What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not happy with channel 9 and foxtel re WCC

davohan123

Juniors
There has been a comprise for wcc

see manly sea eagles forum

Sea Eagles and Leeds Rhinos live from 5am EDST after Channel 9 supported a request to broadcast the match on FOX SPORTS.

The match to determine the best Rugby League club side in the world will be broadcast live on FOX SPORTS 3 from 5am on Monday, March 2.

Channel 9 will broadcast delayed coverage of the match later that night.
http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/message-board-detail.asp?mbid=119503&s=0

“This is a great result for Rugby League fans and I must thank Channel 9 and FOX SPORTS for their co-operation in enabling this match to be broadcast live,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today.

“This will be the last chance for Manly fans to watch their side play before Round 1 of the Telstra Premiership, which is now just three weeks away.”

The World Club Challenge between the Sea Eagles and Rhinos in Leeds will kick-off on Sunday, March 1, at 6pm (local time).

I am really not happy i cant watch it live now
I can see there point in doing it this way ( better audiences ) but for somepeople it is not . #-o

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
So you were hoping for 9 to be forced to show it live?

The league can't force 9 to do anything during the course of this tv rights contract deal, it seems...

gong_eagle

First Grade
World Club Challenge Live on Foxsports

19/02/2009 - By NRL
http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/news.asp?newsid=4165&Mth=2&Yr=2009

Rugby League fans across Australia will be able to watch the World Club Challenge between Manly Sea Eagles and Leeds Rhinos live from 5am EDST after Channel 9 supported a request to broadcast the match on FOX SPORTS.
The match to determine the best Rugby League club side in the world will be broadcast live on FOX SPORTS 3 from 5am on Monday, March 2.
Channel 9 will broadcast delayed coverage of the match later that night.
“This is a great result for Rugby League fans and I must thank Channel 9 and FOX SPORTS for their co-operation in enabling this match to be broadcast live,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today.
“This will be the last chance for Manly fans to watch their side play before Round 1 of the Telstra Premiership, which is now just three weeks away.”
The World Club Challenge between the Sea Eagles and Rhinos in Leeds will kick-off on Sunday, March 1, at 6pm (local time).

Bluebags1908

Juniors
So the year they decide to show 2 x Super League games a week, they decide to suddenly not broadcast the World Club Challenge?? !! This is madness!

I would have even televised the Manly vs Harlequins trial game as Harlequins are a Super League side. If this game is on TV in the UK then it should be in Australia.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Why couldn't 9 show it live AND on delay later? Not like they have much else on that matters at 5am.

gong_eagle

First Grade
So the year they decide to show 2 x Super League games a week, they decide to suddenly not broadcast the World Club Challenge?? !! This is madness!

I would have even televised the Manly vs Harlequins trial game as Harlequins are a Super League side. If this game is on TV in the UK then it should be in Australia.

so people without PayTv will have to wait till say 10:30pmish or later i guess

adamkungl

Immortal
Thanks wankers. A great result for RL fans, most not being able to actually watch the game for 12 hrs.

Danish

Referee
Just f**king brilliant...

I will thankfully be able to watch it at my brother's house which luckily is on the way to work, but this is going to stuff a lot of people up.

No doubt the delayed broadcast will be a cut down version too like they do for sunday afternoon football occasionally

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Thank christ I've got Fox Sports. But honestly, wtf is there on Ch9 at that hour of the morning anyway?

Parra

Referee
What makes anyone think that the NRL can dictate to any TV station?

They sell the rights to broadcast matches. If a station pays up, but does not broadcast - that's it. The NRL can't make any demands, other than fair payment as per the agreement - whether the matches are shown or not.

It's like selling someone a meat pie. After they've paid for it, they can eat it or throw it in the bin and there is nothing the vendor can do about it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So you were hoping for 9 to be forced to show it live?

The league can't force 9 to do anything during the course of this tv rights contract deal, it seems...
"The league"? And IanG... Why have a go at Gallop? This match is entire disconnected from the jurisdiction of the NRL... the WCC is it's own kettle of fish and no one in Oz is obligated to show it under any sort of contract.

They are broadcasting it, just not live.
Thanks wankers. A great result for RL fans, most not being able to actually watch the game for 12 hrs.
So what do you do for 5 of the other 8 games every week? As for "most" RL fans... I would imagine a majority, not a minority of RL fans would be Foxtel subscribers.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What makes anyone think that the NRL can dictate to any TV station?

They sell the rights to broadcast matches. If a station pays up, but does not broadcast - that's it. The NRL can't make any demands, other than fair payment as per the agreement - whether the matches are shown or not.

It's like selling someone a meat pie. After they've paid for it, they can eat it or throw it in the bin and there is nothing the vendor can do about it.

Again, this isn't about the NRL. It's Manly v Leeds... the WCC. Not an NRL sanctioned game.

Latest posts