What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

Like i said they had $650 mill revenue last year and have put in place a grants system that means $20mill on suns is noth8ng to them. You’ll be waiting a long time if you think it’s going to empty their cofffers!
Oh trust me it will be in the long term if they continue to throw money down the black hole which is them and the midgets.Its the financial policy of the mad house, and any accountant worth his salt wouldn't endorse it. Its not the way the way to run a business.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Afl have mitigated some of the risk of expansion with things like the ticket tax and unequal grants systems. Clubs like the eagles with $65mill revenue and $12mill profit are not stressing about money going to the suns.
Afl recognised same time as ARL that they needed to be a national code with two teams in major capital cities.
You can mock as much as you like but a $300mil gap in revenue should be enough to tell you how it is working out for both codes,
It's not relevant to NRL so of little interest to me or most on here. You seem somewhat AFL fixated.
Why would I reply to a post on afl?

Starkers

Bench
No doubt if the tv deals reduced both codes would have to cut their clothes accordingly. Afl have mitigated some of the risk of expansion with things like the ticket tax and unequal grants systems. Clubs like the eagles with $65mill revenue and $12mill profit are not stressing about money going to the suns.
Afl recognised same time as ARL that they needed to be a national code with two teams in major capital cities. Sadly SL killed the arl’s ambitions but afl have a very long term strategy at play to be Australia’s footy code. You can mock as much as you like but a $300mil gap in revenue should be enough to tell you how it is working out for both codes,

the drop in tv audiences is significant for them and will cause them pain in 5years unless resolved. Good to see nrl viewing holding solid. We still have barely tapped some states with fta viewing.

Afl 2017 annual report

2017 afl surplus $48.8mill

So just to confirm...NRL and AFL have roughly the same surplus, only AFL has twice the revenue?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh trust me it will be in the long term if they continue to throw money down the black hole which is them and the midgets.Its the financial policy of the mad house, and any accountant worth his salt wouldn't endorse it. Its not the way the way to run a business.

Your making the assumption that the ninth game AFL sell inst worth more than it is costing them to run the two clubs. If it is then it is very good business wouldn't you say? They have reached their national expansion target and made money from it. End of day they had very few choices for two new teams locations other than another Qland and NSW club. Melbourne cant cope with its current over-saturation, Perth and Adelaide couldn't cope with a third club, Tas and NT are too small so that was their only option to get a 9th game to sell.

taipan

Referee
er no, last year AFL made a $48.8mill surplus and NRL made a $3.7mill loss

And the year before was there not a loss by the AFL? Despite their huge revenue.
And the NRLs revenue in 2017 was a lot less, the new TV deal money not coming in til 2018.

El Diablo

Post Whore
er no, last year AFL made a $48.8mill surplus and NRL made a $3.7mill loss
Your making the assumption that the ninth game AFL sell inst worth more than it is costing them to run the two clubs. If it is then it is very good business wouldn't you say? They have reached their national expansion target and made money from it. End of day they had very few choices for two new teams locations other than another Qland and NSW club. Melbourne cant cope with its current over-saturation, Perth and Adelaide couldn't cope with a third club, Tas and NT are too small so that was their only option to get a 9th game to sell.
It's not relevant to NRL so of little interest to me or most on here. You seem somewhat AFL fixated.
Why would I reply to a post on afl?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Then your prior points have been diluted somewhat.

Not really, my initial response to someone else talking about financial performance of AFL and risk to that of having expansion teams requiring large funding stands. They have a sht load of money and can afford them, as seen in last 5 year financial performance and revenue level. They get a sht load more income than NRL and will continue to do so for the next 5 years. Spending $40mill on the Suns and GWS to realise some of that revenue, whilst meeting their national strategic goal, is affordable for them and wont change anytime soon.

One can only hope the NRL one day is able to realise such revenue levels and fund expansion of the game as well as they do.

None of which is anything to do with NRL TV ratings so lets leave it there and happy to discuss the relative merits of revenue and expenditure across the codes in the fight club if people choose to do so.

taipan

Referee
Not really, my initial response to someone else talking about financial performance of AFL and risk to that of having expansion teams requiring large funding stands. They have a sht load of money and can afford them, as seen in last 5 year financial performance and revenue level. They get a sht load more income than NRL and will continue to do so for the next 5 years. Spending $40mill on the Suns and GWS to realise some of that revenue, whilst meeting their national strategic goal, is affordable for them and wont change anytime soon.

One can only hope the NRL one day is able to realise such revenue levels and fund expansion of the game as well as they do.

None of which is anything to do with NRL TV ratings so lets leave it there and happy to discuss the relative merits of revenue and expenditure across the codes in the fight club if people choose to do so.

Judging by the increase in revenue including 29% in sponsorship.$ 20.7m to $26.7m in teh first 6 months.
Commercial revenue $42m in 2017 to $60.1m in 2018.Throw in broadcast revenue from $103m 2017 half year mark to $161.6m in 2018.Think revenue is closing the gap.

El Diablo

Post Whore
says the arse clown who never shuts up about AFL in every topic lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
In the first year of their new broadcast cycle, in the last year of their former broadcast deal they made a loss, just like the NRL.

like I said take it the fight club, now how about those nrl tv ratings?
137k in Perth fr Origin1 was good, slightly above the avg.

Latest posts