What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickyd39

Juniors
So.. I just saw on the telly that Bart Cummings is having a state funeral today.

My question is, for what? Training horses to enable gambling addicts for most of his life?

Bravo. Glad I'm picking up the tab for his funeral. :sarcasm: The TAB should be paying for it, he certainly made them enough money over the years.

(Not to disrespect the dead of course, RIP to him, but really? A state funeral? come on..)

This is messed up. He trained friggin horses, who gives a f*ck.

I also can't get my head around the fact that Victoria has a public holiday for a horse race and a public holiday the Friday before the AFL GF. :crazy::crazy:

Kornstar

Coach
Rumblings from Canberra are that Abbott wants to repatriate Christian Syrians only.

You could not make this bizzare shit up.

The mad monk's deputy said..

To be fair, ISIS are targeting Christians. Have you read some of the shit they are doing?

Gronk

Staff member
To be fair, ISIS are targeting Christians. Have you read some of the shit they are doing?

Maybe you need to get up to speed. ISIS are slaughtering Sunni muslims who significantly outnumber Abbott's preferred religion.

Kornstar

Coach
Maybe you need to get up to speed. ISIS are slaughtering Sunni muslims who significantly outnumber Abbott's preferred religion.

They are doing both are they not? This may be controversial but I know who I'd choose first too. The assimilation into our culture is much smoother.

Label me however you want but that is my opinion based on experience and where I grew up.

They are doing both are they not? This may be controversial but I know who I'd choose first too. The assimilation into our culture is much smoother.

Label me however you want but that is my opinion based on experience and where I grew up.

The Sunni side of the Street? :)

Rumblings from Canberra are that Abbott wants to repatriate Christian Syrians only.

You could not make this bizzare shit up.

The mad monk's deputy said..

Maybe you need to get up to speed, Gronk.

You realise Daesh are Sunni, right?

Sure, some Sunni would have died at the hands of Daesh but they aren't being targeted because of their orientation (and thus can't be persecuted) because they are of the same sectarian persuasion as Daesh itself.

I know that the post I wrote previously is way too complicated for your ridiculously simple mind to understand (because you are nothing more than a cliched billboard who parrots whatever the "progressive" issue of the day is) but it's all there.

You continue to show how much of a braindead, absolutely clueless moron you are.

Suitman

Post Whore

Sure, some Sunni would have died at the hands of Daesh but they aren't being targeted because of their orientation (and thus can't be persecuted) because they are of the same sectarian persuasion as Daesh itself.

I know that the post I wrote previously is way too complicated for your ridiculously simple mind to understand (because you are nothing more than a cliched billboard who parrots whatever the "progressive" issue of the day is) but it's all there.

You continue to show how much of a braindead, absolutely clueless moron you are.

Dem's fightin' words.

Suity

Dem's fightin' words.

Suity

*shrugs*

I don't know any other way than to be blunt.

All Gronk knows about the Middle East is whatever he can grab onto to spit at conservatives over. Whatever the leftoid masses post on Facebook or the ABC for him to parrot.

It's the simplest of things - Daesh cannot persecute Sunni because they are Sunni. Sunni have died at the hands of Daesh, yes, as non-targeted groups do in any conflict, but they are in no way persecuted. It is not possible.

There would even be Sunni fleeing Syria but it's not because of persecution from Daesh. From Assad? Sure, he's a Shia puppet of Shia Iran, but they're not fleeing persecution from Daesh.

The fact that he can't even get that right shows clearly, with no argument possible, that he is a blatantly ignorant moron.

He's a cliche. He's a parrot. He's so f**king clueless he could be mistaken for Alicia Silverstone.

*shrugs*

I don't know any other way than to be blunt.

All Gronk knows about the Middle East is whatever he can grab onto to spit at conservatives over. Whatever the leftoid masses post on Facebook or the ABC for him to parrot.

It's the simplest of things - Daesh cannot persecute Sunni because they are Sunni. Sunni have died at the hands of Daesh, yes, as non-targeted groups do in any conflict, but they are in no way persecuted. It is not possible.

There would even be Sunni fleeing Syria but it's not because of persecution from Daesh. From Assad? Sure, he's a Shia puppet of Shia Iran, but they're not fleeing persecution from Daesh.

The fact that he can't even get that right shows clearly, with no argument possible, that he is a blatantly ignorant moron.

He's a cliche. He's a parrot. He's so f**king clueless he could be mistaken for Alicia Silverstone.

So, what I can gather from all of this is that if you were Muslim, you'd be Shia?

Gronk

Staff member

So Sunnis are not dying at the hands of Asaad's Alawites in their 100,000's in Syria ?

And whilst ISIS claim to be some derivative of Sunnis, they are killing those sunnis who question their motives.

No need to be a bitch.

Bandwagon

Staff member
What does it matter, people are being persecuted, whether it be by ISIS or Assad, the result is real, hence they have fled.

Whether the situation is a result of western meddling or ongoing animosity between locals is also just as irrelevant, there is a need, and we can choose to respond, or rationalise reasons we should not.

If indeed, we should choose to respond, then I see no real compassion in qualifying need upon a basis of religion, pragmatism should be limited to what we can achieve, not for whom we can achieve it.

What does it matter, people are being persecuted, whether it be by ISIS or Assad, the result is real, hence they have fled.

Whether the situation is a result of western meddling or ongoing animosity between locals is also just as irrelevant, there is a need, and we can choose to respond, or rationalise reasons we should not.

If indeed, we should choose to respond, then I see no real compassion in qualifying need upon a basis of religion, pragmatism should be limited to what we can achieve, not for whom we can achieve it.

The bolded bit is very much a fair point.

I was, however, commenting on Gronk's inference that the Sunni were just as much, if not more, suffering from persecution than the Syrian Christians...at the hands of Daesh.

You see, because objecting to Abbott's preference for Christians based on the persecution they face and then bringing in Sunni as a counterpoint can only lead to what I have spelled out in my previous sentence. There is no other conclusion. And it is wrong. But there's no surprise that Gronk is wrong considering he is an ignorant fool.

If I can be an arrogant wanker for a second...? My previous post relating to the situation in the Middle East shows that I am not even close to being an ignorant fool, myself.

The second part is different, though. The more it is the result of our meddling, the more f**ked up we are and the more we need to do in response.

However, the Middle East is not a result of western meddling. They'd be killing each other anyways (Hussein gassing the Kurds shows that, as does post-Hussein Iraq and Shia-minority dominated Iran, Saudi Arabia in Yemen etc).

If there was no need for the resources of the Middle East, and excluding Israel and looking simply at the intra-Islamic conflicts, we would have every right to just walk away and let them kill themselves because, to be honest, there is nothing that anyone can ever do to stop it.

If there was no need for the resources of the Middle East, and excluding Israel and looking simply at the intra-Islamic conflicts, we would have every right to just walk away and let them kill themselves because, to be honest, there is nothing that anyone can ever do to stop it.

Yeh, well those are two pretty big hypotheticals.

Actually, no, I'd be Sunni. Specifically, a Sunni Sufi, if you are actually one of those who wish to state that there is a differnce between Sufism and standard Islam.

Fair nuff, though your disclamation of western responsibility falls a bit short. Where did Hussein get the gas from? The whole reigon has been f**ked all century by imperialistic/capitalistic influences. Otherwise we'd all give a f**k about it as much as we give a f**k what happens anywhere in Africa beyond Passport holders of western dominions.

Bandwagon

Staff member
The bolded bit is very much a fair point.

I was, however, commenting on Gronk's inference that the Sunni were just as much, if not more, suffering from persecution than the Syrian Christians...at the hands of Daesh.

You see, because objecting to Abbott's preference for Christians based on the persecution they face and then bringing in Sunni as a counterpoint can only lead to what I have spelled out in my previous sentence. There is no other conclusion. And it is wrong. But there's no surprise that Gronk is wrong considering he is an ignorant fool.

If I can be an arrogant wanker for a second...? My previous post relating to the situation in the Middle East shows that I am not even close to being an ignorant fool, myself.

The second part is different, though. The more it is the result of our meddling, the more f**ked up we are and the more we need to do in response.

However, the Middle East is not a result of western meddling. They'd be killing each other anyways (Hussein gassing the Kurds shows that, as does post-Hussein Iraq and Shia-minority dominated Iran, Saudi Arabia in Yemen etc).

"our meddling" is rather open ended, it's a bit chicken - egg for mine. As an example you use Hussein gassing the Kurds, yet prior to that he gassed the Iranians within a framework of support from the US.

However though, I agree there is likely little we can do to stop them killing each other, that is not my point.

Simply put, guilt ( or not ) over the west's handling of the middle east should not be considered a prerequisite for the level of assistance we should offer people in need.

Compassion should not be a function of guilt or obligation.

These can be dealt with as to our responsibilities and obligations long term, that however is, and should be a very separate argument

To be honest, I'm not going to put too much of an argument up against Western meddling in the Middle East.

Israel aside (because that is a very different situation) the example provided of switching to and then from Hussein is a good one.

Yes, we've f**ked our fair share up. And, yes, it has been for oil. There's no denying that.

Add on to that the way we divided the Middle East after WWI and how that is coming back to bite us in the arse.

But I'll stick to my assertion that the place would be little different if we had not, as well as my belief that getting involved in a futile conflict simply for humanitarian reasons is worthless.

There's too much history there for our involvement to change. It's always been like it is now and when their resources are gone and they are no longer valuable to us it will continue on in the same manner.

Gronk

Staff member
Wondering if the Abbott cheer squad saw his stellar performance on 7:30 Report last night.

Anyone old enough to remember Joh Bjelke-Petersen ? He'd get asked a question about one thing and he'd change the topic to another. Abbott last night just spewed out his slogans and ignored the questions.

COd4IbzVAAAYetJ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.