What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not a bad effort under the circumstances...

maestro1

Bench
I hate it when we lose...So much that it takes a day or two to get over the bad mood. But, let's not get too upset about that loss. Manly are a team chock full of rep stars.

They had a team of 9 internationals and the rest have representaed NSW, City or Contry. Our side that took the field was half our Shellharbour team and only 3 of the reps were backing up. Take out Scott, JSmith and Fien and you can see why it was alwys going to be extremely hard to beat Manly. Everyone goes on like last nights rep games renders the playrs backing up useless. This is utter crap as all the rep players on both sides were the best players tonight. Creagh, Young, Morris, Lyons, wattmough and co all played well. They are rep quality players and tonight proves that it is not such a bad thing to back up less than 24 hours after. $8 hours after changes things somewhat. If I was Manly, I wouldn't get too carried away with that win. I got sick of Daley
mentioning their 8 representatives again, without mentioning our 5 reps and ijured personell.
we were missing:
  • Weyman
  • Nightingale
  • Beau Scott
  • Jeremy Smith
  • Nathan Fien
They dissallowed 2 fair tries and that takes it to 22 to 18 with 10 minutes to play.....from their anything can happen. T-rex's third try was pure arse. Manly showed tremendous committment tonight and needed it. Even a 5% drop in committment and our patched up side would have got them. The third T-rex try summed up our night. Every single inch play went astray. i commend Manly's effort, defence and commitment, but I applaud our guys as well. We were up against it tonight. It was like there was an invisible hand shafting us our every chance. Morris drops a ball that he catches 99 times out of a hundred. The ball bounces of Lett's chest with every chance that he will run 90 metres and score. Emmett trips as he gets in the clear, Lyons arsey deadball line play. Badger failing to go to the video ref on Morris' try. Soward's pass to Lett being ruled forward. Their was more than a hint of obstruction in Farrar's try. Bloody Cooper needs to get smarter. If he played on that and made more of it (like Wattmough did), I believe they would have dissallowed it. He should have bloody hit the deck, like Kimmorley always does. Nothing was going our way....Anybody who has played League knows some games are just like that.........I think Priddis should have played 80 minutes tonight. When we were trying to get back into the game, we had nothing until Priddis came back.....

bmwpower

Juniors
No excuses here. Our attack was not and is not good enough to penetrate their defence. We were our enthused and out played. No excuses on how many players out, they had 8 backing up and there 5/8 ruled out on half time. Dessy has done his homework

needed a bit more starch in the backline - the defence was too soft for my liking and we'll need to fix that up before too long.

SilentAssassin

Juniors
No excuses here. Our attack was not and is not good enough to penetrate their defence. We were our enthused and out played. No excuses on how many players out, they had 8 backing up and there 5/8 ruled out on half time. Dessy has done his homework

I agree. They still had the troops to beat Manly. Defense was poor. The Farrah try was an absolute joke. Thought I was watching the Sharks defend.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No excuses, I agree.

But would you rather have eight rep players on the field, or six players (including 3-4 forwards) out injured?

moik

Bench
I don't understand why more wasn't made of the farrar try. Lyon ran into Hornby who slipped off the tackle. Hornby may well have missed anyway but it didn't help being rammed by Lyon.

maestro1

Bench

we also lost our best player up to half time...Costigan. He was on fire....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It was in response to the opening post, regarding players out injured prior to kick off.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Things I took from the game that lead to us committing suicide against a big pack.

Line speed terribly slow.
Inability to win repeat sets (running 1% plays on the 6th)
Limited ball movement, decoys and tip on's in the centre 3rd.

Also our inability to adapt to Lyon pushing up very quick on the left was frustrating.

maestro1

Bench
Things I took from the game that lead to us committing suicide against a big pack.

Line speed terribly slow.
Inability to win repeat sets (running 1% plays on the 6th)
Limited ball movement, decoys and tip on's in the centre 3rd.

Also our inability to adapt to Lyon pushing up very quick on the left was frustrating.

Why aren't teams running player at the hole Matai leaves when he charges in to make a big hit. It is really quite simple. You give Matai his target and then get the ball to a speedster who hits the hole that Matai leaves. Use the original player as a decoy....Easy points.......

Same on Lyons side. Lyons was rushing up...cut out the player Lyons takes and get someone in behind. It was obvious they had done their homework on Boyd...so we should have used Boyd as a decoy....Instead, we kept going to boyd... Soward needs to get his arse into gear....same as Hornby.....

bmwpower

Juniors
No excuses, I agree.

But would you rather have eight rep players on the field, or six players (including 3-4 forwards) out injured?

i know were your coming from, but we have enough depth to cover those losses. our starting line up was strong. manly played like those 8 players hadnt played the night before. we were the fresher team but have had no ticker. if manly back it up next week, they are the real deal

bmwpower

Juniors
Why aren't teams running player at the hole Matai leaves when he charges in to make a big hit. It is really quite simple. You give Matai his target and then get the ball to a speedster who hits the hole that Matai leaves. Use the original player as a decoy....Easy points.......

Same on Lyons side. Lyons was rushing up...cut out the player Lyons takes and get someone in behind. It was obvious they had done their homework on Boyd...so we should have used Boyd as a decoy....Instead, we kept going to boyd... Soward needs to get his arse into gear....same as Hornby.....

soward needs to step up. he has the talent but not the confidence. he needs to put his body on the line like other good halves.

Bath's Babes

Juniors
I can't believe you guys act like such sad arses. Yes we lost. Yes we had players injured. Yes we had players backing up. We're still first on the ladder so get over it and think about next week.

Goddo

Bench
Asside, FK I hate when people pronounce names wrong.

Stoopid merkin on TV was just saying "jerr-vis Bay"

Its pronounced "JARVIS" YOU RTARD, named after the great British Admiral Sir John Jervis. I can't believe one of the huskison locals didn't deck the merkin.

Sorry, back to footy talk

Dragonwest

Juniors
I can't believe you guys act like such sad arses. Yes we lost. Yes we had players injured. Yes we had players backing up. We're still first on the ladder so get over it and think about next week.

Wouldn't the best way to think about next week would be to discuss where we need to improve? We are sitting pretty on top, but we are FAR from perfect.

patzz_

Juniors
In all honesty for games like last night unless Soward commits the defence more by putting his body on the line i don't think we can win the premiership

SilentAssassin

Juniors
In all honesty for games like last night unless Soward commits the defence more by putting his body on the line i don't think we can win the premiership

Halves are still our weakness. As good as player Hornby is he's not a true halfback. Soward needs to take on the line more and stop dancing around when he gets the ball.

patzz_

Juniors
They were rushing up early, I thought there were many opportunities where we could have put the ball behind the defence for morris to rush onto

Latest posts