What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norm Provan RIP

TruSaint

Referee
The Norm Provan Grandstand

The Immortal Norm Provan passed away on 13 October, 2021.

"Provan played a crucial role in St George's 'Never Before, Never Again' era, playing part in 10 of the club's 11 successive grand final victories (1956-65), the latter five of which he acted as captain-coach. The aftermath of St George's 1963 win over Western Suburbs saw one of Australia's most memorable sporting images captured, now known as 'The Gladiators', with Provan embracing then Magpies captain Arthur Summons.A sculptured trophy of this special moment has been awarded to the victorious grand final team since 1982, now known as the 'Provan Summons' Trophy." - St.George-Illawarra Dragons

The grandstand at Kogarah Jubilee has never been named after anyone. It should be named after the Immortal Norm Provan. Let's make this happen Georges River Council!

I am seeking your support and calling on you to sign this petition which will be presented to the General Manager of Georges River Council. Thanks for your support.

(Petition authorised by Lachlan McLean - PO Box 765, Kogarah, 1485. 0419 555 863)

MORE:

GET

IT

DONE!

Mojo

Bench
I was born in Kogarah Hospital in 1957. Lived and went to school in Bexley. Norm Provan himself sold me my first footy when I wasn‘t tall enough to see over the counter. I still remember the huge guy taking all the time needed to talk to me about how to lace it and polish it (they were made from leather with inflatable bladders inside back then!). I wore the RedV throughout my childhood. It’s in my genes. I still remember him. What a great guy!

Last edited:

RED73V

Juniors
FBnrovkVgAYkq5a
What a great moment in time with one of the GREATS this is for Ben Hornby. As a Dragons tragic I am not old enough to have seen the Legend of Provan play, even though I have been following the Dragons for 40 + years. My deepest condolences to all of his closest people in life ❤️. He is one of the GREATEST WE WILL EVER SEE CAUSE HE WORE THE RED V .

SEAT 1A

Bench

All I can do is to imagine what is was like to follow our great club back then.
For those who saw him play and support the mighty Saints at that time, as they say "never before never again".

I never saw "Sticks" play or met the great man however, by those words, it tells me what he was made of, quality.

I know it's a different time know however, a few more people like Norm would be nice.

Go the mighty Dragons.

TruSaint

Referee
All I can do is to imagine what is was like to follow our great club back then.
For those who saw him play and support the mighty Saints at that time, as they say "never before never again".

I never saw "Sticks" play or met the great man however, by those words, it tells me what he was made of, quality.

I know it's a different time know however, a few more people like Norm would be nice.

Go the mighty Dragons.

Yes mate.
Well said.

denis preston

First Grade
If i can be mischievous , how about the Provan cup fought between Dragons v his junior club cronulla SUTHERLAND ! Can see some here this morning spewing out their cornflakes for any acknowledgement that Norm was born & bread from that area !

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Norm Provan Grandstand

The Immortal Norm Provan passed away on 13 October, 2021.

"Provan played a crucial role in St George's 'Never Before, Never Again' era, playing part in 10 of the club's 11 successive grand final victories (1956-65), the latter five of which he acted as captain-coach. The aftermath of St George's 1963 win over Western Suburbs saw one of Australia's most memorable sporting images captured, now known as 'The Gladiators', with Provan embracing then Magpies captain Arthur Summons.A sculptured trophy of this special moment has been awarded to the victorious grand final team since 1982, now known as the 'Provan Summons' Trophy." - St.George-Illawarra Dragons

The grandstand at Kogarah Jubilee has never been named after anyone. It should be named after the Immortal Norm Provan. Let's make this happen Georges River Council!

I am seeking your support and calling on you to sign this petition which will be presented to the General Manager of Georges River Council. Thanks for your support.

(Petition authorised by Lachlan McLean - PO Box 765, Kogarah, 1485. 0419 555 863)

MORE:
It has happened. Well done Lachlan. Council votes unanimously to name Grandstand at Kogarah Jubilee to honour Norm Provan.

TruSaint

Referee

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Edit :- Shameful its not on the Clubs website already.
It hit the news late yesterday afternoon. Do they work on a Saturday? Perhaps our contacts here are little more committed. It's a credit to R2K that it happened at all.

It has been in the proposal stage since last October.

The proposal was framed in a Mayoral Minute presented by Georges River Council mayor, Kevin Greene at the October 25 council meeting and was unanimously supported by councillors.

It follows a petition launched by former Kogarah Councillor Lachlan McLean, who led the R2K - Return to Kogarah campaign to name the grandstand in honour of Norm Provan who passed away on October 13.

Cr Greene also revealed that there is a proposal by the Dragons to also commemorate the other St George Immortals Reg Gasnier, Johnny Raper and Graeme Langlands with statues to stand at each corner of the ground.

Mr McLean thanked Georges River Council for unanimously backing his campaign to name the grandstand at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium after the Immortal Norm Provan.

"The grandstand will be named after Mr Provan, pending approval by his family," Mr McLean said.

"St George fans and the Georges River community will be thrilled that Georges River Council recognises the significance of this issue," he said.

"It's appropriate that Kogarah's western grandstand be named after the most-admired Dragon of all, following Mr.Provan's passing on 13 October, 2021.

"Norm Provan's achievements for St George and rugby league will never be forgotten, including playing part in 10 of the club's 11 successive grand final victories, the latter five victories where he was captain-coach.
"I thank the several hundred StGeorge fans who supported my petition and especially Michael Murray who put forward the suggestion via social media.

"This great outcome is a win for our local community and adds to the permanence of St.George-Illawarra at the Dragons' spiritual home," he said.

More:

getsmarty

Immortal