What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norway RL

Justin666

Juniors
Today, myself and 5 kids were practising some rugby drills. We were practising how to pass and how to play the ball. These kids are very interested in the sport, so I decided to reward their interest by letting them play a little game of touch. As there were only 5 kids, we needed one more player, so I decided to come on. I told the kids that I wasn't gonna crush em or anything :p

Anyway, it all went well. The kids played really well. The only problem was that the kids (on the attack) had some problems standing behind the ball carrier. They are all used to soccer, I guess. They also threw the ball forward a couple of times, but overall, I am very pleased about the amount of progress these (and the other participating) children have made the last few weeks.

As another reward, I am going to let these and the other kids play a game of Oztag next week. You may not know this, but the school year ends in less than 3 weeks, and since I do not know about my work situation at the school for next year, I might as well let them have a real go at playing. If I happen to be working at the same school next year, I will be concentrating a lot more on developing the game.

In other news, I received a letter today from a fellow Norwegian, who tried to introduce the game to a town/region not so far away from where I live. He tried introducing the game in 1994, but it never kicked off. I will be keeping in touch with this man from now on.

Thats all the news I have so far. Keep checking back here for more and even check my website every now and then. I will be updating it regularly.

Justin

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
Great stuff Justin. I thought I read somewhere that they were going to keep you on for another 12 months. All the best for work next year if that's not the case

deluded pom?

Coach
The son of one of my workmates has a Norwegian girlfriend and at the moment they are both living in Sydney .They recently attended Origin one with some Norwegian friends of hers .Needless to say they were in awe of the game .Rugby League is a game for all Nationalities .Best of luck wherever you go Justin .

Justin666

Juniors
How lucky am I? :D

Just received a package today from the New South Wales Rugby League academy. The package contained 5 medium sized balls, which means I now have 11 in total! It also contained 2 NSWRL shirts, a cap, several coaching programmes and more. I am very happy about this!

I am going to personally thank everyone (even more :) ) who has supplied me with balls and other equipment, because without them, I wouldn't have been able to have introduced RL to the kids. I would also like to thank everyone else for sticking by me, and I hope you will stick by me next school year too, as I plan to continue this work! You see, my school has plans for renewing my contract for another year. The principal has actually promised me work for next year, but nothing is certain until I actually get the contract. But I am pretty certain that there will be no problems.

I have big plans for the sport in my school next year. I plan on further developing the kids' knowledge of the game. As of now, the children have a good knowledge of the game, and they want to know more. I am thinking of making a few teams within my school, and maybe, just maybe, this will develop into more teams around the district. This is a goal of mine, but I am not going to get my hopes up. I don't want to rush into things so quickly.

Anyway, today was a great day. I don't think I have told you this, but every day, for half an hour, I take the kids out to the nearby soccer field to play rugby league. Some don't want to play yet, so they just kick and pass the ball, which is fine. I don't want to force anyone into playing the game. Heck, they might want to play once they feel the time is right.
Today, about 50 children came down to the field, either to pass/kick or play touch rugby. I am not going to introduce tackle yet, as it can be very dangerous. The parents might worry too! I am going to use the tag belts I received from Oztag a while ago, so this should be very exciting. I know the kids are excited about it!

There may only be 2 weeks left until the end of the school year, but I have promised the kids that there will be a little tournament towards the end of the school year. There will be teams (not big teams), probably about 4-5 on each team. The kids are excited about this, and so am I! I love teaching them the sport. They are so enthuasiastic about the whole concept!

There won't be a lot happening for Norway RL during the summer, as I am off to Australia for 2 months, but when I come back to a new school year, I will be continuing with this project!

Thanks for reading this. Thanks a lot :)

deluded pom?

Coach
I'm sure everybody on these forums wishes you all the best Justin . It's people like you and the other pioneers who work at the coal face that deserve all of the accolades you receive . Best of luck for the rest of this year and hopefully next year too .

Justin666

Juniors
Just a quick note guys to tell you that everything is going really, really well. The kids are actually playing Oztag, and the more they play, the more routined they become. It is becoming more and more natural the more they play, which is excellent.

Also, the teachers in my school have expressed some interest in the game, so I have been teaching some of them how to play the game and what drills/excercises you can use with the kids. One of the teachers has actually introduced the sport to his year 4 class B) They loved it B)

Evil Homer

Staff member
Keep fighting the cause!

If you don't get your contract renewed then would you be looking to get a job at another school?If so there is potential to expose more and more kids to the game.

Justin666

Juniors
The principal at my school has promised me work for one more year, but I wont find out for sure until tomorrow when the city council sits down to approve/disapprove the contract.

I find out tomorrow morning. Dont think there is going to be any problems really.

Justin666

Juniors
Justin666 said:
The principal at my school has promised me work for one more year, but I wont find out for sure until tomorrow when the city council sits down to approve/disapprove the contract.

I find out tomorrow morning. Dont think there is going to be any problems really.

Got the job. RL will not die:)

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
Great news mate! Awesome news that other teachers are expressing interest as well. The more adults you can get interested (particularly ones that look after kids) the better IMO.

Justin666

Juniors
Cheers, mate. I am really happy about it.

On Monday, I am going to ask all the pupils in years 6 and 7 at my school if they wish to participate in a RL tournament on Wednesday, seeing as it is the last day before the summer break.

Even though it is short notice, I think the kids will be positive to the idea.

I will keep you notified of what happens.

Justin666

Juniors
Hi guys,

It is me again. Just thought I would drop by and tell you that I am still teaching RL at my school. I have introduced the game to as low as the fourth grade now, and I am pretty sure kids from years 4-7 will know have adequate knowledge about the game before the end of the school year.

I am going to conduct a tournament, which will probably be held next Friday (the day before the end of the autumn term). I will let you know how that goes.

Justin

Justin666

Juniors
Summary of the RL tournament at my school on 29.09.06
On the 29.09.06, my school, and possibly the whole of Norway, held the first ever RL tournament for children. The children who were going to participate were at different playing levels. Some had played a lot, some had some knowledge of the game, and some joined up without even knowing anything about the game. However, all the children who showed up had one thing in common. They were pumped up and ready to go! I knew this was going to be a successful tournament.

Before the tournament, 21 children had decided they were going to play in the tournament. Also, a number of other kids had decided they were just going to watch. However, when the kids met at the gymnasium, 26 children said they were going to play! That is 5 more than anticipated! Plus, some of the children who were going to play were absent, so there were about 10 children who decided to meet up without telling me beforehand! This was good and bad. The good part was that there were more children than I had anticipated. The more, the better I thought. Also, I only had 7 teams, because there were going to be 3 on each team. I originally wanted 8 teams, and I got that. Two teams had one reserve each. The bad part was that I had to rearrange the teams, because of the new players who I had not thought were going to be there. Anyway, enough of that.

The first match was played by TEAM 1 and TEAM 2. I will not name players’ names. The first match was a very close fought match. Nothing really seperated the teams, except a try that is. TEAM 1 scored 2 tries and TEAM scored 1. Final score 8-4. TEAM 1 advanced to the semis, TEAM 2 were eliminated.

The second match was played by TEAM 3 and TEAM 4. This match was pretty one sided. Despite TEAM 4 having two players who had never played before, these players played exceptionally well, scoring 3 tries (one scored one and the other two). The final score was 12-0. TEAM 4 advanced to the semis, TEAM 3 were eliminated.

The third match was played by TEAM 5 and TEAM 6. This match, like the first match, was a very close fought match. TEAM 5 won 8-4. TEAM 5 advanced to the semis, TEAM 6 were eliminated.

The fourth and final match before the semis was contested between TEAM 7 and TEAM 8. None of the players on these teams had ever played RL before. However, TEAM 8 were about to show the rest of the teams that they meant business after flogging TEAM 7 by 24-8. TEAM 8 advanced to the semis, TEAM 7 were eliminated.

The teams that advanced to the semis were teams 1,4,5 and 8.

TEAM 1 vs TEAM 4

TEAM 5 vs TEAM 8

In the first semi final, TEAM 5 played TEAM 8. Both teams were competitive and equally strong, but TEAM 8 snuck home by 20-12. TEAM 8 advanced to the grand final, TEAM 5 were eliminated.

In the other second final, TEAM 1 played TEAM 4. Both teams were competitive, but TEAM 4 were just too strong, winning 24-16.

The teams that advanced to the grand final were teams 4 and 8.

This match had everything. It had a lot of tries, passion, and the crowd was right behind both teams! Both teams were equally strong. The teams scored try after try; the lead changed several times. But, one of the players was about to be the hero of the day. The score was 20-20 and there was 10 seconds to go. One boy on TEAM 4 had the ball, sidestepped a few players. He had one player to beat. He got passed him, and was about to go for the try. As he was putting the ball down, the other guy jumped on him, hurting the guy’s leg. The try had been scored and TEAM 4 had won 24-20, but the try scorer was in so much pain he was crying. I rushed over to him and asked him if he was alright before I told him he had scored the winning try. He was absolutely thrilled, despite being in a lot of pain. The crowd was jumping for joy too, after witnessing such an enthralling match!

At the end, all players (except those who had left), received their diploma. The ones who had left will receive after the autumn break. Also, the winning team received a RL game on dvd featuring Leeds and Hull from Headingley, which was played in 2005. They loved it!

In conclusion, the tournament was a success and the kids want to have another one really soon. One girl who did not play wanted me to organise one every week, but I dont think that will be possible! Maybe once every month. It was a shame that not a lot of parents turned up, but the ones who turned up thought it was great. Hopefully, they will come next time.
Even though the tournament was a success, I am going to make the tournament even better by implementing these ideas:

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Have 2 linesmen for every game. Their job will be to tell me when a player has gone out of touch, when the ball is out of touch and if a player has grounded the ball properly, if my view is obscured.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Have one person write down which players score and when they scored.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Get someone to use the school video camera and film the games.