What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nooo!

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I don't think having multiple feeder clubs is working. When Toowoomba was the sole feeder club more players transitioned from Queensland Cup to first grade ... now it's becoming rarer.

Good call, it was heaps better when it was just the Clydesdales. The one finger in every basket approach just doesn't seem to be working.

I don't rate Clinton highly but we need him as we simply don't have anyone else.

Dazzat

First Grade
Good call, it was heaps better when it was just the Clydesdales. The one finger in every basket approach just doesn't seem to be working.

I don't rate Clinton highly but we need him as we simply don't have anyone else.

Take Sweeney for example. Killed it in Queensland Cup in 2008. Then gets a contract with the Broncos, and at some stages through the year was playing off the bench for the Burleigh Bears.

Players need to see a plain "career path" to stay motivated.

My feeling is they get shovelled off to a number of clubs in the Queensland Cup, with all different club cultures, coaches, coaching methods and varying degrees of talent ... and there's limited support coming from the Mothership Broncos. I don't think it's sustainable.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
I have to seriously laugh at the suggestion that Joel Clintons' imminent departure will have any kind of bearing on our 2010 prospects. As I have said b4 the departure of Taylor and Special K and a lack of quality recruitment sealed our fate as "struggling to make the 8" team in 2010. This will only be temporary if the use of funds from the clear out of Clinton, Marsh, Michaels is spent wisely 4 the 2011 season. I simply have to believe Cullen, Henjak, Nolan and co. have a bigger vision in regards 2 our playing roster with Lockys' time drawing nearer to a close. A strong new direction will be needed as I really like Wallace as a player but I have reservations as to him steering us around completely on a 26 round basis. I'm probably dreaming but geez "Jonathon Thurston" would look bloody great in Bronco gear and could readily use his maroon origin headgear more often ! We definately need some quality to add to the front row and 1 more backrower. Is Setu going to the Dogs or is that BS going on in Rleagueforums.com.au ?

Dazzat

First Grade
I simply have to believe Cullen, Henjak, Nolan and co. have a bigger vision in regards 2 our playing roster with Lockys' time drawing nearer to a close. A strong new direction will be needed as I really like Wallace as a player but I have reservations as to him steering us around completely on a 26 round basis. I'm probably dreaming but geez "Jonathon Thurston" would look bloody great in Bronco gear and could readily use his maroon origin headgear more often !

Yeah ... the Broncos and every other club wants Thurston. Who wouldn't, but I think we need to get past this, "we need the best player in the world if we're going to win the competition" stuff. It doesn't work with the salary cap ... pouring the lions' share of money into one player.

I think you forget Wallace's age. He's still only young, and I believe only in his fourth year of first grade. He's quality through and through, and I reckon we'll see him come of age in 2011.

Fans are totally justified to be concerned about Clinton's departure. It's not so much about his quality of play, but player depth. I'd estimate that clubs use on average seven to eight props a year. We'll be starting with a second rate (apologies Nick Kenny) and highly inexperienced front row. When the inevitable injuries hit, who we gunna call? Clinton's leaving compromises our depth which was already rock bottom.

bfoord

Juniors
At this stage Clinton will still be a Bronco next year. he hasn't even asked for a release next year yet

renouf

Juniors
I agree we should be looking to pickup Mason.. he would do fine playing outside of Lockyer.

hellteam

First Grade
At least if this is true we will have 1-2 less handling errors at the end of each game next year.

renouf

Juniors
You Good Sir, Are an Idiot! LOL But seriously? Mason? My God. I hope you were high when you posted that.:crazy:

Who else do we have dipsh*t? In case you haven't noticed we're a little light on first grade standard forwards.. Mason isn't over the hill just yet.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I would rather use our U20s than sign Mason as a prop. Put all the baggage that he brings asside, I think he could be good running wide off Locky. As a prop... He is useless IMO.

broncos70

Juniors
mason had a great year as a club player this year, its ashame all his media followers are gone and dont talk him up anymore..he was pretty much the roosters best forward along with fitzy in a beaten side every week..i wouldnt mind picking mason up for a year or two until we develop our other young forwards.he's better than our other options atm. only problem with him is his attitude, but i think he'll be thankful if he's given a chance at another club and he'll play well

Dazzat

First Grade
Mason ... handicapped last season recovering from knee surgery.

Handicapped entire career ... needs attitude replacement surgery.

But yeah ... Broncs could so worse than sign another first grade quality forward if he comes cheap. Heck, try a one-year contract. Got nothing to loose with the money freed-up IF Clinton leaves.

blueballs

Juniors
clinton is gone which is a shame he was good for the young front rowers coming through, broncos fans will have to rely on the 20,s talent cause there is bhugger all in the q cup

johnnyg

Juniors
Who else do we have dipsh*t? In case you haven't noticed we're a little light on first grade standard forwards.. Mason isn't over the hill just yet.

I never said Mason was over the hill, however the attitude he would bring would be disgraceful. And as for being a forward? Come on, watch him play and you can count the number of Hit up's and tackles he does on 1 hand. He has to be the biggest waste of size in the game. MIA all the time, then, he gets the ball about 5 meters from the try line with a full head of steam and runs over the top of a Matty Bowen or Preston Campbell and suddenly he's a top player and awesome forward.

No thanks, we have enough 2nd rowers.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
I 4 one would be ashamed if we even entertained bringing in Mason to poison our club ! Rather start our 20s' props and come dead last than sell our soul to the devil !

Broncodr01d

Juniors
I 4 one would be ashamed if we even entertained bringing in Mason to poison our club ! Rather start our 20s' props and come dead last than sell our soul to the devil !

Geezus, calm down - Big Willie Mason ain't that freaking bad. Yes he has made some bad decisions off the field (haven't we all?) though it's not liked he has glassed his missus for example.

As for Willie Mason in a Brisbane jersey, I don't think it will happen.

If it did, how would I react? I would welcome it. I think Mason has a lot of respect for our captain and would be keen to answer a few critics (the latter a big motivator for him wherever he signs/plays). His size would be welcomed too.

I think he will be in Melbourne personally. Out of the spotlight and part of the NRL's best team.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
I'm all 4 giving people a second chance but not a ttthhhooouuusssaaannnddd chances. If it looks like a rat, smells like a rat and acts like a rat............ mate it's a RAT ! Bon Voiage Mason.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
I'm all 4 giving people a second chance but not a ttthhhooouuusssaaannnddd chances. If it looks like a rat, smells like a rat and acts like a rat............ mate it's a RAT ! Bon Voiage Mason.

What has Mason done wrong THIS time?

Willie Mason is being forced from the club that he is contracted to for next season as far as I can tell and read. Willie Mason and his management would know he is on his last legs in terms of "chances", though he is not in the wrong in any way, shape or form when looking at his current situation.

What we have is a Dictator coach in Smith coming in and setting things up his way. Smith will want his personnel, his staff and players not fitting in with his plans (e.g. Mason, in other recent times Clint Newton) are going to be shipped out no questions asked.

Season 2009 wasn't Mason's best, BUT, he, like Darren Lockyer, was coming back from a pretty serious injury. Lockyer came on strong late in the season, to be fair, Mason found some of that old form and will be stronger for the run last season. His new employer will get a fit, hungry and fired up Mason. The type of Mason that burst on to the scene will be similar to the 2010 version I think we will see. Mark my words. His pride and ego has taken a battering, I think he will come up big next season.

Dazzat

First Grade
What has Mason done wrong THIS time?

Willie Mason is being forced from the club that he is contracted to for next season as far as I can tell and read. Willie Mason and his management would know he is on his last legs in terms of "chances", though he is not in the wrong in any way, shape or form when looking at his current situation.

What we have is a Dictator coach in Smith coming in and setting things up his way. Smith will want his personnel, his staff and players not fitting in with his plans (e.g. Mason, in other recent times Clint Newton) are going to be shipped out no questions asked.

Season 2009 wasn't Mason's best, BUT, he, like Darren Lockyer, was coming back from a pretty serious injury. Lockyer came on strong late in the season, to be fair, Mason found some of that old form and will be stronger for the run last season. His new employer will get a fit, hungry and fired up Mason. The type of Mason that burst on to the scene will be similar to the 2010 version I think we will see. Mark my words. His pride and ego has taken a battering, I think he will come up big next season.

I have been a HUGE critic of Mason's in the past ... in fact some of my best Origin jokes have been at his expense. You know ... lots of 'missing in action' piss takes.

But I totally agree with your post. Some people take time to mature physically, and some take time to mature between the ears. Recovering from knee surgery and then being shafted by his club will be a huge wake up call for someone like Mason ... he's looking down the barrell of a huge pay cut. The ego will be severely dented.

But besides all that, when you have a rotation of front rowers like Brisbane has at the moment, you'll settle for anything that's half descent. I can't see any problem with signing Mason to a one year deal using the funds from Clinton's release (if he goes).