What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now That Weve Seen The Golden Point In Action...

H

Hass

...what does everyone think ahout it.

Despite being a Parramatta supporter I must say that I am a fan of it - the finish to the game was certainly exhillirating, albeit heart-breaking (for Eels fans anyway).

Personally I think we should keep the Golden Point however make a few tweaks to the system. Firstly I would change the competition points system to see a normal win worth 3 points. Then I'd have a win in Extra Time worth 2 points and a loss is Extra Time worth one point. This would be a fairer reflection of the game in my opinion and would still allow for the breath-taking finish.

Before the start of Extra-Time in this match my mate turned to me and said, "I just hope it isn't won with a penalty". Unfortunately that was the way it turned out. Would be worth ruling out a Penalty Goal as a sudden death measure for deciding the match? By that I mean only a try or field goal could win a match instantly meaning a Penalty Goal would only come into play if the two sides were still locked at the end of Extra Time.

However that's just my thoughts on the subject. What does everyone else think? Should we keep the Golden Point, and if so should we make any modifications to the current system?

P.S. Congratulations to Manly - it was an historic win over their arch-rivals.

Cheers.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Hass: Firstly I would change the competition points system to see a normal win worth 3 points. Then I'd have a win in Extra Time worth 2 points and a loss is Extra Time worth one point.

Good ideas Hass but what if its still a draw? If today's match had of run for another two minutes, it would have been a draw. Hard to justify one point for a loss in that case.

H

Hass

Well, if it was still a draw after 10 minutes of Extra Time then both teams would simply receive 1 point. That would encourage teams to play for the win andnot just shut down for the draw.

Soccer has 3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw as standard fair anyway. You could look at it as simply adopting the Soccer system with there still being a chance for one team to get an extra point out of the match.

2 points would be better than 1 and 1 point would be better than none. I'm convinced this is the way it should go in the future.

Cheers.

imported_JoeD

Juniors
I like that idea Hass. When the score is tied 34 all after 80 minutes, I think both teams deserve to get something out of the game. For me a draw would suffice, but if they want to do the extra time thing then I think you've got the right solution Hass.

S

SpaceMonkey

Maybe if we adopted that system we could have 2 points awarded for the bye? While I think that it's better having points for the bye than no points, as it keeps the top of the table more accurate, sometimes i think having the same as for a win is a tad generous.

O

ozbash

hiya spacey :D

a 16th team would solve that problem of the bye (BRING BACK NORTHS ! )

The golden goal ? if it aint broke,why fix it.

a draw is a result. was a hundred years ago,still is today.

Latest posts