What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
What a lot of people don't understand is speaker efficiency. So a 12 inch speaker that's 100db compared to one that's 95db is atleast 35% louder. Forget watts. That's just power handling.
A 12W amp with a 100db speaker would be just as loud as a 22w amp with a 95db speaker....
At home I play thru 6w champ clones running 2 x INCH. They are plenty for bedrooms. Just a little thin sounding I guess but still sweet.
People gig with 14W amps.

if you're referring to sound pressure levels in d(BA) for every 3 dB(A) you double the nosie level as the measurement is in logarithms

Although an increase of 3 dB represents a doubling of the sound pressure, an increase of about 10 dB is required before the sound subjectively appears to be twice as loud. The smallest change we can hear is about 3 dB. The subjective or perceived loudness of a sound is determined by several complex factors.

Unless you are referring to sound power levels which is a whole different animal.

hindy111

Post Whore
If my audiobook isn't loud enough I turn the volume up ffs. Who gives a shit about decibels.

I'll explain for you with a valve amp. So when you drive them they will distort. A nice natural distortion no pedals. We call it breaking vs clean headroom. It comes from the amps power tubes and also the speaker.
Having a lower decibel speaker means you'll reach breaking point earlier so if its for home use it may be a more desirable option. Plenty of players like a little dirt so you can achieve that without it being as loud.

So decibels matter in some situations.

hindy111

Post Whore
Can only Gen X and Baby Boomers afford music festivals?
Mr Noble said the continued success of Bluesfest was in part due to the older crowd it attracted.

"We are an older demographic and people under 30 statistically have less money than anybody else in our community.

"Most Australian contemporary music events are aimed at those audiences that have the least amount of money."

He said 80,000 people were expected to attend Bluesfest this year, although attendance remained 20 per cent lower than pre-COVID numbers.

According to a study commissioned by the organisers, the event brings more than $200 million into New South Wales and employed 2,100 workers this weekend in addition to 700 performers.

hindy111

Post Whore
Businesses 'shocked' at Splendour axing
Byron Bay Chamber of Commerce president Matt Williamson acknowledged young people were "thinking twice about spending".

"It wasn't a cheap festival and might not be a luxury everyone can afford," he said.

However with a strong headline act locked in, Mr Williamson thought the festival season looked promising.

"Kylie Minogue was going to be a great drawcard to get the punters back."

Splendour in the Grass gave Byron Bay businesses a much-needed boost during the quieter winter period, he said.

"There's a whole group of people that make a trip up and they stay in town and go into the restaurants, and go to the bar, and they enjoy the whole offer of what Byron's got

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'll explain for you with a valve amp. So when you drive them they will distort. A nice natural distortion no pedals. We call it breaking vs clean headroom. It comes from the amps power tubes and also the speaker.
Having a lower decibel speaker means you'll reach breaking point earlier so if its for home use it may be a more desirable option. Plenty of players like a little dirt so you can achieve that without it being as loud.

So decibels matter in some situations.
So how many clicks on my iPhone's volume button are we talking?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Byron Bay Chamber of Commerce president Matt Williamson acknowledged young people were "thinking twice about spending".

"It wasn't a cheap festival and might not be a luxury everyone can afford," he said.

However with a strong headline act locked in, Mr Williamson thought the festival season looked promising.

Splendour in the Grass gave Byron Bay businesses a much-needed boost during the quieter winter period, he said.

"There's a whole group of people that make a trip up and they stay in town and go into the restaurants, and go to the bar, and they enjoy the whole offer of what Byron's got
I lived in Byron Bay as a kid. Back then it was still full of hippies and the wealthy Sydneysiders were only just starting to move in. We used to get picked up from primary school by one of the mums (did she draw the short straw?) who was blind from drinking all day. We'd get driven back to the Railway Hotel where our mums would carry on swilling piss while we played in the park until bedtime. Everyone would get in their cars and drive home.

Gronk

Staff member

Not only that Matt, but it costs double or triple the price of the ticket face price to travel to your regional area and stay or even camp. So why bother unless it's super worth while ?