What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 360

The flogging against parra was unforgivable and an absolute low point.
The game against storm I don't mind, we too were missing our many origin players and we were in that game up until the last 15 minutes.
The Easts game was disappointing and showed we are nowhere near them at the moment.
We have definitely fallen apart this year again but I am hoping we now get our shit back together and show the form we had in the first 10 weeks. That still btw won't be enough to win the comp probably but at least we would be going down swinging.
If in fact we go down "swinging" as you say, I will be happy that we had a real crack.

G
Few things I’d answer here - first, yes Mary’s use of the bench leave a lot to be desired, both in terms of tactics in game and long term strategy blooding younger players.
However - Luc was being given time on field early in the year, but his defence and fitness weren’t up to scratch. Went back to reserves, and has improved both significantly. He was back on the bench befor Paul got injured, been in team since round 16, minutes were 28, 80, 17, 80, played 24 mins vs roosters.
Mann had a regular role resting Jack for the first part of the year, probably averaged 20/25 minutes then. IMO It probably would’ve been better for him to be on the wing and have Lawrie or Sele in that role, but it was effective.
Whether being played for 7 minutes demoralised players is pure speculation. None of us know either way.
Seibold has had a utility getting limited minutes on his bench most of the year too. Storm not that dissimilar with how they’ve used Stimson. Major diffference is the average mins for other teams is probably 4-7 minutes more, and they’ve been used in general more intelligently. But you can find quite a few games for both those teams where 1 player got 0 mins, and plenty under 10 mins.
It’s not a fact the only way they get a run is injury. If you go through how other teams do it, it’s very often dictated by injury and suspensions too. Mary is too conservative bringing them through I agree, and he needed to trust the younger players more and earlier.
Good analysis
So what you're saying is that if Widdop was fit, Mann would still be playing minor minutes with his main role to give JDB a rest?
And if Paul Vaughn was fit you're saying that Lucky would still be in the 17 but who would have made way?

My man Gasnier

Juniors
Pretty dramatic when you consider the other 3 teams in the 4
None of them have stumbled like we have and NONE of them get flogged by big scores.
Even if they lose, it is usually in a gritty close contest.
So far results are going our way because Penrith have also collapsed.
With Canterbury and Newcastle to go, there is no excuse not be in the 4.
Like you said, we are a good side.

Are you kidding? Roosters have been done by 24, souths by 20 (have now lost three in a row) and Melbourne by 20. Would you you say they were gritty close losses?

It's been pointed out by others on here that it is an open competition and anyone's to win which is 100% correct.

The Damo

Juniors
G

Good analysis
So what you're saying is that if Widdop was fit, Mann would still be playing minor minutes with his main role to give JDB a rest?
And if Paul Vaughn was fit you're saying that Lucky would still be in the 17 but who would have made way?
For Mann I suspect yes - or on the wing in place of JP. In my opinion the best spot for him with Widdop fit is wing, utility or if centre then in place of Aitken.
And if Vaughan was fit then bench would be what he picked for roosters and warriors
LAM
Latimore
Luc
Mann/
But if he was to start Mann probably Lawrie. Knowing Mary pretty good chance could be JP, Field, Nighty though.

Are you kidding? Roosters have been done by 24, souths by 20 (have now lost three in a row) and Melbourne by 20. Would you you say they were gritty close losses?

It's been pointed out by others on here that it is an open competition and anyone's to win which is 100% correct.
You are entering the realm of subjectivity.
I know for a fact that even when Melbourne got beat by 20, they never gave up.
Roosters got done tonight but hung tough to the end.
How do you explain the Parramatta loss? I call it surrender. Embarrassing.
So do you still want to argue the toss?

My man Gasnier

Juniors
You are entering the realm of subjectivity.
I know for a fact that even when Melbourne got beat by 20, they never gave up.
Roosters got done tonight but hung tough to the end.
How do you explain the Parramatta loss? I call it surrender. Embarrassing.
So do you still want to argue the toss?

I was just letting you know that yes these teams have had some heavy defeats this season too. You seem to dwell a lot on one loss, but our results this season have been good for the most part, otherwise we wouldn't be sitting in 4th spot. The way we bounced back after the heavy defeat says more than the defeat itself.

epDragon62

First Grade
I was just letting you know that yes these teams have had some heavy defeats this season too. You seem to dwell a lot on one loss, but our results this season have been good for the most part, otherwise we wouldn't be sitting in 4th spot. The way we bounced back after the heavy defeat says more than the defeat itself.
Today will be significant...

I have to say I just don't agree with you.
Our defence against the Tigers improved out of sight but honestly, compared to the Parramatta game, it had to.
As for the rest of the performance it was ordinary and our cause was greatly assisted by the Tigers self destructing and completing at 60%.
Mann, Sims and Leilua were instrumental in winning that game.
Our attack was clunky - again and our kicking game was ordinary.
Bears no resemblance to the first half of the season.
I want to be optimistic but I can only comment on what I see, not what I think we are capable of.
You also know that I am not focused just on one game, even though that was a doozy.
The reality is that we have a propensity to lose important/critical games.
Don't worry, we have 2 teams leading into the finals that on paper, we should wipe the floor with.
Let's see how we go.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
Turns out Mary is good at something.
Spin Doctor.
Because the BS he pedeled on this show - which I was for one /Glass half full - Guy/
was absolute TRIPE.

I think Doust must get a cut for every resigning his does - cause his track record knows no bounds

dannyt

Coach
So we bounced back from a heavy defeat to beat a team who couldn't hold the ball, then followed that up by the abortion that was yesterday. A complete abortion given the occasion and the state of play.

So where does that leave us now?

So we bounced back from a heavy defeat to beat a team who couldn't hold the ball, then followed that up by the abortion that was yesterday. A complete abortion given the occasion and the state of play.

So where does that leave us now?
I honestly don't know.
I've been a ticketed member for years, my kids have been ticketed members thier whole lives, next year we were considering upgrading to gold membership in the grandstand.

So I don't say this lightly, but if McGregor is not gone next year will not be renewing any tickets and the club will know in no uncertain terms why.

I won't be alone, I spoke to a lot of old time members who fork out big money for gold membership and they were all saying that sans any changes across the whole club they are prepared to walk away too.

dannyt

Coach
I honestly don't know.
I've been a ticketed member for years, my kids have been ticketed members thier whole lives, next year we were considering upgrading to gold membership in the grandstand.

So I don't say this lightly, but if McGregor is not gone next year will not be renewing any tickets and the club will know in no uncertain terms why.

I won't be alone, I spoke to a lot of old time members who fork out big money for gold membership and they were all saying that sans any changes across the whole club they are prepared to walk away too.
Let's hope that mary is walking the green mile as we speak.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Tend to agree, and why I don't rate mary as a coach.

He doesn't seem to plan for the future. Sure, he picks players in a 21 man squad with many youngsters on the list. However, he usually culls the same 4 of 5, leaves 1 on the bench, and plays with a 16 man rotation. How the hell does a young player get any FG experience? Does he think being in the squad all week or sitting for 80 minutes on the bench equates to actually spending time on the field in FG?
Yep McGregor would have to be the worse bench organiser in NRL history....hes rooted Manns development and I still say both Vavili and Milne would have developed well for us under a different coach
I'm prepared to call for an taxi immediately providing it's not a return trip ................
I noticed you said You'd be prepared to call a taxi.....well mate Im prepared to pay for it

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
I honestly don't know.

There'll be a real exodus & money talks
Need to bombard the board with letters right now
It's strange that this fool seems bigger than the Club
They're all afraid of the domino effect
Yesterday indicated a lack of respect for the jumper, each other & the fans, and is the product of a team culture shaped by Mary's stupidity over his tenure as 'coach'
A principled human being would've handed in his commission at 6pm yesterday

blacksafake

First Grade
I honestly don't know.

Doust will most likely give you the same reply he gave me which was.
You're not a true supporter then if you don't become a member.lol