What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 360 + other footy shows

Noise

Coach
I agree with Kent with this eligibility garbage.

If you want to play for Samoa or Tonga that's fine you just can't play origin.

A line needs to be drawn.

If you want to play origin the requirement is you also have to play for Australia.
Yep. And Samoa / Tonga can’t be considered 2nd tier nations for ever.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Yep. And Samoa / Tonga can’t be considered 2nd tier nations for ever.
It's getting to the stage where it is Samoa and Tonga anyway.

Blue v Red.

How many players in the origin this year will be playing for Samoa or Tonga sounds like a dozen which is close to a third of the Origin teams which is ridiculous.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I agree with Kent with this eligibility garbage.

If you want to play for Samoa or Tonga that's fine you just can't play origin.

A line needs to be drawn.

If you want to play origin the requirement is you also have to play for Australia.

He had a fair point, particularly with showing your allegiance to Australia and also the dig at the Rugby World Cup. Quite interesting.

However one of the jurnos said the line of "He wont get another 50k not playing Origin", something along those lines.

I mean is Origin about the passion or getting extra money?

I applaud these players for representing their country of heritage/birth and making this perhaps the most open World Cup in history but I wish people would get out of their ears and stop saying something like "Well you wont be playing Origin if you play for NZ, Tonga, Samoa". Pleeeeasse.

That really annoys me. I mean these players probably watched these countries play in the last two World Cups, mid year test and watched some of the best RL Games which has influenced their decision to play for their country of heritage.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Why can’t you identify as being both from NSW/QLD and Tonga/Samoa?
Last time I checked NSW/QLD was in Australia

Happy for any player to represent their heritage if they wish, all the power to them. But then wanting to play in SOO as well just makes a mockery out of the whole concept.

Leaving it the way it is give it 10 years and at least half the players running around for the Origin teams will then be playing for another nation internationally. You will start seeing players being starters for the Kangaroos but then never getting a game of SOO.

Why can’t you identify as being both from NSW/QLD and Tonga/Samoa?
I agree. You can be passionately NSWer or QLDer and still identify with a Pacific Nation; you can’t tell me a kid growing up in Mt Druitt but identifying with their parents heritage is any less a NSWelsham as someone growing up in Armidale.

I though the whole thing about SOO is you hated the other team, not viewed them as a temporarily adversary you embraced at the end of the match as someone you identify with…

Noise

Coach
I agree. You can be passionately NSWer or QLDer and still identify with a Pacific Nation; you can’t tell me a kid growing up in Mt Druitt but identifying with their parents heritage is any less a NSWelsham as someone growing up in Armidale.

I though the whole thing about SOO is you hated the other team, not viewed them as a temporarily adversary you embraced at the end of the match as someone you identify with…
So if your argument is that pacific island nations can identify as both, (growing up in NSW but parents from Tonga)then why not the same rule for those that want to identify with their Kiwi or English parents heritage?

strider

Post Whore
So if your argument is that pacific island nations can identify as both, (growing up in NSW but parents from Tonga)then why not the same rule for those that want to identify with their Kiwi or English parents heritage?
There is a purpose - to improve the competition of league at a world scale - nz and england dont need that help .... and i think its a good reason to do it.

But if they want to make a set of rules around it, then yeah you can include nz and english players if they fit.

yy_cheng

Coach
It will deminish one or the other

If u make it if u play soo and u cant play for your heritage country then theres really no point having a world cup. Just a tri nation between englsnd, nz and oz

Then soo will be stroong. But players like moses, duelli etc wont represemt lebnon

This way the world cup will now have strong competition and if u restrict these players to play soo, soo will be weak.

If push came to shove, i reckom alot of the Polynesian boys will stick together and sit out soo.

Then soo will be a super country vs origin

This is sport and entertainment not going to war

yy_cheng

Coach
This i think should be dropped

yy_cheng

Coach
They should be s restriction on how many generations back u can go to claim your hertage.

Like if you are 2nd or 3rd generation aussie then you cant

Otherwise everyone can play for africa

strider

Post Whore
They should be s restriction on how many generations back u can go to claim your hertage.

Like if you are 2nd or 3rd generation aussie then you cant

Otherwise everyone can play for africa
I believe there is - back to grand parents.

I think they have to define some rules around SOO that if you are born/play substantial junior footy from a young age in nsw or qld then you can play SOO ... no one like Sam Burgess blowing in from the UK getting to play SOO .... if that includes kiwis then so be it .... you should be entitled to have some foreign heritage also and encouraged to respect that.

But no flip flopping. You pick a country to play for and thats it. ... you just happen to also be allowed to play Origin cos your league career originated in nsw or qld

Latest posts