What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nooo!

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Don't let the door hit you on the way out Joel.

The day the Brisbane Broncos hopes and dreams lies with a tool like Joel Clinton is the day I hand in my season ticket. Give me a break. We are far from screwed if we lose this guy. Sure it will be another hit to our stocks, though I am confident we will/can find a quality replacement before the first game of the pre-season.

DeeJ

Bench
Hmm I hope this is false. He had a great season for us this year and I can see him going well next year if he sticks around.

I wouldn't blame him for wanting to go, the Broncos screwed him with that $50,000 fine for doing nothing.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Hmm I hope this is false. He had a great season for us this year and I can see him going well next year if he sticks around.

I wouldn't blame him for wanting to go, the Broncos screwed him with that $50,000 fine for doing nothing.

Quite true. He has an opportunity to build on his best season with the club where he won some respect with all and sundry. I would like to see him stick around though I ain't going lose sleep over it if he leaves.

DeeJ

Bench
He will be a big loss. We don't have another starting prop forward and not one with Clinton's experience.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
He will be a big loss. We don't have another starting prop forward and not one with Clinton's experience.

No bigger than the other quality players we have lost over the past 3 or 4 seasons. We will cover him if need be. Let's get a grip. Clinton is replaceable. Chop it up any way you like. The guy can be replaced. Sure he is a veteran prop now with rep experience, though he his career is up until recently was on a downward spiral as far as I am concerned.

The QLD Cup will offer up some alternatives, as will some of our juniors. We then have the 'free agent' market or alternatively looking abroad.

Smiley

Bench
Don't expect much for next season.

I'm just hoping we sneak into the finals to keep our record and we unearth some talent.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
I simply can't understand how Joel Clintons' imminent departure can hurt us. Best thing to happen and should have shelved him when we had the chance after "the girlie incident". Solid at best, 275k is way over his worth. Next year will be a struggle, but not because of this. The loss of Dave Taylor and Special K is why, they were class Bronco prodigies. Clinton and next hopefully P.J Marsh will simply free up salary cap room for our recruitment team to hopefully get things back on track at our proud club. Good luck to Joel in the UK but don't think he was ever a good fit at the Broncos.

Dazzat

First Grade
A top front row consisting of Nick Kenny and Josh Maguire with possibly a couple of last year's Under 20's on the bench? Ohhh, then we have Scott Anderson ...?

I know Clinton isn't Webke or Civ, but it's not as if we can be picky at the moment.

On another note, why the heck does anyone sign a contract any more?

Broncodr01d

Juniors
A top front row consisting of Nick Kenny and Josh Maguire with possibly a couple of last year's Under 20's on the bench? Ohhh, then we have Scott Anderson ...?

I know Clinton isn't Webke or Civ, but it's not as if we can be picky at the moment.

On another note, why the heck does anyone sign a contract any more?

Give me 2 or 3 hungry blokes at prop looking to make a name for themselves as opposed to a metro-sexual prop who has plateaued and taking up a big chunk of our salary cap.

Dazzat

First Grade
Give me 2 or 3 hungry blokes at prop looking to make a name for themselves as opposed to a metro-sexual prop who has plateaued and taking up a big chunk of our salary cap.

Give me the name of one prop under 22-23 years of age who has made significant impact in the competition during the last two years. You'll be struggling. Even someone of Dave Taylor's physical stature didn't "make a name for himself" as a prop, but as a centre (in reality). He still got bent back when he took it up the middle.

There is no beating experience when it comes to prop forward play ... and with Clinton going we'll have almost none.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Give me the name of one prop under 22-23 years of age who has made significant impact in the competition during the last two years. You'll be struggling. Even someone of Dave Taylor's physical stature didn't "make a name for himself" as a prop, but as a centre (in reality). He still got bent back when he took it up the middle.

There is no beating experience when it comes to prop forward play ... and with Clinton going we'll have almost none.

A valid point though my position ain't changing given we're talking about Joel Freaking Clinton. If he moves on, no problem, we will make do with what we have and ask Nick Kenny to lead the way with Thaiday, Parker and co.

beads6

First Grade
Sure Clinton hasn't lived up to the hype but he was not too bad and I think got treated poorly by the club so I hope he does well in ENgland. We will struggle up front against the bigger packs next season but I expect Sims to play alot of Front row and if he fires up we will do ok.

Dazzat

First Grade
Injury also cruelled Clinton in his two years at the club ... and that severely affected his consistency. I am the first to admit he hasn't delivered on his contract value, but this year could have been the year when he played injury free.

I am disappointed that we let go, and haven't developed, so many fringe players - the likes of Sweeney and Ah Mah (spelling) and a host of other prop forwards seem to have come and gone over recent years.

I don't think having multiple feeder clubs is working. When Toowoomba was the sole feeder club more players transitioned from Queensland Cup to first grade ... now it's becoming rarer.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I don't think some of you guys understand the importance of a strong front row. What we needed to do was get another Joel Clinton, not f**king get rid of one.

What if Nick Kenny gets injured again next season? Do you expect to rely upon Ashton Sims (an inconsistent 2nd rower come prop) and Josh McGuire (Talented he is but very inexperienced) to lead the way up the middle with blokes like Hala and Anderson coming off the bench? Or playing Parker/Thaiday out of position? We will get rolled by every other pack in the NRL.

Heres hoping we have someone up our sleeve ready to sign.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Injury also cruelled Clinton in his two years at the club ... and that severely affected his consistency. I am the first to admit he hasn't delivered on his contract value, but this year could have been the year when he played injury free.

I am disappointed that we let go, and haven't developed, so many fringe players - the likes of Sweeney and Ah Mah (spelling) and a host of other prop forwards seem to have come and gone over recent years.

I don't think having multiple feeder clubs is working. When Toowoomba was the sole feeder club more players transitioned from Queensland Cup to first grade ... now it's becoming rarer.

As am I.

Someone at our club has to be held accountable for this. Maybe that problem is out the door now? Who knows. The quality of player not retained over the past 3-5 seasons is poor. Once upon a time we had players taking unders to remain with our club. Not so much anymore. Melbourne seem to be the club in that position and rightfully so.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
I don't think some of you guys understand the importance of a strong front row. What we needed to do was get another Joel Clinton, not f**king get rid of one.

What if Nick Kenny gets injured again next season? Do you expect to rely upon Ashton Sims (an inconsistent 2nd rower come prop) and Josh McGuire (Talented he is but very inexperienced) to lead the way up the middle with blokes like Hala and Anderson coming off the bench? Or playing Parker/Thaiday out of position? We will get rolled by every other pack in the NRL.

Heres hoping we have someone up our sleeve ready to sign.

Fully understand the importance of a strong front row. All Brisbane fans have seen it's importance first hand e.g. The arrival of Lazarus, the emergence of Webcke and Petero.

With all that said, I think some are valuing Clinton a little too highly. Clinton is not someone that if we do lose him, our chances of not winning rise by a massive %. Just my opinion. Clinton has survived this long in the league on his early reputation alone. Yes, he come on at times last season, though tell me the last time he put together solid back-to-back seasons?

The good news for us is we should know where stand before the New Year thus giving us time to come up with a quality replacement.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Fully understand the importance of a strong front row. All Brisbane fans have seen it's importance first hand e.g. The arrival of Lazarus, the emergence of Webcke and Petero.

With all that said, I think some are valuing Clinton a little too highly. Clinton is not someone that if we do lose him, our chances of not winning rise by a massive %. Just my opinion. Clinton has survived this long in the league on his early reputation alone. Yes, he come on at times last season, though tell me the last time he put together solid back-to-back seasons?

The good news for us is we should know where stand before the New Year thus giving us time to come up with a quality replacement.

I know that Clinton isn't the best player around but he added so much to our front row this year. In our current situation I think it will hurt our chances of making the final next season as we simply won't be able to go head to head with most other Packs in the NRL. We will have to pull something out our arse if we are going to go far next year(if we don't replace Clinton).

Broncodr01d

Juniors
I know that Clinton isn't the best player around but he added so much to our front row this year. In our current situation I think it will hurt our chances of making the final next season as we simply won't be able to go head to head with most other Packs in the NRL. We will have to pull something out our arse if we are going to go far next year(if we don't replace Clinton).

As I've said, he came on last season and I agree, he did add to the pack. With that said, it's not time to panic if we lose him. I have faith in Henjak in covering ourselves if we're down another forward.

It will be an intesting story as we get deeper in to the pre-season.

Latest posts