What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kornstar

Coach
I'm not touching that.. no way, way too hot a topic.

I hope things work out for them, from what I've seen it's a terrible situation. That's all I'll say about it.

You'll see way worse on reddit. It's very sad of course but I have seen that photo (and video footage) on many news shows today and articles.

strider

Post Whore
I really don't understand what is happening in the middle east .... who is the enemy? why are they going after people?

strider

Post Whore
ISIS, ISIL or IS. Whatever you want to call them.

yeah I know them - but I don't understand why and what they have against the people there

I know they hate the usual suspects (USA, the west in general, etc) - but what do they have against the people in the region they are slaughtering?

yeah I know them - but I don't understand why and what they have against the people there

I know they hate the usual suspects (USA, the west in general, etc) - but what do they have against the people in the region they are slaughtering?

Well, it really is only partly in response to the US/West etc. Labelling it as that is just lazy.

A lot of it is Sunni vs. Shia.

Iran and Iraq are, in essence, the two Shia states in the Middle East and they are surrounded by Sunni states. Trust me, these guys (Sunni and Shia) hate each other just as much, if not more, than "the West".

Iraq is a majority Shia state but Hussein was a Sunni and his minority group rules over the Shia and Kurds with an iron fist. Hussein gets wiped out and the majority Shia come back into power in the new, democratic government.

So do they put their previous oppression aside and forge Iraq into a new, united state with a marshmallow and rainbow future? No, they turn around and slap the Sunni in response to being oppressed by them for the previous 30-40 years.

Daesh is a Sunni uprising, backed largely by those who were previously part of Hussein's minority dictatorship and who want to regain control of the land.

This is where Syria comes in. Syria is the reverse of Iraq - a majority Sunni state ruled over by a Shia minority (Assad being the Shia puppet of the Shia Iranians), so Daesh can cross the Iraq/Syria border and find an oppressed Sunni majority ally.

Shitfight ensues.

The rest of the Middle East aren't going to do much about it - they're Sunni, too, just like Daesh and the majority, oppressed Syrians. So they put in token efforts so that the US doesn't get the shits but they don't really commit.

They also use the chaos to push their own, largely Sunni-based, agendas.

Turkey have a southern border with the north of Syria. That Turkish/Syrian border is populated by the third ethno-religious group of the region, the Kurds (who also live in the northern part of Iraq, and they were hammered by Hussein, too, because everyone f**king hates the Kurds). So, under the guise of "helping fight Daesh", Turkey smack northern Syria, but really they just want to smack the Kurds.

Similar with Saudia Arabia. They have a puppet Sunni regime in Yemen, so they're waging their own shitfight amidst the chaos against the third group there, the Houthi. Yemen has a f**kload of oil but the Saudis don't want Yemen becoming rich and independent cause then they could do something with that oil and the Saudis place at the top of the oil food chain would come under threat. So they continually f**k with Yemen and take the opportunity of Daeshian chaos to smack the Houthi around.

Iran are in the fight for two reasons - the Shia/Sunni divide (Iran are Shia whereas Daesh are Sunni) but also because they see the opportunity to expand their hegemony, possibly by getting influence with the now dominant Shia faction in Iraq. This is not good for anyone...well, except maybe the Iranians...

It's all a big shitfight based around ethno-religious variances that go back over a thousand years. Everyone has their "side" and plenty have puppets (Iran has Hezbollah and Syria, for example, while the Saudis have Yemen)

Just in case anyone wants a distinction between Sunni and Shia...

In essence, both are theocracies but they have a differing opinion on how their leader, or Caliph, is chosen.

Sunni - Kind of the democratic version of Islam. While this isn't exactly true, a simple version is their leaders are kind of "elected" in the same way the Pope is - by religious leaders choosing him.

Shia - Kind of like the monarchy of Islam. They believe the Caliph is descended through the bloodlines of Mohammed and there is no "election".

Gronk

Staff member
We made the New York Times today. We famous ...
Australia’s Brutal Treatment of Migrants
By THE EDITORIAL BOARDSEPT. 3, 2015

Some European officials may be tempted to adopt the hard-line approach Australia has used to stem a similar tide of migrants. That would be unconscionable.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has overseen a ruthlessly effective effort to stop boats packed with migrants, many of them refugees, from reaching Australia’s shores. His policies have been inhumane, of dubious legality and strikingly at odds with the country’s tradition of welcoming people fleeing persecution and war.

Since 2013, Australia has deployed its navy to turn back boats with migrants, including asylum seekers, before they could get close to its shores. Military personnel force vessels carrying people from Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Eritrea and other conflict-roiled nations toward Indonesia, where most of the journeys begin. A boat captain recently reported that Australian authorities paid him $30,000 to turn back. If true, that account, which the Australian government has not disputed, would represent a violation of international laws designed to prevent human smuggling and protect asylum seekers.

Those who have not been turned back are held at detention centers run by private contractors on nearby islands, including the tiny nation of Nauru. A report this week by an Australian Senate committee portrayed the Nauru center as a purgatory where children are sexually abused, guards give detainees marijuana in exchange for sex and some asylum seekers are so desperate that they stitch their lips shut in an act of protest. Instead of stopping the abuses, the Australian government has sought to hide them from the world.

The Border Force Act, which took effect July 1, makes it a crime punishable by a two-year prison sentence for employees at detention camps to discuss the conditions there publicly. Australia and Nauru, which depends heavily on Australian foreign aid, have gone to great lengths to keep international journalists from gaining access to the detention center, in which more than 2,200 people have been held since 2012. Last year, Nauru raised the fee it charges for journalists’ visas from $200 to roughly $8,000; applicants who are turned down are not given refunds.

Scores of people who have worked at the camp have become whistle-blowers. More than 40, including medical personnel and social workers, wrote a public letter to senior government officials in July saying they would rather risk arrest than stay quiet. “If we witness child abuse in Australia we are legally obliged to report it to child protection authorities,” they wrote. “If we witness child abuse in detention centers, we can go to prison for attempting to advocate for them effectively.

European officials have traveled to Australia on fact-finding missions recently. Mr. Abbott, who argues that aggressively intercepting the boats saves lives, has urged European governments to follow his model, and some European leaders seem so inclined.

“The Australian model may seem attractive to politicians,” said Leonard Doyle, a spokesman for the International Organization for Migration. “Politicians love fences, but what fences do is create a market for smugglers and major humanitarian problems.”

The world’s war zones are all but certain to continue to churn out an extraordinary number of refugees and economic migrants in the years ahead. Those people understandably will head to the most prosperous nations, hoping to rebuild their lives. It is inexcusable that some find themselves today in situations that are more hopeless and degrading than the ones that prompted them to flee.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/03/o...tment-of-migrants.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Interesting read hj.

So i's there a jihad between all the factions or only against the west

Well, you don't generally hear the term jihad used when Muslims are facing off against Muslims.

It is, in effect, a word used for impact. Daesh know what effect it has (as have previous organisations such as al'Qaeda) so it is used to provoke a response and as part of their publicity campaign.

I guess that technically it can be true in both instances.

Gronk

Staff member
C/- Canberra Times

COD4pXpVAAABqqI.jpg:large

Gronk

Staff member
Dear Tony

Refugees are not terrorists.

Fraser welcomed 56,000 Vietnamese refugees. Hawke allowed 42,000 Chinese students to stay.

Time to man up merkin.

BTW wonderful ad by UWS.

[youtube]buA3tsGnp2s[/youtube]

ash411

Bench
So.. I just saw on the telly that Bart Cummings is having a state funeral today.

My question is, for what? Training horses to enable gambling addicts for most of his life?

Bravo. Glad I'm picking up the tab for his funeral. :sarcasm: The TAB should be paying for it, he certainly made them enough money over the years.

(Not to disrespect the dead of course, RIP to him, but really? A state funeral? come on..)

Avenger

Immortal
When I go I want a state funeral. I can guarantee I have helped more people than Bart Cummings. I agree it is bullshit. Did Fred Hollows have one? Can't wait until the Australian of the year. Maybe Nicole Kidman can get it again. She has helped heaps of people.

Kornstar

Coach
So.. I just saw on the telly that Bart Cummings is having a state funeral today.

My question is, for what? Training horses to enable gambling addicts for most of his life?

Bravo. Glad I'm picking up the tab for his funeral. :sarcasm: The TAB should be paying for it, he certainly made them enough money over the years.

(Not to disrespect the dead of course, RIP to him, but really? A state funeral? come on..)

This world certainly has itself upside down and back to front.

Maybe not being a gambler or remotely into horse racing could be a reason why it baffles me. Sure quite the achievements he has but state funeral? Not sure about that.

This world certainly has itself upside down and back to front.

Maybe not being a gambler or remotely into horse racing could be a reason why it baffles me. Sure quite the achievements he has but state funeral? Not sure about that.

especially when you consider he started out in south australia and moved from there to victoria then on to nsw is he having 3 state funerals?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_Cummings

Gronk

Staff member
Rumblings from Canberra are that Abbott wants to repatriate Christian Syrians only.

You could not make this bizzare shit up.

The mad monk's deputy said..

Abetz addressed other issues. He told reporters he wants Christians prioritised in the refugee intake from Syria because Christians are the most persecuted group in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.