What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Queensland Fury

Tommy Smith

Referee
It's called football all over the world. Even here, where in case you didn't notice it's called Football Australia.

Quite ironic how you would say, "oh you want to be English now".

When to call it "soccer" is to be American because they coined the stupid term and are the only major nation that uses the term.

krudmonk

Juniors
It's called football all over the world. Even here, where in case you didn't notice it's called Football Australia.

Quite ironic how you would say, "oh you want to be English now".

When to call it "soccer" is to be American because they coined the stupid term and are the only major nation that uses the term.
"Soccer" is hardly American. It was coined in England in opposition to "rugger" football. Many other nations call it soccer, including the next nation to host to FIFA World Cup; the opening match and final will be held at Soccer City. Sky Sports even has a program called Soccer Saturday. Nobody seems to mind the word in that case, despite the outsider view that Anglos frown upon it. With light of that evidence, Australia's recent push to use the English shorthand (despite its own preference for multiple other codes of football) is pretty sad.

Thankfully, I don't think everyone there is so gung-ho about the terminology as you.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Stalker.

Im really honoured that you feel the need to follow me through every thread and make comment on everything i write.

I feel like a celebrity. Which would make you a cheerleading little fanboy.

I may need to take out a restraining order on you soon.

krudmonk

Juniors
http://www.safagoal.net/

The South African Football Association would disagree with your argument.
So they're desperate for legitimacy, too? Big deal. I guess you guys have company. It doesn't change the fact that their top division is the Premier Soccer League. Hell, Australia had the National Soccer League as recently as four years ago. Keep putting up the facade, though.

Misanthrope

Staff member
So they're desperate for legitimacy, too? Big deal. I guess you guys have company. It doesn't change the fact that their top division is the Premier Soccer League. Hell, Australia had the National Soccer League as recently as four years ago. Keep putting up the facade, though.

I'm sorry. What point is it you're trying to make, exactly? Or is the entire point here that you're desperate for attention and so being an antagonistic wanker to achieve it? Did Mummy not tuck you in at night? Did Daddy always miss your rhythmic gymnastics recitals?

You seem to hate that Australia now follows the trend of 99% of the world by calling football by its traditional name rather than by soccer. The few countries that recognise it as 'soccer' are the USA, territories of the USA, Liberia, the Phillipines and Papua New Guinea. Footballing powerhouses all.

You point out that the top flight in South Africa is the Premier Soccer League and that the Australian football team are the Socceroos, but don't seem to be familiar with the concept of brand recognition. Changing the name of an iconic national team or a league with an established following is just counter-productive. The 'Socceroos' brand is one of the most recognisable and marketable in Australian sport.

Basically, you're an idiot. It's nothing to do with being 'desperate for legitimacy', and everything to do with calling the sport by its actual name - and not by some name that sprung up in the 19th century and never really caught on.

krudmonk

Juniors
- My original point was that "soccer" was not an American term, not that "football" is not used alongside the other term. Hell, even I use both in certain contexts.
- I don't hate what Australia calls it. I just think that the sudden shift is very transparent.
- The mere fact that a brand was created with that term shows that "soccer" was very prevalent. A movement to the less specific term serves no purpose. Even FIFA doesn't use an unqualified "football" (the A standing for "Association").
- Grow up. What is with this place where the mods are as childish as the ordinary rubes?

EDIT: By the way, we're still debating this on the Soccer subforum. You better get on changing that.

Misanthrope

Staff member
: By the way, we're still debating this on the Soccer subforum. You better get on changing that.

Alas, the powers that be aren't big fans of the round ball game, and take offence at it being called football :lol:

Latest posts