What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Brisbane Bears - Plan B

KHunt

Juniors
If for whatever reason the Central Coast Bears don't get in (I am strongly supporting the bid) then surely the last option for the mighty Bears would be to go interstate to Brisbane. North Brisbane.

It makes sense. Through this idea we are bringing back a Sydney Foundation club and bringing in a second Brisbane team and a fourth Queensland side. That's massive.

It would have a strong base to work off and have a huge fan base in Sydney which would still get 6-7 away games in Sydney inc. a Manly away game and bringing 1-2 games for North Sydney Oval (a Manly game), plus 10 games at Suncorp Stadium. Based in a league heartland of 2million with only one other team. A team with a bigger history than the Broncos. The North Brisbane area is massive inc. Redcliffe (look on google maps).

I thinking thinking it could be a hit on the Sunny Coast but with the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles in the QLD Cup I doubt they'd build a fanbase with Manly having a team there.

It would be a massive hit towards union and even AFL. Imagine a second team getting bigger crowds then the Queensland Reds and a rugby league game being played at Suncorp every second week.

Even if the Central Coast Bears get into the NRL the NRL would still be stupid not to bring in a North Brisbane team. f**k West Brisbane. It's a sh*thole and Ipswich is an even bigger despressing one. The QLD cup doesn't even have a West Brisbane team while the North Devils are one of the oldest teams in the cup.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Good idea, but I still dont see why the Ipswich and Logan area dont deserve a team. Just because its "a hole" dosent say much.

Canard

Immortal
Not taking the piss but look on google maps??

Look on google maps and Central Queensland dwarfs North Brisbane in area, but thats not the point is it, its about supporter numbers (i.e. population)

An "history" isnt a criteria that you use for any expansion team, as far as QLD goes the Bears have ZERO history or ties.

mik01

Juniors
Not taking the piss but look on google maps??

Look on google maps and Central Queensland dwarfs North Brisbane in area, but thats not the point is it, its about supporter numbers (i.e. population)

An "history" isnt a criteria that you use for any expansion team, as far as QLD goes the Bears have ZERO history or ties.

are you f**king kidding?

1 - Martin Bella
2 - Kerry Bousted
3 - Ben Ikin
4 - Peter Jackson
5 - Les Kiss
6 - Gary Larson
7 - Billy Moore

huge Qld connections, inc HUGE legends of Origin, and I would say much loved up this way.
I would barrack for the Bears when the Broncs weren't playing back when I was a kid

happy to see the Bears up this way - should never have been dropped from the League - Souths should have! :sarcasm:

babyg

Juniors
This crossed my mind too. Think it could work. The only thing is that North Sydney desperately needs a presence so would be hard basing the Bears in Brisbane. Other than that it would work.

Cronulla need to go.
If for whatever reason the Central Coast Bears don't get in (I am strongly supporting the bid) then surely the last option for the mighty Bears would be to go interstate to Brisbane. North Brisbane.

It makes sense. Through this idea we are bringing back a Sydney Foundation club and bringing in a second Brisbane team and a fourth Queensland side. That's massive.

It would have a strong base to work off and have a huge fan base in Sydney which would still get 6-7 away games in Sydney inc. a Manly away game and bringing 1-2 games for North Sydney Oval (a Manly game), plus 10 games at Suncorp Stadium. Based in a league heartland of 2million with only one other team. A team with a bigger history than the Broncos. The North Brisbane area is massive inc. Redcliffe (look on google maps).

I thinking thinking it could be a hit on the Sunny Coast but with the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles in the QLD Cup I doubt they'd build a fanbase with Manly having a team there.

It would be a massive hit towards union and even AFL. Imagine a second team getting bigger crowds then the Queensland Reds and a rugby league game being played at Suncorp every second week.

Even if the Central Coast Bears get into the NRL the NRL would still be stupid not to bring in a North Brisbane team. f**k West Brisbane. It's a sh*thole and Ipswich is an even bigger despressing one. The QLD cup doesn't even have a West Brisbane team while the North Devils are one of the oldest teams in the cup.

Widman

Juniors
West Brisbane should be the next team brought in imo. Have a team covering Toowoomba, Ipswich, Redbank & Springfield.

1. Massive following and partipation of rugby league in the area. Look at the players who have come from Ipswich. Allan Langer pops to mind straight away. The area will certainly provide NRL quality players.

2. The Western Corrider is rapidly growing, both with infrastructure and population. Growing number of shopping centres, businesses, residental estates, road upgrades etc. Ipswich and Gatton also has a University each.

3. Pre-existing rail network into Brisbane. Trains are always packed heading home from Milton. Crowds will match/better anything a Perth, Adelaide, Central Coast team will achieve.

4. For these reasons, local and state govts would certainly support any decision to have a team here

While yes Im from Ipswich and am bias, a team out here would be sustainable, and would do wonders for the development and growth of the game. Perth and Adelaide teams have failed and are firmly taken over by AFL. Central Coast also puts up a strong case, but West Brisbane should be closely looked at.

MacDougall

First Grade
Being in South West Brisbane, I will have to say put a team here abouts. Put a leagues club in Mt Gravatt and another near the Logan Hyperdome :D.

Not the Bears though. Call them the South Brisbane Wu Tang Clan.

Perth Red

Post Whore
100 years on and we are talking about GROWING our game by putting teams into Brisbane and Gosford, geez!

Canard

Immortal
are you f**king kidding?

1 - Martin Bella
2 - Kerry Bousted
3 - Ben Ikin
4 - Peter Jackson
5 - Les Kiss
6 - Gary Larson
7 - Billy Moore

huge Qld connections, inc HUGE legends of Origin, and I would say much loved up this way.
I would barrack for the Bears when the Broncs weren't playing back when I was a kid

happy to see the Bears up this way - should never have been dropped from the League - Souths should have! :sarcasm:

Okay your one of the 10's of Bears fans in QLD I get it.

But Norths in Brisbane means a compeletey different team with a lot more History.

I spose I was reacting more to cuties assertion that a Sydney team (paraphrasing here) would have more appeal to QLDers than the Broncos.

Im a Cowboys fan and even I say "Get your hand off it!"

Last edited:

bender

Juniors
I know a lot of time has passed and circumstances changed, but when North Sydney last played games in Brisbane (not against Broncos) they expected 20000 plus and got less about 5000. Brisbane are not guaranteed to be the success that most people assume.

mik01

Juniors
I know a lot of time has passed and circumstances changed, but when North Sydney last played games in Brisbane (not against Broncos) they expected 20000 plus and got less about 5000. Brisbane are not guaranteed to be the success that most people assume.

being a Sydney team playing in another state at the time, thats to be expected... captain obvious here..

whats your point?

Look - the obvious merits of re-establishing the Bears in Brisbane (or any existing team) are many - ie - established club structure, juniors, sponsorship, brand etc

look at the AFL - the Lions survived, and only became competitive, through a merger with Fitzroy (ironically they used to be called the Bears!).

The Qld NRL teams are all successful because they service a niche market and feed off the 'identity' of the region - ie, Gold Coast hates to be compared to Brisbane (even though they are the little brother), and so a public perception exists that they want their own identity.

likewise for NQ - rightfully having their own team as they are isolated geographically and find it difficult to support a Sth Qld team.

the Western suburbs is a great option. Don't forget the fans from out West that will embrace the team - ie Toowoomba and the further west country areas - all huge NRL supporters.

however Nth Brisbane is also a strong option.

for those suggesting that Qlders would reject a Sydney club relocating, I would disagree and argue that there are a great many Brisbane people desperate for a new team to support other than the Broncs.
As with the Lions, blending interstate with local identity can work very well.

just my thoughts...

mightybears

Bench

I'm not an advocate of a North Brisbane Bears, but North Sydney is still the only Sydney club to have more Queensland than NSW Origin reps, and has a long history of Northerners playing in the red and black, like Lloyd Weier and Duncan Thompson