What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Penrith games

MugaB

Coach
Not really the point I was trying to make but fair play to you I guess, you always seem able to snatch the negative from a positive. Sorry, for simply expressing the view he was a likeable character.
Hahaha panda found a sadder panda hahahaha

Pomoz

Bench
Pretty much this.
He is a really nice guy that couldn't command authority.
He has a good tactical brain that can read a play better than most people. Despite this, he still did some odd shit.
He wows club bosses with his initial pitch. Very enthusiastic and well prepared.

It got to the stage here players were interfering with team selections of where they wanted to play. And telling him how they want to train.
He just wanted to be their friend. You can't have that for a head coach.
That makes so much sense. When you look at coaches who are extremely successful like Bennett, Hasler, Bellamy and Robinson you can see they aren’t people to be messed with. They aren’t bastards, people won’t hang around and follow bastards, they give their players support, loyalty and respect. In return they expect commitment, effort and integrity. But if you don’t meet their standards then they will tell you and act accordingly.

All the best leaders I worked for had that bit of grit in the Oyster that formed the Pearl. One of those leaders sadly passed away recently. He was a Sgt Major and his nickname was “Biff”. There is no irony in that nickname, he did what it said on the tin and a only a fool would say “Sir, why do they call you Biff?”. He was big geezer too and a hardened airborne veteran. On Facebook, many posted memories of the great man in honor of his passing. The stories about him ran for pages and pages. So many revealed how they were “shit scared of him” but realised he always had their best interest at heart. There was a story about how he saved somebody from court martial by covering up their drunken indiscretion and dealing with it by punching them instead (not very PC, but highly effective).

I remembered the fact that as a young soldier I messed up (just being a stupid idiot, like you are when you are 18) and he gave me a bollocking so fierce I was trembling in anticipation of the punch I thought I was going to get. He finished his tirade with “lad, think about what you are doing next time”, he tapped his head in a gesture of “use your brain” and then said “now f**k off”. I left his presence in Charlie Staines like speed. I got a few more bollockings from him, but never one like that and when it counted, he helped me. I would have followed him anywhere and so it would seem, would many others. He didn’t want to be liked, he wanted respect and he gave it to you in return.

When I watch Trent Barrett, I wonder if he has the “grit” to make the Pearl. He won’t succeed without it.

Original Name

Juniors
It's funny the amount of people here shitting on Elliot. Some of these people were probably the same people who defended him on Panthers Interactive back in the day. I knew he was a dud after the 1st year and got attacked relentlessly for it.

The bloke is a complete conman. He sounds smart, tells you everything you want to hear but isn't competent when it is time to do the work and deliver. It took someone who DOES know his shit, and who is Competent to see straight threw him. Sacking Elliot is the best thing Gus ever did for us.
Plenty of people who have shown themselves to be not head coaching in first grade but are gun assistant coaches. Steve Kearney is held in high regard at the Storm for the work he did as an assistant but he was head coach at the Warriors for ages and he did some dog shit stuff there. Used RTS like we used Edwards last year. Just parked him on the right edge and he barely got any ball. Their one great player at the time under Kearney's game plan they barely used him.

On a deep level I know jack shit about footy but even I can see you want RTS copying the style Gutho plays. You coach to the strengths of your players. In particular your best players.

I don't expect much out of the Dragons but tbf to Elliot he sounds like he suits the role of an assistant coach well. You want to be friends with players as an assistant and he sounds like he's naturally good at it. Will be good for Hook who's big problem is that sort of thing.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Coaching is a tough job. Man management is obviously a huge part but you can’t just be a friendly nice guy about it and you can’t just a be a crazy hard ass.

You can be great at tactics and strategy and all the footy stuff but if the players don’t like and fear you then it’s not going to work out.

chrisD

Coach
Heard Hook on radio say the Dragons are heading to NQ confident because, you know, they did everything but win the Sharks game.

He makes it hard to ignore him.

GongPanther

Referee
Amazing what playing for your footballing future can do.

Matty could have his best year ever this season, but he turns 30 mid season, given his dodgy hamstrings I can’t see the Sharks re-signing him and I don’t see another NRL club taking a punt on him. Anyway he has probably earned more on his four year deal with the Sharks than most earn in there working lifetime so no need to feel sorry for him if he has to play out his remaining years in far less money in the ESL.
Moylan to the Dogs? :)

GongPanther

Referee
Yeah Good on ya. Gosh I wish PI was still up so I could go back to some of those old posts and roast some fools in here.

I had SOME backup in that forum but the vast majority were either Panther sycophants where the club could 'do no wrong' (we have a few of these idiots in here; 'are you even a fan' types) or were the more moderate types of - Just Give Elliot a chance yadda yadda.

After his 1st contract was close to up that forum was still 50/50 on extending for a further 2 years from his initial 3. Bloody madness. Proud to say I called it pretty much earlier than anyone else in there - and I was constantly hounded at the time.
You shouldn't take forums so personally if ppl disagree with you. So what if your wrong or if you're right, as the whole point of a forum is having a discussion.

When I login every day, I can't remember what the fook I was gibbering about the day before, not to mention anyone else's commentary.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Hope its raining like this Saturday. Nathan's kicking alone wins against any side in the comp. Maybe only Adam Reynolds could keep it close

franklin2323

Immortal
They'll be better with grant. Also the rain has messed them up because their strategy is blitzkrieg overwhelming areas on the field with numbers and speed.

Yeah but these conditions are showimg their lack of kicking game and the weak bench

murraymob

Coach
The rain is brining the sides closer .On a dry day the eels struggle in the wet the storm lose a lot of the up tempo play.We need to respect the dogs in the wet it will bring them closer
.I think if we play a grinding game up the middle we win

betcats

Referee
Yep they will, kafusi will be gone and I reckon they’ll be carrying a couple knocks. Our left side up against a fill in backrower, Remis smith and Jennings will be the way to go.

Latest posts