What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

When it comes to women's sport any coverage is great. Sure it would be nice if the club game got this sort of attention but it simply won't. 600K+ people being exposed to women's RL is a fantastic step forward for the game. IMO making a 3 game series like the men's will only increase its profile.

Who knows maybe in a few years we will be seeing 1 million or more watching women's SOO. Maybe that would make the game wake up to the potential.
It peaked over 1 million.

colly

Juniors
I can remember ratings were underwhelming back in 01 when we had three Sunday night Origins. Even the Aflie comeback game wasn't as big as they anticipated.

Nothing was worse than in 98 though when Origin was played on Friday night. Worst Origin ratings since the 80's if I recall correctly. Friday and Saturday nights would be the worst slots to play it in.
You know I remember that friday game. I thought we were odds (NSW) on. I saw it at my local.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
We can have a rep break and still play Origin on Wednesday nights.

Wed night: Origin
Friday night: Women's Origin (peaked at 1 million viewers - very good Friday night footy numbers)
Saturday night: Pacific Championship Double Header (again, pretty good viewing numbers for these games)
Sunday: England v New Zealand (week 1 in Denver but week 2 and 3 in NZ which will rate pretty well on a Sunday afternoon)

Perth Red

Post Whore
We can have a rep break and still play Origin on Wednesday nights.

Wed night: Origin
Friday night: Women's Origin (peaked at 1 million viewers - very good Friday night footy numbers)
Saturday night: Pacific Championship Double Header (again, pretty good viewing numbers for these games)
Sunday: England v New Zealand (week 1 in Denver but week 2 and 3 in NZ which will rate pretty well on a Sunday afternoon)

You're still diluting the nrl product over 3 rounds with stars missing for games the weekend before.

Starkers

Bench
the dilution argument is losing traction in my view. this past weekend everyone in the NRL, with the exception of the usual negative turds, sat back and lapped up the rep stuff. it was fantastic.

3 weeks in a row is clearly working with not just the wallabies, but the all blacks and springboks too. to an extent both codes can possibly arrange synchronised rep window and fill rectangular fields and f**k the AFL right off.

Diesel

Referee
Does the current broadcast agreement state game 2 is Sunday night? If so, suck shit 9, perhaps give the fans what they want and a twilight GF/Sat night and Sunday arvo for weeks 2&3 for the finals.... merkins

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You're still diluting the nrl product over 3 rounds with stars missing for games the weekend before.

I'd play Origin three weeks in a row:

Week 1: a week after the final NRL round before the rep break
  • Friday: Women's Origin
  • Saturday: Pacific Championship
  • Sunday: New Zealand v England
  • Wednesday: QLD v NSW (10 days after the last NRL match)
Week 2
  • Wednesday: QLD v NSW
Week 3
  • Wednesday: QLD v NSW
Then the NRL starts again - yes, players will be backingup from Origin - but only once instead of three times, yes there will be some players rested but again, only once instead of three times. No system is perfect but at least this way we get the good midweek ratings for Origin (which drives the value of rugby league in Australia) and there are no players missing from the NRL due to a mandatory stand-down of players.

I assume Monday or Thursday Origin would work too as they are midweek slots with no major competition.

El Diablo

Post Whore
no idea as i've never seen them combine streaming and TV

plus you only had to watch it for 1 minute to be counted

Latest posts