Kayo I keep only for footy season.

I barely watch anything on TV. I find it hard to engage

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep. I started on a TRS-80, which was even slower, and less reliable. I thought I was the king of the world when I bought a floppy drive for the C64. I sold it at some point before I went to Uni.

But then I bought another one from some bloke in Villawood (the suburb, not the concentration camp) that came with about 100 'free' disks in an empty ice cream bucket. But most of them turned out to be games that basically involved you alternating the joystick (yeh the actual joystick) to make some cartoon character flog himself off. I cannot imagine who or what the bloke who sold it to me was up to.
Stroker! Great game

Happy MEel

First Grade
I actually saw them for sale for the first time yesterday. They’re going for close to $10k. That puts them around the same price as the new mid sized Dynaudio focus range. Some interesting wireless capabilities in this new range, including connecting directly with TVs. Also the first active speaker I’ve seen with Dirac room correction inbuilt. That’s a crazy amount of tech in a speaker.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
She is a marvellous resource and I hope that the dinosaurs sit the f**k down and let the adults start work.

So much waste in our lives. We are all guilty of it. In my parents day they lived simple. A lounge lasted 30yrs. You bought furniture once and kept hntill it fell apart. A TV was untill it blew up.
Now it seems people buy new things just for the style or have spare money.