What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norman is overrated.

Carlton

Juniors
I never said move Norman to FB I am a Dufty to FB person.
I would never have bought Norman but seeing as we have IMO he has to be picked so it is the bench for mine.
The the notion that Widdop is a FB is predicated on false assumptions and Norman in fact is probably best at 7 and is close to ordinary at FB.
No club in its right mind would move Widdop away from his best position to accomodate a replacement not required for a complete season.
Must be encouraging for Jai Field.

Bennett and the English team thought Widdop was a fullback and he played fullback when he first came to the storm. There is no false assumption about Widdop being a good fullback.

Dufty has shortcomings and has not shown he has eliminated them. As I have said on many occasions my preference is Widdop over Dufty and a genuine first grade fullback like TVS over both of them. I also believe that we should have let Widdop leave this year.

I think Norman will be a good buy and one we needed to make, if he doesn't come up to speed move him on. All this negative crap and he has had one premiership game with Hunt at St George so far. You are happy to keep Dufty and he has had over a season in the team and yet the club was looking for an upgrade before Widdop dropped his bombshell.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
8 Vaughan 9 Hunt 10 Kerr 11 Host 12 Lulieu 13 Mcinnes 1 Dufty 2 Periera 3 Lomax 4 lafai 5 Ravalawa 6 widdop 7 Norman. ..14 Graham 15 Lawrie 16 Timm 17 Robson. Because we need some tall timber against the Burgess bros.yes I am dreaming MARY won't do this. ... ...... .......

Old Timer

Coach
Bennett and the English team thought Widdop was a fullback and he played fullback when he first came to the storm. There is no false assumption about Widdop being a good fullback.

Dufty has shortcomings and has not shown he has eliminated them. As I have said on many occasions my preference is Widdop over Dufty and a genuine first grade fullback like TVS over both of them. I also believe that we should have let Widdop leave this year.

I think Norman will be a good buy and one we needed to make, if he doesn't come up to speed move him on. All this negative crap and he has had one premiership game with Hunt at St George so far. You are happy to keep Dufty and he has had over a season in the team and yet the club was looking for an upgrade before Widdop dropped his bombshell.
The Engkush team had an injury situation so that is the only reason he was moved
No injury no FB.
He played a few games at FB for the Storm and his value as a 5/8 was recognised and accommodated.
If he was a top gun FB he would have remained there.
The issue with Dufty as a FB is a totally different arguement and not to be confused with Widdop or Norman at 5/8.
This dilemma is if our own making because ifca FB was the target we didn’t complete the task of getting one and instead try to manufacture 1 and in doing so f**k up the entire team.
Norman was a cheap option bought out of panic because the club didn’t think Field was ready or good enough or coach couldn’t get the best out of him.
If Hayne had been signed Widdop would be 5/8 with Field the option for next year if a big name signing wasn’t forthcoming and Dufty would have been offloaded.
Next year we still have Dufty who was the perceived problem in the 1st place and not only do we still have him we do so for several years and you say we can let go if Norman if need be but still insist on criticising and moving our best player Widdop.
Ludicrous.

Carlton

Juniors
The Engkush team had an injury situation so that is the only reason he was moved
No injury no FB.
He played a few games at FB for the Storm and his value as a 5/8 was recognised and accommodated.
The issue with Dufty as a FB is a totally different arguement and not to be confused with Widdop or Norman at 5/8.
This dilemma is if our own making because ifca FB was the target we didn’t complete the task of getting one and instead try to manufacture 1 and in doing so f**k up the entire team.
Norman was a cheap option bought out of panic because the club didn’t think Field was ready or good enough or coach couldn’t get the best out of him.
If Hayne had been signed Widdop would be 5/8 with Field the option for next year if a big name signing wasn’t forthcoming and Dufty would have been offloaded.
Next year we still have Dufty who was the perceived problem in the 1st place and not only do we still have him we do so for several years and you say we can let go if Norman if need be but still insist on criticising and moving our best player Widdop.
Ludicrous.

OT you talk about Norman being a panic buy, I dont think this was the case at all. I think Widdop leaving threw out some of the recruitment plans and the opportunity was there to pick up a replacement now at a good price. This isn't panic its being judicious. If Norman doesn't deliver then move him , which we should be doing with those juniors (or any player) that are not hitting the mark. Field has not shown he is able to play first grade on a week to week basis, should he have been blooded is a different issue. Widdop wanted to be the main playmaker in a team, thats why he was not playing fullback but was playing 5/8. He has shown he is a good fullback.

The panic was keeping Dufty, the decision was made he was not the answer at fullback and he was about to be moved on. He has been signed for an extra year just to make sure he is on board this year as a backup.

If Widdop had not decided to leave he would have been the 5/8 for the next three years of his contract.

Old Timer

Coach
OT you talk about Norman being a panic buy, I dont think this was the case at all. I think Widdop leaving threw out some of the recruitment plans and the opportunity was there to pick up a replacement now at a good price. This isn't panic its being judicious. If Norman doesn't deliver then move him , which we should be doing with those juniors (or any player) that are not hitting the mark. Field has not shown he is able to play first grade on a week to week basis, should he have been blooded is a different issue. Widdop wanted to be the main playmaker in a team, thats why he was not playing fullback but was playing 5/8. He has shown he is a good fullback.

The panic was keeping Dufty, the decision was made he was not the answer at fullback and he was about to be moved on. He has been signed for an extra year just to make sure he is on board this year as a backup.

If Widdop had not decided to leave he would have been the 5/8 for the next three years of his contract.
Widdop moving is by negotiation so not so difficult to do.
Dufty and / or Norman would prove costly
What shits me is they wanted a FB for right or wrong and then didn’t properly complete that requirement.
I am if the opinion that Widdop & Hunt could have been exceptional this year as it had a year under its belt but Hunt & Norman I am anything but convinced.

st.phil

Bench
I don't see it as normans issue - he was bought a year early and supercoach does not want to make the tough decisions. 3 into 2 don't go - Dufty is by far and away the best option at FB. Although not perfect - he with hunt made a huge difference to our attack last year.

Nevan_

First Grade
I don't see it as normans issue - he was bought a year early and supercoach does not want to make the tough decisions. 3 into 2 don't go - Dufty is by far and away the best option at FB. Although not perfect - he with hunt made a huge difference to our attack last year.

Is Dufty really our best option? Due to his size he will always be a liability on the try line

Old Timer

Coach
Is Dufty really our best option? Due to his size he will always be a liability on the try line
Out of the 3 players in the frame he is the best option and the bonus is that it also puts out best 5/8 back into the spine.
The next best option for FB is not at our club yet.

Nevan_

First Grade
Out of the 3 players in the frame he is the best option and the bonus is that it also puts out best 5/8 back into the spine.

Isn’t Lomax’s preferred position fullback?

Old Timer

Coach
Isn’t Lomax’s preferred position fullback?
Some say that but he is playing centres so you have to run with that
Millward has declared Jai Field yet he trialled in the halves
TBPH I don’t think our mob have a clue and that’s why I think our next FB isn’t in our colours yet.

Last edited:
I don't think Widdop is such a disasterous choice at FB.
He pulled off 2 huge try saving tackles which Dufty would never have made. One was on JT.
Positionally he is much more sound than Dufty and he can still link and ball play as a second 5/8 if we have possession in attacking positions.
Norman had a reasonable game, ran for nearly 100m and was sound in defence.
Behind a pack that was obviously dominated, especially in the second half, I don't think Widdop would have fared any better.
Just saying.

kit66

Bench

There is no-one in Rugby League who's opinion I respect more than Sterlo's and I agree with him in this, I said it myself in an earlier thread. It seems so obvious and the only thing that makes sense is to re-instate the spine that absolutely killed it for us last year. When I first heard of the changes to accommodate someone who lead the wooden spooner's nowhere and heard some fans and commentators saying wow great idea, I thought I'd woken up in some crazy mixed up parallel universe and f**k me, the nightmare continues.

The truth is Norman is rated as being a good 5/8 and a good organizer but he's not. Even Brad Arthur finally realized that mid season last year and moved him to fullback ( where he fared no better ).
Sure he's a talented individual player and can pull off the occasional miracle play but he's just not in Widdop's class, not even close. I'm not part of the anti - Mary brigade but he's stuffed up with Widdop and Norman. The sooner he sorts it out the better,

Crush

Coach
No injury no FB.
Ludicrous.
I doubt Field is even in the Dragons plans fullstop. I reckon he will fade into the abyss of never quite made its.....

slippery5

Juniors
Cronk went to the Roosters and it took him a number of games to develop his combination with Keary. Why is it any different for Norman and Hunt?[/QUOTE Umm because some people have no idea on who is a quality player & who isn't!!!!!!!!!

getsmarty

Immortal
Risky business: Norman urges Dragons playmakers to push the boundaries
Adam PengillyMarch 18, 2019 — 8.00pm
  • Send via Email
St George Illawarra newcomer Corey Norman believes the Dragons' chief playmakers were too conservative to start the season, but has urged patience with Paul McGregor's remodelled attack.

On the same day James Graham leapt to the defence of the Dragons' interchangeable spine, the club's major off-season recruit bemoaned the team's failure to chance their arm against the Cowboys in Townsville.

4ee0c22101e148625333dcbc810e01e6254003b0

Corey Norman.Credit:NRL Photos

McGregor has shifted Gareth Widdop to fullback to allow Norman and Ben Hunt to work in tandem in the halves, with Matt Dufty's introduction from the bench forcing a reshuffle mid-game.

It is likely to be a policy McGregor adopts for much of the season as he looks to add an extra dimension to the Dragons' attack.

But Norman heaped the pressure back on himself, Hunt and Widdop to spark the Dragons against old foes South Sydney at Kogarah on Thursday night. They will have only one field session in preparation for the game – the captain's run on Wednesday.

"It was a bit clunky there on Saturday, wasn’t it? I thought we played a bit too conservative us three," Norman said.

"We have plenty of talent there and could probably play a bit more football. And when we did get our shape on, I thought we played a bit too much through the lead [runner]. In saying that, it is round one and our combinations are going to take time.

"I think it takes a good month for teams that have [even] had their combination to get going. You have to be very simple in your early rounds. I think it takes about four weeks to get into rhythm no matter what."

While Norman was happy to shoulder much of the responsibility for the Dragons' splutter against the Cowboys, straight-talking teammate Graham didn't hide his frustration with any criticism of St George Illawarra's new spine.

Asked whether any questioning of the playmakers was premature after round one, Graham said: "Exactly. We’ve got some quality players here and obviously five doesn’t go into four in terms of fitting everyone on the field at the same time, but I think that’s a headache most coaches could only wish for.

The spine is everything in teams. They pull all the strings, but I wouldn’t judge a part of one game and put a line through [the experiment]

James Graham
"The spine is everything in teams. They pull all the strings, but I wouldn’t judge a part of one game and put a line through [the experiment]. I’m very optimistic on how this team and this spine in particular can go and where I believe they can take us."

The Dragons will be without Australian and NSW forward Tyson Frizell, who returned to Sydney after the rest of the squad having undergone surgery in north Queensland on a ruptured testicle. Frizell played on with the injury after a collision with makeshift Cowboys fullback Te Maire Martin.

It compounds St George Illawarra's early-season loss of Jack de Belin, who is due to return to court next month to fight the NRL's no-fault stand-down policy.

Said Norman: "They were the heartbeat of the forward pack last year, weren’t they? That is rugby league. We have to deal with it and move on."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ri...s-to-push-the-boundaries-20190318-p5154e.html