What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2 - Worth it or not ??

Thats the problem here where I am, I always push the buy local theme, but some of the retailers here are just so lazy and lack customer service skills which makes it hard for shops like mine.
So I pre ordered local and the rest of the world have it and my local store says "haven't you got your game yet?"

bulldog

Bench
Not all of the bugs have been tracked down from the first game, theres reports of players freezing just like RL1, some other new bugs, no control config, compatibilty issues with certain software and mod-chips and a lack of patches from Sidhe for the first game makes me a little dubious about whether they'll bother fixing any of those issues.
Mine isn't really going to be played until I can re-configure my buttons - I'm considering returning it if they don't pull thier finger out and let us know if they'll make a patch, don't need any more colourful coasters.

Azkatro

First Grade
bulldog said:
Not all of the bugs have been tracked down from the first game, theres reports of players freezing just like RL1, some other new bugs, no control config, compatibilty issues with certain software and mod-chips and a lack of patches from Sidhe for the first game makes me a little dubious about whether they'll bother fixing any of those issues.
Mine isn't really going to be played until I can re-configure my buttons - I'm considering returning it if they don't pull thier finger out and let us know if they'll make a patch, don't need any more colourful coasters.
If you have a Logitech pad, you can remap the buttons.

bulldog

Bench
Azkatro said:
If you have a Logitech pad, you can remap the buttons.

Yup, I can do that with the Logitech and I could probably track down something to work with the Thrustmaster, Gravis and Microsoft too, but why should I have to clog up my sytem with tools to run 1 game?

Every other sports game I've played since I can remember contained the simple option to re-configure controls, theres no reason under the sun they could offer for leaving this out that would sound reasonable to me, how could they have let such a fundamental flaw get away from them?

Azkatro

First Grade
Impellitteri said:
How the hell do ya do this! Please, please, please help! LOL it would be much appreciated
You need the "Logitech Profiler" installed, if not get the software from the website the other person quoted in this thread.

Then load it up and click on the Profile menu and select New. Call it RL2, find the game EXE and select the icon and hit OK.

Now go to Edit menu / Assignments / Commands. Use the following as a guide:

Logitech.jpg

I used the attacking commands as a guide. Go through each one (except for the move controls) and do the following - give it a name (eg Fend is button 5; you can check the button number on the pad itself). Click Record and press the button once (it will appear in the list), then click Stop. Then hit OK and go to the next one until you've done all the attack buttons (don't worry about the combinations either, they take care of themselves).

After you've done all those hit OK to go back to the screen with the controller on it. On the right is the list of buttons, you want to map the PS2 buttons to the controls you have assigned. Use the following diagram:

PS2.gif

Start with Fend which is L2 (or button 7 on the Logitech). Click button 7 in the list, Select Assignment and select Fend (assuming that's the name you gave it) in the menu. Repeat this for each button, again ignoring the direction buttons and combinations.

After you've finished them you can simply click Play RL2 on the top left and it will have the PS2 controls in the game. It will also save these mappings and only apply them to RL2, you just have to make sure the profiler is running when you play the game.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The only issue I've had after playing it for about 5 hours in Franchise Mode is the constant injuries - Hindmarsh, Moi Moi, Cayless, Riddell and Tahu area ll out for at least 4 weeks each.

Other than that, whilst not perfect, it's 1 million times better than the first and at least playable IMO.

I'm grateful to SIDHE for that.

RLdan

Juniors
yes its worth it, mine arrived this morning and i havent stopped playing on it until now.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Eelementary said:
After pre-ordering it in like July, I finally received it today (not happy, Australia Post).
Actually, Australia Post have been execellent. Don't know why you're having a go at them especially considering you got your game on the release date. lol

Sounds like you're pretty happy with the game otherwise.

Raider Azz

Bench
Tighe said:
Much better then last year's. Still compared to sports games like Madden 2006 it is hopeless.
you have to remembered that a game like madden has been polished and improved every year for the last 10 or so years. this is certaintely an improvement on the first game and will only get better in the sequels

lazza

Juniors
what format is everyone playing this on?

PC or PS2?
is it worth investing in a pgamepad for pc?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Willow said:
Actually, Australia Post have been execellent. Don't know why you're having a go at them especially considering you got your game on the release date. lol

Sounds like you're pretty happy with the game otherwise.
Wasn't the release date the 8th?

I got mine on the 9th.

Eelementary

Post Whore
But yeah - generally speaking, I love it.

I love the new passing system - I love crabbing across the field with Timmy Smith, throwing a two-man cut-out pass to Hindmarsh who hits the gap at speed, breaks the line and scores.

Great fun.

RLdan

Juniors
by the way the kicks are quite hard at first but i'm loving the passing on the game.

TeamSatan

Juniors
Worst hundred bucks spent ever

Its clunky and it stops with the RL2 logo all the time

the controls are unresponsive at best

The makers of this bludged their ass off for 2 years and sold us a load of crap

there are so many things that could have been done better

how about an instant replay you can control
just as one example

The boy played it for about one hour then said this is crap and left it

Do not buy this rubbish

PS dont even think about passing it on the 5th tackle because all your players just stand around looking at the ball on the ground

If you like this game you are too rich, easily pleased,a moron and you will marry some fat chick

Eelementary

Post Whore
TeamSatan said:
Worst hundred bucks spent ever

Its clunky and it stops with the RL2 logo all the time

the controls are unresponsive at best

The makers of this bludged their ass off for 2 years and sold us a load of crap

there are so many things that could have been done better

how about an instant replay you can control
just as one example

The boy played it for about one hour then said this is crap and left it

Do not buy this rubbish

PS dont even think about passing it on the 5th tackle because all your players just stand around looking at the ball on the ground

If you like this game you are too rich, easily pleased,a moron and you will marry some fat chick

(1) Really mature, with the name-calling.

(2) So...people who disagree with you are fools? The majority of people in this thread who disagree with you are fools? Interesting point...

:roll:

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I'd have to say I'm dissapointed.
By the look of things most of the larger budget(I assume) and time has gone on the player models(which are very good btw). The game remains almost the same as the first with very little improvement and franchise mode feels like an amateur job.
More time should have been spent on refining the gameplay and less on the models as they're going to have to do new ones for the next-gen machines anyway.
Also they need to get some lessons from the Pro Evo guys about how use RenderWare.

Latest posts