What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not Proud

Are the Dragons the dumbest team in the comp?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gomarchin

Juniors
Cam McInnes made the wisest decision to leave us and go to the Sharks. He is literally laughing. Cronulla v Dragons no comparison I'm afraid.

They have the right coaches, the right ground, the right players - everything right and will improve as time goes on.

We will be left at the starting post.

As Possm says, what a mess.
You only need to drive past St George leagues club and the Sharks ground to see how far behind we are (off the field).

It looks like the sharks are the big brother both on and off the field.

Gareth67

First Grade
😢 When will the misery end I wonder ? A club can have a bad run when their stocks go low , however a few seasons later they are on the rise again .

Here at the Dragons it has been a decade of pain and suffering with no end in sight .

How much more before we have the correct people in place to finally rectify this shipwreck of a club ?

Illusion

Bench
😢 When will the misery end I wonder ? A club can have a bad run when their stocks go low , however a few seasons later they are on the rise again .

Here at the Dragons it has been a decade of pain and suffering with no end in sight .

How much more before we have the correct people in place to finally rectify this shipwreck of a club ?
Untill all the Board and Directors go or change ...... The only smart one was Johnson he seen the writing on the wall and did a hop skip and jump and said see you later ......

Gomarchin

Juniors

We have a culture and mentality of mediocrity. Plain and simple.

thebigredv

First Grade
We have a culture and mentality of mediocrity. Plain and simple.

This is just it. It can't be argued any other way.

I may not like Bellamy or Robinson or even someone like Payten but when I see them blowing up, griping to the media I can't help but feel like wishing we had a coach with the same high standards, will to win and passion for their job.

Our last two coaches are polar opposites to the above.

Dragon David

First Grade

I think the halcyon years characterised by happiness, great success, and prosperity and often used to describe an idyllic time in the past that is remembered as better than today has been totally lost to us Dragons fans.

The Taj Mahal, being the spiritual structure which adorns 124 Princes Highway, Beverley Park, was a very prestigious establishment in years gone by - it had virtually everything including fine eatery areas/restaurants, entertainment with high profile people, poker machines and many more attractions coupled with the aura of success and drew many patrons to it over years.

The location of this now not so glamorous club is not ideal when before it stood out like a beacon to the passerbyers in their vehicles and I guess most of the patrons go there to just have a snack and concentrate on trying to get a jackpot on the pokies.

The Sharks however, and this is in my opinion and my observation only, have their club and playing field in an area that is more appropriate to playing rugby league and they have spent quite a sum redeveloping it together with the construction of the profitable adjacent residential development. The people who had the foresight to have all of this done are a credit to the club and that is probably some of the reasons why they have been able to attract a coach like Fitzgibbon and players like Hynes and Finucane. When the club is seen to be running their business properly, it attracts the right people and resources.

Need I say more?

Gomarchin

Juniors
This is just it. It can't be argued any other way.

I may not like Bellamy or Robinson or even someone like Payten but when I see them blowing up, griping to the media I can't help but feel like wishing we had a coach with the same high standards, will to win and passion for their job.

Our last two coaches are polar opposites.
How many times have Bellamy and Robinson missed the semis since they started coaching first grade?
Once maybe twice.

These clubs PLAY to win premierships.

We play to hopefully make the 8 and be competitive.

Dragon David

First Grade
Edit - not passerbyers, sorry it should be passers-by.

The other thing I want to say is Shane
Flanagan was deregistered indefinitely in December, 2018 after an investigation revealed he had communicated with the Sharks while already serving a previous 12-month ban for the club’s peptide scandal.

He did good things other than the above and got the Sharks first premiership in 2016. Why didn't the Sharks want him back after his deregistration was lifted at end of 2020? I think because they had John Morris doing a good job and their CEO didn't want to go down the Flanagan path again even though most other members of the administration had him in mind to coach in 2021 I think.

That decision so far has been bearing fruit with Fitzy getting the team playing really well.

So if Hook gets the flick - only a faint possibility - Flanagan could be the man - also a faint possibility.

Gomarchin

Juniors
How many times have Bellamy and Robinson missed the semis since they started coaching first grade?
Once maybe twice.

These clubs PLAY to win premierships.

We play to hopefully make the 8 and be competitive.
I'll answer my own questions. Bellamy missed the semis once since 2003. And that was in 2010, when they got stripped all points.

Robinson, since 2013 has missed the semis once, in 2016 when they finished 15th.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I think the halcyon years characterised by happiness, great success, and prosperity and often used to describe an idyllic time in the past that is remembered as better than today has been totally lost to us Dragons fans.

The Taj Mahal, being the spiritual structure which adorns 124 Princes Highway, Beverley Park, was a very prestigious establishment in years gone by - it had virtually everything including fine eatery areas/restaurants, entertainment with high profile people, poker machines and many more attractions coupled with the aura of success and drew many patrons to it over years.

The location of this now not so glamorous club is not ideal when before it stood out like a beacon to the passerbyers in their vehicles and I guess most of the patrons go there to just have a snack and concentrate on trying to get a jackpot on the pokies.

The Sharks however, and this is in my opinion and my observation only, have their club and playing field in an area that is more appropriate to playing rugby league and they have spent quite a sum redeveloping it together with the construction of the profitable adjacent residential development. The people who had the foresight to have all of this done are a credit to the club and that is probably some of the reasons why they have been able to attract a coach like Fitzgibbon and players like Hynes and Finucane. When the club is seen to be running their business properly, it attracts the right people and resources.

Need I say more?
We had Sizzler.

Gareth67

First Grade
It is pretty tough at the moment but you can always rely on change. It will happen. I would never pretend to have the answers for what that change will be and how it will change the fortunes of the club, but it will come at sone stage.
I know you mean well Miller , however ordinarily change should take place much quicker than it has here at St.George Illawarra . We have had more Prime Ministers (?) in the last decade than the Dragons have had successful seasons .

We are at the stage where change will be like the arrival of a Southerly Buster after a very hot stinking day , but it never arrives , so on we go throughout a sweltering night hoping that the following day there will be some relief , but . . .

10 years is a hell of a while to wait for a rugby league club to get its act together , meanwhile the fortunes of the team sink lower and lower as does undoubtedly the expectations of their humble supporters.

Last edited:

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
We were a proud team that won 15 premierships. 11 of those in a row. One of the most popular clubs in the league, oozing with pride. We sold our soul and merged with Illawarra so we could pinch their “star juniors” We are now a laughing stock signing 35 year old rejects from other clubs. Meanwhile the star juniors from Illawarra are mediocre to say the least. We destroyed the club by adding “Illawarra” to the jersey and play out of shitty Wollongong. We also have a shitty leagues club. Meanwhile opposition supporters call us St Merge. We are a laughing stock

denis preston

First Grade
We were a proud team that won 15 premierships. 11 of those in a row. One of the most popular clubs in the league, oozing with pride. We sold our soul and merged with Illawarra so we could pinch their “star juniors” We are now a laughing stock signing 35 year old rejects from other clubs. Meanwhile the star juniors from Illawarra are mediocre to say the least. We destroyed the club by adding “Illawarra” to the jersey and play out of shitty Wollongong. We also have a shitty leagues club. Meanwhile opposition supporters call us St Merge. We are a laughing stock
F..k fill in the missing lines. Li…g I. Th. P..t .

Willow

Assistant Moderator