What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

T-Boon

Coach
If Smith played into Fox's hands, why did Murdoch go all out attacking him....Smith was doing fine, that's why News wanted him gone.

Smith was great but was seriously naive. He came in thinking the game wanted to grow. But that smells too much like a threat to these clubs.
He needed someone to tell him that the clubs haven't survived this long by allowing threats to hang around. They have the survival instincts of cockroaches.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
The die hards all get and watch it on FOX... we need as many games on FTA as possible to grow the game to neutrals, casuals.. kids etc...

even if all 8 games were on FTA would any of us drop fox ?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Smith was great but was seriously naive. He came in thinking the game wanted to grow. But that smells too much like a threat to these clubs.
He needed someone to tell him that the clubs haven't survived this long by allowing threats to hang around. They have the survival instincts of cockroaches.

Smith wasn't naive at all, this is the bs the News media peddled to destabilize him, particularly clowns like Paul Kent who thinks he runs the game. The media keep pushing this perception of the game and Smith. Soon enough people started to believe it.
The game is poorer for not having Smith to stand up to News and clubs like the Bulldogs and Roosters. Now we have an NRL board with club input which again addresses the short sighted club issues and not the big picture of the whole game.
Don't forget Smith was trying to get clubs to improve their corporate governance eg. Parramatta,
He handled the drugs issue with Cronulla brilliantly compared to the so called pros from AFL.
He linked the game to touch footy and was chasing the big bucks from government to help the game and stadiums grow.
Oh that's right he didn't know the Australian captains name at the start....big f'n deal.
Is Todd Greenberg so far ahead of Smith? He must be because the News media never bag him, guess they got what they wanted.

Brutus

Referee
Mind boggles.. doesnt it..

Surely you could structure a media deal.. to have some special weeks where FTA have 4 games... like anzac week and easter week. etc..

Thats basically the reason we have no Thursday night game before good friday.. as nine only have 3 games a week and want to show the good friday game.. so the game suffers..

its not that hard..

I know radio isn't rated much these days, but it's interesting to see Sydney stations 2SM and 2UE (talking lifestyle) both calling AFL. Triple M was also too entrenched in fumbleball to get rid of it despite taking on the NRL rights as well. All of these networks were rejected by the NRL once upon a time for exclusive rights. In some cases, repeatedly rejected.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Smith was out of his depth as was Grant

Once again he got a fta deal bigger than afl's. Sure seemed out of his depth lol. The way Murdoch spit the dummy should tell you smith had his number, bigger balls by the commission and we could have been looking at a $2billion plus media deal and more than enough money to expand the game, not to mention a CEO that wouldnt have caved to the clubs and agreed to even more power back in their hands.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anyone know where Smith is working now?

Surely such a talented Sports Administrator wouldn't be out of a job for very long- maybe he is running the EPL by now...

Did you see his cv? I'm pretty sure he's not working at maccas Lol

From September 2005 to March 2009, Smith was Head of Bank of Scotland Treasury Australia (later part of Lloyds International Pty Ltd.[2] He was Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of Lloyds International Pty Ltd. (formerly known as HBOS Australia Pty Ltd), a subsidiary of Lloyds Banking Group from March 2009 to November 2012.[2] As CEO, Smith had responsibility for 10 countries, 1500 staff and managing assets of $A50 billion.[1]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Smith_(executive)

El Diablo

Post Whore
Once again he got a fta deal bigger than afl's.
so what?

Gyngell knew he was dealing with an amateur and that would never be anywhere near what he would pay in the end

i can't believe you think a Welsh banker knows more about TV than a bloke who turned 9's fortunes around

BuffaloRules

Coach
Did you see his cv? I'm pretty sure he's not working at maccas Lol

From September 2005 to March 2009, Smith was Head of Bank of Scotland Treasury Australia (later part of Lloyds International Pty Ltd.[2] He was Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of Lloyds International Pty Ltd. (formerly known as HBOS Australia Pty Ltd), a subsidiary of Lloyds Banking Group from March 2009 to November 2012.[2] As CEO, Smith had responsibility for 10 countries, 1500 staff and managing assets of $A50 billion.[1]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Smith_(executive)

Thanks for the history lesson

I think he might be presently between jobs...although no doubt he was given a nice golden handshake on his way out the NRL door considering the way Head Office throws money around....

He could always go on to open up a pie shop like former CEO Neil Whittaker I guess...

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
so what?

Gyngell knew he was dealing with an amateur and that would never be anywhere near what he would pay in the end

i can't believe you think a Welsh banker knows more about TV than a bloke who turned 9's fortunes around

So we hired Todd Greenberg, I feel safe already.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Thanks for the history lesson

I think he might be presently between jobs...although no doubt he was given a nice golden handshake on his way out the NRL door considering the way Head Office throws money around....

He could always go on to open up a pie shop like former CEO Neil Whittaker I guess...

I bet you think he threw money about at head office because News Ltd press said so along with self interested clubs who couldn't get their own way because he was forcing them to get their houses in order. The greedy clubs wanted to get their hands on money he was putting aside for future investment into the WHOLE of the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I bet you think he threw money about at head office because News Ltd press said so along with self interested clubs who couldn't get their own way because he was forcing them to get their houses in order. The greedy clubs wanted to get their hands on money he was putting aside for future investment into the WHOLE of the game.

And they did,once Greenburg took over, he has totally raided the money put away so there is no legacy left from their tv deal, again.

So what el dribbler? Seriously? He got more money than afl! The first time ever! No nrl CEO has managed that. The only criticism of that part of the deal was he gave nine an option to sell the game to fox. That was dumb. He should have let fox vent and steam then offered to,swap the fta Saturday game for a ninth game on a Sunday night for nine and given fox back the exclusive Saturday line up and simucast for $1.2billlion take it or leave it. And Telstra no you won't get sponsorship thrown in for free, it's worth $12million a year if you want it. He deserved the Chance to see the deal through, if he had delivered it he would have gone down as the best nrl CEO of all time.

BuffaloRules

Coach

I can make up my own mind...
Have you seen the NRL published results in their annual reports?

Expenses went through the roof on his watch...

They have got rid of a half dozen of his Management appointments that were not replaced in the eighteen months since he has left...

Greenberg is doing the job for half Smith's salary...

Seriously don't get the love for the bloke....What legacy has he left behind?What changes did he implement the three years he was in the role?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The admin costs for nrl last year were more than at anytime during smith's time in charge! $900k increase on smith's last year to Greenburgs first year. The admin cost to revenue has been at 6% throughout smith's reign (was 8% under gallop) and has remained at 6% under Greenburg. It's a furphy to suggest he was frivously spending money on the games administration.

$925million record afl beating fta deal is his legacy, and the money he left in the bank that Greenburg has passed away already.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The admin costs for nrl last year were more than at anytime during smith's time in charge! $900k increase on smith's last year to Greenburgs first year. The admin cost to revenue has been at 6% throughout smith's reign (was 8% under gallop) and has remained at 6% under Greenburg. It's a furphy to suggest he was frivously spending money on the games administration.

$925million record afl beating fta deal is his legacy, and the money he left in the bank that Greenburg has passed away already.

So what?

Who is talking up Greenberg ?Get rid of that idiot as well...

It's like saying Kevin Rudd was a good PM because Julia Gllard who followed him was worse....

The NRL expenses increased In dollars terms dramatically under Smiths watch....you are arare of that...

I'm seriously asking what legacy did Smith leave behind... What were the good things he will be remembered for? Expansion, junior development, increased crowds....??

Was it the $700k that Shane Richardson got paid to write a report about the games future that was completely ignored for example?

You keep talking about the $925 mil.... They ended up with $650 mil due to wriggle room clauses he allowed in the deal and that Gyngel ultimately used to pay much less money..

Latest posts