What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL All Stars fullback Billy Slater injures his ankle at training

NRL All Stars fullback Billy Slater injures his ankle at training

By Tom Sangster
February 08, 2010 The NRL All Stars have endured another injury scare ahead of this Saturday's clash, with star fullback Billy Slater going down at training.
The Kangaroos and Queensland fullback was left clutching his right ankle after falling during a ball work drill at Coogee Oval in Sydney’s east.

He hobbled off the field with the assistance of team officials and was promptly iced and strapped.

He did not return to the field, although the incident occurred late in the session.

Team officials gave little indication whether the injury will keep Slater out of the blockbuster clash against the Indigenous All Stars, which will be played at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast.

The incident is the latest in a string of injury concerns surrounding the game, with five players already ruled out.

Key forwards Dave Taylor, Gareth Ellis and Alan Tongue have been forced to withdraw from the NRL All Stars line-up, with Sam Burgess, Robbie Farah and David Shillington called in to replace them.

The Indigenous All Stars have lost Melbourne Storm’s Greg Inglis and Penrith signing Daine Laurie, who have been replaced by South Sydney centre Beau Champion and new Gold Coast Titans recruit Greg Bird.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26691688-23214,00.html

Gaffman

Juniors
Yeah Slats should still take the field but lets hope Jarryd gets more minutes at the back.

Personally i don't mind ol' Birdy, i hope his comeback is a big one and his name gets thrown around for origin this year, his aggression at that level is just awesome. Remember that hit he put on thurston after the kick a couple years back... brilliant.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
So how did they decide on the replacement players?

Once again the whole idea was not fully thought out and although I like the premise and think the game will be interesting to watch I think we are not going to see the best teams play.

Gronk

Staff member
Slater is officially out.

Hayne will start @ fullback.

Coach Bennett has called in Storm player Brett Finch to sit on the bench.

Now this game really IS a farce.

The Colonel

Immortal
Now this game really IS a farce.

It already was when you consider Melbourne had three selections for the game already for the All-Star side with the two automatic selections.

The four biggest vote getters at one point in time were Mateo, Hayne, Hindmarsh and Moimoi yet only one gets a position.

All the players 'dropping' out to be replaced with players that would either not rate a mention or haven't even played an NRL game yet.

:roll:

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
it feels like tha Aus team that goes and plays in PNG each year

If you're semi well known and super entusiastic, you get a go.

born an eel

Bench
Brett Finch is an All Star

gonna get an all stars jersey with lolfinch on the back now
I thought this was a popularity contest and players were supposed to be replaced with the next highest vote getter of a similar nature from the same team.

So Finch is going to be an outside back this year. :lol:

Gronk

Staff member
Feeling sorry for PJ Marsh who was also ruled out with a dodgy back.

He's only been aboriginal for a few months apparently.

PJ Marshal

Coach
I thought this was a popularity contest and players were supposed to be replaced with the next highest vote getter of a similar nature from the same team.

finch was my number one vote from melbourne anyway haha

Dutchy

Immortal

Turner went to Duds.
Tomane to Tits.
Cronk is injured.
Slater and Inglis have been picked and pulled out.
Chambers went to Yawnion.
Quinn has turned into an injured dud.

Brett Bradbury Finch gets the gig.

Hayne to FB, Finch to the bench to get about 10 mins game time.

Latest posts