What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

BuffaloRules

Coach
It should be on FTA on Easter Monday... doesn't have to be Ch 9 ...

I dont think Fox would blow up if Ch 10 simulcast it..

Actually I'd give 10 sat night 7.30pm game as well.. it hardly affects Fox numbers..

Didn't Fox pay 9 $40 mil a year for the Sat night game?

Only the NRL could manage to lose control over broadcasting rights for their own content...

Last edited:

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Didn't Fox pay 9 $50 mil a year for the Sat night game?

Only the NRL could lose control over broadcasting rights for their own game...

I think 9 was wanting $40 mil so not sure how close it ended up getting to that amount. There has never been any mention of it.

If nine did keep the sat night, Foxtel could of done what they said and offered massive unders out of spite. I'm hoping the nrl bosses see the light and offer a 4th game to fta channel sometime soon. Maybe channel 10.

Billythekid

First Grade
Didn't Fox pay 9 $40 mil a year for the Sat night game?

Only the NRL could manage to lose control over broadcasting rights for their own content...

Which in retrospect was a waste of money. As we can see this year basically simulcast games barely impact foxs viewership. Even if there was a FTA game on Saturday they would still get good ratings for super Saturday.

If anything we should be looking at adding a 9th game to sell to fox exclusively on Sunday night and getting 9 to show a game on Saturday night next time around.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think 9 was wanting $40 mil so not sure how close it ended up getting to that amount. There has never been any mention of it.

If nine did keep the sat night, Foxtel could of done what they said and offered massive unders out of spite. I'm hoping the nrl bosses see the light and offer a 4th game to fta channel sometime soon. Maybe channel 10.

Oh no... Fox might pay the NRL unders...

Better they drop their bundle and do everything Fox demands...

BuffaloRules

Coach
Which in retrospect was a waste of money. As we can see this year basically simulcast games barely impact foxs viewership. Even if there was a FTA game on Saturday they would still get good ratings for super Saturday.

If anything we should be looking at adding a 9th game to sell to fox exclusively on Sunday night and getting 9 to show a game on Saturday night next time around.

Makes you think that the FTA games are not worth a great deal unless they have exclusivity....

But then Fox won't pay as much unless they can simulcast all the games..

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Channel 9 are making more money from 3 live games then they where from the delayed games.

So decrease the total viewership is your plan.....that will also lessen what C9 make from the NRL and will lessen the next FTA tv deal.

You are suggesting delayed games? Clueless

Channel 9 are making more money from live games because it's a new tv deal. I'm guessing you were at the negotiating table when c9 were told by the nrl they will pay more for what they don't want?

Total Friday night Tv Viewership has increased due to Foxtel simulcast not by getting rid of delayed viewership. Look at channel 9 tv ratings decrease. The latest deal suits fox more than c9. I hate to break it to you but most Queenslanders don't give a shit about a tigers v cronulla (nsw v nsw) game. And probably vice versa. In perfect world I feel that 1 game on a Thursday and/or Friday should be a broncs/storm/cowboys/titans v nsw game.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Oh no... Fox might pay the NRL unders...

Better they drop their bundle and do everything Fox demands...

Haha that's all well and good saying that but you'd be the first to whinge about the nrl being incompetent and potentially getting a lower tv deal. It's called a negotiation. News ltd wants you to think they got what they wanted but somewhere in the middle would be the real truth.

Billythekid

First Grade
Makes you think that the FTA games are not worth a great deal unless they have exclusivity....

But then Fox won't pay as much unless they can simulcast all the games..

We should definitely simulcast all games. The benefits are too big to ignore and we can charge fox a lot for it.

I agree that the FTA games are worth less than they used to be but having a 4th game helps somewhat. Also I think that's partially to do with games being simulcast but also because ch9s cast is straight up garbage. If they delivered a better product they would get better ratings.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Haha that's all well and good saying that but you'd be the first to whinge about the nrl being incompetent and potentially getting a lower tv deal. It's called a negotiation. News ltd wants you to think they got what they wanted but somewhere in the middle would be the real truth.

Sometimes during negotiations you need to actually call a bluff occasionally and not roll over immeadiately...

What happens to Fox subscriptions without NRL?

BuffaloRules

Coach
We should definitely simulcast all games. The benefits are too big to ignore and we can charge fox a lot for it.

I agree that the FTA games are worth less than they used to be but having a 4th game helps somewhat. Also I think that's partially to do with games being simulcast but also because ch9s cast is straight up garbage. If they delivered a better product they would get better ratings.

They need multiple FTA networks broadcasting NRL.... Nine stitched them up the last time to prevent this...

I would also have at least one game exclusive to FTA.... The Ninth game would be worth more if this was the case rather than as just another throw in for Fox

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Absolutely agree with you that Foxtel would die in qld and nsw if nrl tried that but also be sure that Foxtel would probably of doubled there spending and promotion with the afl just out of spite. It's all well and good to try and bluff your way in negotiations but I don't think the clubs and the players (stakeholders) were willing to test the massive potential downside. I felt the nrl bosses were willing to call the bluff of Foxtel but due to internal pressure smith resigned and Grant was forced to get a deal done.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
They need multiple FTA networks broadcasting NRL.... Nine stitched them up the last time to prevent this...

I would also have at least one game exclusive to FTA.... The Ninth game would be worth more if this was the case rather than as just another throw in for Fox

I'd like to see channel 10 get the 4th game on Saturday and the nrl media dept get the tv/streaming rights. Would put us in a lot better position come next tv deal.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I would like to see 10 get a future Sunday night spot at 6pm EST which could be the slot for the Ninth game...

In respect of the last TV deal, Fox seemed to get everything they wanted:

- exclusive Super Saturday
- Ridiculous crowd unfriendly Friday 6pm time slot
- Simulcast all games...
- paid way under compared to AFL...

NRL negotiators must have been amateurs ...

Perth Red

Post Whore
all because Smith and Grant went rogue

Smith got a great fta deal. Before we could see what he'd do to fox and Telstra he got rolled. I get the sense he knew the value of the game and was prepared to get from fox what it is worth, hence the Murdoch dummy spit. Fox is screwed without nrl and they know it, as did Smith.

The original fta part of the deal was significantly more than afl got from Seven. Afl fta $150mill a year, nrl $185 mill a year. Imagine what we could have to ended up with if he got the same result with Telstra and fox!

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Anyone know where Smith is working now?

Surely such a talented Sports Administrator wouldn't be out of a job for very long- maybe he is running the EPL by now...

El Diablo

Post Whore
Smith got a great fta deal. Before we could see what he'd do to fox and Telstra he got rolled. I get the sense he knew the value of the game and was prepared to get from fox what it is worth, hence the Murdoch dummy spit. Fox is screwed without nrl and they know it, as did Smith.

The original fta part of the deal was significantly more than afl got from Seven. Afl fta $150mill a year, nrl $185 mill a year. Imagine what we could have to ended up with if he got the same result with Telstra and fox!
Smith got played by Gyngell

Paullyboy

Coach
Sometimes during negotiations you need to actually call a bluff occasionally and not roll over immeadiately...

What happens to Fox subscriptions without NRL?
Given what's going on with TV in the modern world, I fail to see how Foxtel will survive for much longer.

If you took the NRL away, I reckon it'd die within 12 months.

Latest posts