What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now that's a performance !

jargan83

Coach
I thought they played a great game tonight

Trent Merrin was awesome, as was Nightingale

So,e of those forward pass calls we're pretty prdinary

mickeylane

Bench
well that performance was from left field!! We honestly showed the signs of a top 8 team..the trick is how do we keep this up!! I still think Fien is a weak link...he made a few errors top halfbacks would not normally make...but to his credit he had a solid game..

Well done Dragons!!

What's Up

Juniors
Well done dragons. Great performance. You should be very proud. Pleasure to watch. Look forward to next week.

Dragons4lyf95

Juniors
yeah totally agre although yes we did play like a top 8 team we need to keep this performance up and yeh fien isnt a halfback hes basicly just filling in the role until we can sign a halfback or move soward there and grab a five eight, but in all honesty soward played really good, hes defence and attack where brilliant ! and hes kicking wow ! if he keeps this up till round 15 and we are in top 8 i think he deserves a 4 yr deal and 1 yr extension goes to pricey

TheRev

Coach
My key observations:
- We definitely out-enthused them, we were out to make a statement, Sharks were not up to it
- Finally the guys implemented much of what we asked for, Merrin was well-supported every time he ran, and it created most of our opportunities & we mixed things up to keep the opposition guessing
- Forward Passes was the whacky one, some of them were quite flat and really unlucky, some of them were more obvious, definitely the offloads were touch and go everytime... somethign we want to work on, but I think the refs were a bit eager, they let some of the Sharks ones go.
- The Sharks really didnt captilise on the ball we kept handing them due to above forward passes, but credit to our defence and eagerness.
- Soward.. still not running at the line like hes meant to, but atleast he made some runs from broken play, they are very opportunistic situations he finds himself in
- Nightingale: WTF Flo back to his ridiculous ways, 2 tries where he had no right, and basically won us the game.
- King is still spending time finding the pace of the game, error rate is quite high, I cant help but wonder if he needs to do 80 minutes instead of coming on mid-game, not sure how we will do that, and not sure how bad his injury was either, hopefully nothing too serious.
- Price's post-match interview, sweet jeebus Pricey can you give atleast some insight into your strategy, and not the mind-numbing cliche spiel we get each week. Clearly they went out with a different attacking strategy this week, but ofcourse he blocks the question with some waffle, he did the same thign last year when we had that 2 week period where we threw the ball around.

Moving forward:
- Most importantly were trying stuff, thats all we ask for, I can handle being beaten if we threw too many offloads, than being beaten playing boring football
- I dont know what to do with Soward & Fein, 1 of them is needed, we just cant throw 2 rookies in at once, Fein is playing the Hornby role of 2012, safe and steady and will get smashed if he needs too, Soward isnt doing enough imo as a ball runner, but his kicking in crunch situations is something we are very reliant on.. if only you could combine both sets of skills into 1 player and free up an opportunity for a genuine ball-runner.

patzz_

Juniors
Top game. Merrin and Nightingale were unreal. Loved Merrin starting, about time! Throw weyman back in even stronger!

Don't get me wrong I love Soward, but I think he tends to wander to close to the ruck and put himself out of play, that makes our players stand flat at times and I thought that led to forward passes and negated alot of plays. I hope he looks into this.

Hope king pulls up ok

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I thought they played a great game tonight

Trent Merrin was awesome, as was Nightingale

So,e of those forward pass calls we're pretty prdinary

To be honest I thought the scoreline flattered the Sharks...we were by far the better team on the night...agree re forward passes...difference was they got away with theirs we didnt....except for some of our forward passes from dummy half (no different from the amount plus that Cameron Smith throws every game) I thought our completion rate was fantastic......still a long way to go yet but Im very proud of the boys on tonights effort

Falcon

G'day, long time reader, first post.
Great win.
Thought we were primed for a good night when sowie ran the ball up off a kick to touch.
Great effort by the boys.
I can see the sports page tomorrow, "dragons resurrected"

gypsy

Bench
I was surprised at how rudderless the Sharks were without Carney. I thought they had plenty of ball players to cover him - Lewis and Graham both have halves experience. Not a good sign for them if Carney's injury is worse than expected.

TheMightyRedV

Juniors
Massive improvement from last week. Some crap calls by the ref, and a period of 5 minutes in the second half we're our marker defence was non-existent...I think shortly after that fifita scored. Our backs jumped in really well in the go forward too. Good signs!

BennyV

Referee
Things to take away
- FLO IS BACK! After a few questionable performances, I was thrilled to see Nightingale safe as houses and pulling off the freaky moves we know he can! Showed that Morris isn't our only weapon.
- SUPER COOPER. He finally decided to stop putting on the brakes before the line and ran straight. Wound the clock back several years in his performance.
- Still need a half but Soward and Fien gelled brilliantly. Soward taking a hit up off the tap was great to see, shows he could be getting his mojo back!
- Seeing Stanley cut through the defence was swell, but would like to see the right side used more mid-field
- Great performance by all the forwards!

I'M SO HAPPY WE FINALLY WON!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
well that performance was from left field!!
No it wasn't. We've shown signs of this since round one.

The main difference tonight was that the team stuck to game plan for the entire 80 minutes.

Not too different to the game plan that we saw in the first half in round two. More offloads, more backs taking the first hit ups, more fast ruck movements up the middle.

To say it was from 'left field' shows that you haven't been watching.

The turning point came at around the 62-63 minute. You tell me what happened then.

TheRev

Coach
I was surprised at how rudderless the Sharks were without Carney. I thought they had plenty of ball players to cover him - Lewis and Graham both have halves experience. Not a good sign for them if Carney's injury is worse than expected.
Yeah but imagine losing Soward in the 1st half, how well would we cope? I mean we would survive but you cant really replace a key role, even though I guess someone must train a little to cover that situation.

gypsy

Bench
Yeah but imagine losing Soward in the 1st half, how well would we cope? I mean we would survive but you cant really replace a key role, even though I guess someone must train a little to cover that situation.

We don't have the likes of Wade Graham and Luke Lewis in our starting side with five eighth experience, so we'd probably struggle. Losing Carney for them shouldn't have near the impact of us losing Soward to injury.

rasaint

Juniors
We were really behind the 8 ball with the referees tonite. We threw one genuine forward pass all game and were called back for a number of fair passes. The tackle that injured Carney was at least a metre for ward to him, the worst forward pass all night and not blown! It was as if the refs seemed to be looking to hit us with rubbish penalties. The one where Gallen got tackled and then got up pushed forward low under our marker was so obviously milked it was embarassing.

What about Luke Lewis drop it cold getting up then soccered the ball forward, chased it then heeled it back.. er play on. Nighty was tackled and grabbed before he could get a catch on the ball during that try opportunity in the 1st half off the Soward kick.

I hope the club really dishes it out in the match report and protests. That was ordinary tonite and we deserve better. Phew! Otherwise I am happy.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
ASADA had nothing to do with it. All that bs and the emotional response was vented in the Sharks big win over the Warriors last week.