What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now Gower's being accused of sexual harrassment

Azkatro

First Grade
*groan* When will the Aussie media just give up on trying to drag our sport through the mud? I can't stand the f**king Sydney to Hobart but I can't wait until they start focusing on that instead.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/gower-in-alleged-groping-incident/2005/12/21/1135032080954.html (AAP article)

Gower in alleged groping incident

December 21, 2005 - 9:36PM

Penrith halfback Craig Gower is at the centre of another alcohol-fuelled incident in rugby league, with allegations the international footballer groped the daughter of a prominent former player after a charity golf event.

Gower was at the presentation dinner for the Jack Newton Celebrity Golf Classic at Peregian Waters in the Sunshine Coast when the alleged incident occurred.

The Nine Network reported that the 27-year-old had groped the woman and later became involved in separate heated altercations with both the former player and his son.

It was further alleged that Gower - who was thrown out of the Australian rugby league team for exposing himself to a tourist in 1999 and fined $3000 for breaking a NSW rugby league curfew last year - was kicked out of the official function, had walked around the resort naked and crashed a golf cart.

Gower did not return calls today but yesterday he strenuously denied any wrong doing to AAP.

"I'm up here to have a good time and that's it. What, I can't go out and enjoy myself?," he said.

"At the end of the day I am a normal bloke. I'm no better than anybody else.

"As long as I respect others, that's the main thing."

Today his stance had altered somewhat, admitting in a statement he had pushed the boundaries on Monday night.

In the same statement tournament host Jack Newton said "unfortunately Craig Gower probably crossed the line on one occasion" but described the allegations as unsubstantiated.

Alcohol consumption in rugby league had come under the microscope after ex-Australian coach Wayne Bennett spoke about binge drinking's affect on the NRL last week.

"I'm sick of the drunks and I'm sick of our game being dragged through every media outlet in the country every time some guy behaves badly," Bennett said.

Footage on Nine News recorded event emcee Billy J Smith asking Gower about alcohol on the recent Kangaroo tour to Great Britain and France.

"What about this drinking they reckon has been happening over there?" Smith asked.

Gower's first words were beeped out and he continued: "I'm just trying to get into it now."

Penrith football manager Mick Leary said the club would conduct a full investigation into the alleged incidents and would have a finding by year's end.

"Put it this way - my holidays are gone," Leary said.

"I will put recommendations to the Panthers board for their final decision."

Leary would not confirm if Gower would be sacked if some or all of the allegations proved correct but he made it clear that even if the player was supposedly on a break he was still representing the club.

"Players sign a contract that starts on the first of November and finishes on the thirtieth of October," Leary said.

"They have an NRL contract and I believe they are then representing their club and the NRL for that period of time."

"It's like with any business. When is your down time, when is your free time? I suppose you've got plenty of it as long as you don't go and run out and do something stupid with it."

The NRL tonight backed Penrith's investigation with a spokesperson saying the body would wait until the club passed down its findings before commenting specifically.

Gower's manager Greg Willett tonight described Gower as a "great role model".

"He just denies it. He said that's not how it was. I can only vouch for his character," Willett said.

"It was his bucks night. Everyone was buying him beers and that, he had two days of a bucks party and things like that."

Bennett, who stood down as Australian coach earlier this month, had blasted the drinking culture in rugby league saying it was destroying the game and was the source of an upsurge in player misbehaviour.

"Our game has never been in more disrepute in the last three years because of player behaviour," he said.

"And if coaches and journalists and officials think that we can continue to have a culture in our game of drinking to excess than they live in fairy world."

Just herd it on the ABC FFS.

"I'm sick of the drunks and I'm sick of our game being dragged through every media outlet in the country every time some guy behaves badly," Bennett said.
I agree with Bennet.

Cletus

First Grade
I thought that was allegedly pretty funny. If he's allegedly run around naked and crashed an golf cart into a tree, naked, allegedly, I don't have a huge problem with that. He might though at the moment, allegedly.

How old is Wayne Pearces alleged daughter anyway? It's says woman so I don't allegedly have a problem with that either.

sharkadelic

Juniors
I thought it may have been the Tournament patron's daughter..... I didn't read the "League" identity bit....

shadow grinder

First Grade
just read on foxsports that wayne's daughter is 17!!!!!

if gower did do this..then he is a f**kwit!!!

doing that to anyone ...all be it 40 yrs old ..its not right..but she's 17 ffs.

Misty Bee

First Grade
If we read between the lines....

Bennet had a gutful of the griog culture.

Roos play sh*t in final

Gower comes home and gets on the turps in public

.......has he played his last Rep game?

Cletus

First Grade
It's pretty ironic after Bennett going on about League Identies getting on the piss and running amok. Pearce is a teetotaller and probably the worst person to do it to.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Good point Onan.

I'm no wowser. Heck, young blokes with the pressure of carrying their team for a season, and then as a stand in playmaker for their country in an international final is pressure. Let 'em blow off steam.

Just FFS do it in private! A Charity golf day in front of a host of high profile celebs is NOT in private. Especially when you go the grope on a young girl.

Gower is a dickhead. Full stop. If you wanna hit the piss, do it out of the public arena.

number8

Juniors
Why......?
832_0_h.gif
When Amanda Flynn is at home gagging for it, why.....?​
832_0_h.gif
Craig... Really...???​
832_0_h.gif
Why?​

brook

First Grade
Well I'll wait to hear more before I make up my mind but if its true Gowers a bloody idiot and doesn't deserve to be in the test team

Its not like theres a shortage of talented halves running around at the moment.

brook

First Grade

taipan

Referee
If Gower is confirmed as doing what was alleged- contract riipped up fullstop.He has already had a past indiscretion.If he needs booze all the time,let him spend the rest of spare time in a pub.Bloody idiot if its true.Anyway as far as I care,never to represent at either SOO or National level again.

I agree with Bennett,you dont have to be Einstein to work out the p.. s pots on the Kangaroo tour. I have had a gutfull of these idiots appearing in the news,stuffing up the game I follow.

choc_soldier

Coach
Penrith will not rip up his contract.

But still, these seem to be quite serious allegations. I don't know what to say or think at the moment.