What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not happy with channel 9 and foxtel re WCC

Snoz

Juniors
as someone mentioned before if you want to watch it bad enough you will find ways & means

ch 9 have purchased the rights to televise footy - it is their product to do what they like with it - while not a popular choice I am sure it is the best choice for them.

they didn't have to let fox show it - they could have made everyone wait until later that night.

Glenn

First Grade
Whats wrong with putting it on the 9HD channel, sure again people may not be able to see it but alot more would be able to see it, than just having it live on Fux.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't understand why there's such outrage about this when there's rarely any whinging about the week-to-week competition. Same with CS being on Fuel TV.

Glenn

First Grade
Thankfully there is some league coverage on FTA week to week, hence the lack of whinging.
As for the CS, just a glorified trial match where as the WCC takes the best team of each comp and puts them against each other hence the more interest.

I don't understand why there's such outrage about this when there's rarely any whinging about the week-to-week competition. Same with CS being on Fuel TV.
It's a lot easier to get to a pub in the afternoon/evening to watch my team go around than it will be to find somewhere to watch it at 5am. Then there's the fact I have to get up and go out that early rather than staying in bed and watching it like I normally do. Yes ok boo-hoo, but it is annoying.

adamkungl

Immortal
"The league"? And IanG... Why have a go at Gallop? This match is entire disconnected from the jurisdiction of the NRL... the WCC is it's own kettle of fish and no one in Oz is obligated to show it under any sort of contract.

They are broadcasting it, just not live.

So what do you do for 5 of the other 8 games every week? As for "most" RL fans... I would imagine a majority, not a minority of RL fans would be Foxtel subscribers.

Go to the pub or don't watch? Going to the pub not the best option at 5am... Also, I have more interest in watching this than most games every week, regardless of whether most think its a waste of time.

Also, maybe the majority of RL fans are foxtel subscribers. Either of us arguing this is full of sh*t, we have no stats to back it up. But I'm certain this disadvantages more people than it helps, if it helps anyone at all.

hrundi99

First Grade
A bit harsh if people's finances dont allow them to get Fox or Austar then they cant be critised.
But if you can give up some other luxury to get pay TV then its worth considering.

You just contradicted yourself.

Yes there are some people who simply don't have the money. There are plenty of others who do but decide to spend their money on other things.

Then there are those who complain about the expense of it and then go to the pub and spend $50 on beers, a meal and the pokies.

jed

First Grade
Those who don't think they can afford Foxtel... might be an idea to look at SelectTV... same thing, but you don't have to pay Fox prices.
As pointed out, SelecTV don't have Fox Sports. Their "basic" package is only $37.95, compared with $40 for Foxtel. Looking at what channels you've got for that price, I'd definitely be coughing up the extra $2.05 per month. As for the contract, it's up to you whether you really want Pay TV or not.

Foxtel
foxtel.jpg

SelecTV
selectv.jpg

Getting back on topic, for everyone whinging about missing this game beacuse you don't have Foxtel, give yourself an uppercut - you miss out on NRL games all through the season for the same reason, why whinge now when it's (according to some in this thread) "a nothing game"?

You just contradicted yourself.

Yes there are some people who simply don't have the money. There are plenty of others who do but decide to spend their money on other things.

Then there are those who complain about the expense of it and then go to the pub and spend $50 on beers, a meal and the pokies.

I dont think I did
I thought your point was no different to mine

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I think its great news. Channel nine don't televise rugby league well. They cram as many adds in as possible so you miss conversions, and occasionally the first 2 or three tackles of a set after a stoppage. Plus they never really do 'live' anyway. I'd much prefer fox who stick with the action and only really play adds through halftime. I'd barely watch any league if i didn't have fox given that friday nights are usually occupied and i work sunday- then listen to the coverage live on the radio. I'm usually home just to watch the kick off of the second half to a match that i already know the result of. Fox, for me, is the only way to follow league.

Lambretta

First Grade
Thanks wankers. A great result for RL fans, most not being able to actually watch the game for 12 hrs.

Are you seriously suggesting that the majority of people who watch league DONT have Foxtel?

I'd have thought the saturation of Foxtel for league fans was in excess of 50%

Lambretta

First Grade
Getting back on topic, for everyone whinging about missing this game beacuse you don't have Foxtel, give yourself an uppercut - you miss out on NRL games all through the season for the same reason, why whinge now when it's (according to some in this thread) "a nothing game"?

My thoughts exactly.

If I relied on Channel 9 for my footy fix I'd go insane. Constant ad breaks and the dragging out of the Sunday game. Admittedly Friday nights are now really good and they have Super League. But even so, the same 5 or 6 NRL clubs get shown over and over again ad-neuseum.

Last season Canberra were one of the most entertaining sides to watch in the whole NRL and how many times did Channel 9 show them? The Titans were another team playing good football but not getting tv matches. But Parramatta and St George get multiple showings even when they're playing absolute rubbish. It's all about ratings and not about showing which teams are playing good football.

I wouldn't give up Foxtel for all the tea in China. Better coverage hands down.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
World Club Challenge Live on Foxsports

19/02/2009 - By NRL
http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/news.asp?newsid=4165&Mth=2&Yr=2009

Rugby League fans across Australia will be able to watch the World Club Challenge between Manly Sea Eagles and Leeds Rhinos live from 5am EDST after Channel 9 supported a request to broadcast the match on FOX SPORTS.
The match to determine the best Rugby League club side in the world will be broadcast live on FOX SPORTS 3 from 5am on Monday, March 2.
Channel 9 will broadcast delayed coverage of the match later that night.
“This is a great result for Rugby League fans and I must thank Channel 9 and FOX SPORTS for their co-operation in enabling this match to be broadcast live,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today.
“This will be the last chance for Manly fans to watch their side play before Round 1 of the Telstra Premiership, which is now just three weeks away.”
The World Club Challenge between the Sea Eagles and Rhinos in Leeds will kick-off on Sunday, March 1, at 6pm (local time).
Thats at 3am here in WA and Gallop applaudes them! He is the WORST CEO ever!