What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref and Bunker Decisions

Rod

Bench
5 minutes into the weekend and we already have a terrible obstruction decision. No try all day (at least based on the first half of the season!).

gerg

Juniors
OK, then he might have said it (apologies) but I didn't.

I mean, essentially this is my point of view. Union refs=professional, but hamstrung by chaotic laws. League refs=dunderheads, but have comparatively easy laws to police. League is an insanely better product, but gee I wish it was better policed.

I think we can all agree it starts with Annesley, who is a pimple on the arse of this game.

There is no 'might' involved here. He 'did' write it. There is a difference between the words, and yes my comprehension is fine.

Happy to put this aside and cut to the issue. What I was trying to emphasise earlier is that if rugby league referees refereed the same way as rugby union referees, the game would very quickly turn to the shit product that rugby union is.

Imagine if the referees started penalising every single player that did not play the ball correctly. Imagine if instead of calling an offside player out of the play, they instead just penalised them. Just these two examples and we would have referees blowing 40+ penalties a game and it would be shit. Instead we have referees that game manage. Everyone complains about it but the complaints would multiply if they just started penalising every single little indiscretion the players commit, to the letter of the law. That is how rugby union referees referee their game and IMO that is just as big a contributing factor as to why their game is shit, as much as the very technical nature of their rules.

Someguy

First Grade
Odd bunker comments in the Panthers v Storm game. Position of the fullback ruling out possibility of sin bin on what was a professional foul. Confused with penalty try?

Latest posts