What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 360 + other footy shows

Legal Eel

Juniors
Smith also won some preliminary finals (four of them) so his losses in those games don’t prove he couldn’t win them. Likewise his grand final losses don’t prove anything.
This is some world class prevaricating from the forum's great contrarian.

Brian Smith lost four grand finals at there different clubs with three different playing groups.

Added to this, the circumstances were entirely different each time:

1) St George in 92 were clear outsiders;
2) St George in 93 were probably mild favourites;
3) Parra in 2001 were overwhelming favourites; and
4) Roosters in 2010 were mild outsiders.

The one common denominator in all these was Brian Smith

Really, this particular factual matrix is probably the one time that we can conclude with certainty that a coach was incapable of coaching a grand final victory.

You can argue the speculative reasons why this is the case, but the inevitable conclusion from the above is that Brian Smith couldn't coach a grand final victory.

Any attempt to argue otherwise is just another episode of "Pou's Counterfactuals"...

Bandwagon

Staff member
Likening a grand final to a random event such as a coin toss is just your staggering ignorance on display.

So what would you call being unable to recognise the exact same application of your own flawed logic to the point where you label it staggering ignorance?

A self own?

Legal Eel

Juniors
So what would you call being unable to recognise the exact same application of your own flawed logic to the point where you label it staggering ignorance?

A self own?
So you are going with the equivalency of a grand final with a coin toss?

No tactical acumen or preparation is necessary? It's just pure luck on the day?

King-Gutho94

Coach
This is some world class prevaricating from the forum's great contrarian.

Brian Smith lost four grand finals at there different clubs with three different playing groups.

Added to this, the circumstances were entirely different each time:

1) St George in 92 were clear outsiders;
2) St George in 93 were probably mild favourites;
3) Parra in 2001 were overwhelming favourites; and
4) Roosters in 2010 were mild outsiders.

The one common denominator in all these was Brian Smith

Really, this particular factual matrix is probably the one time that we can conclude with certainty that a coach was incapable of coaching a grand final victory.

You can argue the speculative reasons why this is the case, but the inevitable conclusion from the above is that Brian Smith couldn't coach a grand final victory.

Any attempt to argue otherwise is just another episode of "Pou's Counterfactuals"...
Story about the 2010 GF. And the contrasting styles of Bennett and Smith.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So you are going with the equivalency of a grand final with a coin toss?

No tactical acumen or preparation is necessary? It's just pure luck on the day?
I think it’s fair to assess that Smith reduced his teams’ chances of victory in big games. The data is inconclusive but at least supports this assessment.

But to say it proves he was incapable of winning a premiership is absolutely wrong. It is incorrect as well.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Imagine dragging such a simple conclusion into the mathematical mire...

Keep being contrary.
Well hold on mate, you’re the one claiming the data supports an absolute conclusion. If I’m ‘contrary’ it’s because the accepted narrative is demonstrably, mathematically wrong.

Last edited:

Legal Eel

Juniors
We hold on mate, you’re the one claiming the data supports an absolute conclusion. If I’m ‘contrary’ it’s because the accepted narrative is demonstrably, mathematically wrong.
In that case, no one can ever express an opinion that someone is incapable of doing something, unless that someone is dead.

On that basis, I concede you are right...you have successfully defined a field that can mathematically destroy people's opinions, even when those opinions are based on relatively obvious factual sets.

you have won the internet argument and restored Brian Smith's reputation to the point where he can be regarded as a coach capable of winning grand finals.

Huzzah! Someone should alert Brian that the monkey is off his back and that he was actually a grand final winner all along, he just couldn't show it!

As your reward, here is your dopamine hit: You are masterful, indefatigable and indefeasible.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Of course that's wrong, I was being facetious to illustrate the stupidity of the position, but that was obviously a little to much for you.

Don't worry though, I'm sure Uncle Pou is very proud that you have come to his defence

He doesn't need my defence.

'Cause you aint that bright mate.

Latest posts